No announcement yet.

Our new Boykin Spaniel - Jake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good looking pup. Sure makes me miss my Boykin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Guage is looking great!

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
        Good looking pup. Sure makes me miss my Boykin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Same thought...

Looks like you got another great one

Comment

Gauge has some wicked awesome hair

He looks like he's coming on strong. Mine is sleeping at my feet right now but we haven't gone out this season yet.

Comment

Did Gauge give you that hair above your lip?

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                Gauge has some wicked awesome hair

He looks like he's coming on strong. Mine is sleeping at my feet right now but we haven't gone out this season yet.

I gave him a cut a couple weeks back but his head was just too awesome to trim

Comment

Serious questions here.

Ive been looking into these dogs for a while now. What is the price range from a good breeder? Also, on the passing of Jake (sorry for your loss btw) was this an unexpected deal or do health issue run in the Boykin line? (like french bulldogs and skin allergies)
                  And how do you feel about training? Do they pick up commands better than labs, etc.

Only asking because this is youre 2nd one and both dogs look amazing.
                  Thanks for any help Clay.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinkey View Post
                    Serious questions here.

Ive been looking into these dogs for a while now. What is the price range from a good breeder? Also, on the passing of Jake (sorry for your loss btw) was this an unexpected deal or do health issue run in the Boykin line? (like french bulldogs and skin allergies)
                    And how do you feel about training? Do they pick up commands better than labs, etc.

Only asking because this is youre 2nd one and both dogs look amazing.
                    Thanks for any help Clay.
                    Thank you

I'm not 100% sure on pricing but I would bet you're looking at $1500-2000 range.

As for the loss of Jake....he got out, got to trailing something, and ended up getting run over about 5 miles from the house.

The Boykin Spaniel Society is pretty strict on the breeding requirements and I am not aware of any major health issues within the breed. Gauge had some allergies as a pup but he grew out of it.

For training, I think I've been pretty lucky. Both Jake and now Gauge have the god-given obsession with birds and the drive to please. Lots of positive reinforcement with a little bit of stern discipline is usually all it takes. Jake could get a little stubborn but I think that was mainly my fault as he got older.

Hope that answers your questions

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                      Thank you

I'm not 100% sure on pricing but I would bet you're looking at $1500-2000 range.

As for the loss of Jake....he got out, got to trailing something, and ended up getting run over about 5 miles from the house.

The Boykin Spaniel Society is pretty strict on the breeding requirements and I am not aware of any major health issues within the breed. Gauge had some allergies as a pup but he grew out of it.

For training, I think I've been pretty lucky. Both Jake and now Gauge have the god-given obsession with birds and the drive to please. Lots of positive reinforcement with a little bit of stern discipline is usually all it takes. Jake could get a little stubborn but I think that was mainly my fault as he got older.

Hope that answers your questions
                      Thanks for taking the time to answer. Wife and I have really been kicking it around about getting one. Just dont know anyone that has one or has a history with them.
                      Thanks again bud!

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbow View Post
                        spoiled rotten already! lol great looking pup
                        yeah, look like Jake is gonna have a rough life.

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                          yeah, look like Jake is gonna have a rough life.

I hate when I don’t read the whole thread ...[emoji3061][emoji3061]

Comment

Good lookin Pup, GLHF.

Comment

This thread was a great read and i'm so sorry to hear about Jake a while back. I lost my best Heeler growing up very similar. However, when one door closes; another opens! Gauge looks like one fine pup!

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                                And he’s finally starting to fill out and put some weight on. He looks very similar to Jake with the blocky head and solid build

Who’s a good boy? Gauge is, that’s who! You can tell Gauge is an awesome dog just by the look in this pic. Smart, ready to please, waiting on a command, what a cool dog. Wishing you years of good hunting and good times with Gauge.

Comment

Working...
                                X