Identity theft protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity theft protection

I had Zander ID theft protection for about 10 years, however I noticed my Norton Antivirus now offers LifeLock. I canceled Zander about 8 months ago, because I though Norton had me covered. I just found out that LifeLock is extra, to the tune of about $350 a year. This has me researching other options for ID theft protection. I was the victim of ID theft in 2012 when someone filed a tax return with the IRS and collected a refund before I filed my return.

About 3 years ago, someone opened a credit card with BOA, that I got lucky and happened to see when I logged in to pay my credit card bill. I notified BOA and had it shut down before the thief ever received the card and made a charge. I've had 2 charges to my debit card in Dallas about the same time, which were credited back to me, and new debit cards were issued.

I see there are numerous ID theft protection companies. Has anyone ever used any of these? There are several more, but these seem to be the top rated companies.

• LifeLock
    • Zander
    • Identity Guard
    • Identity Force
    • Privacy Guard
    • Identity IQ

Have you ever been a victim if ID theft? Have you used ID theft protection services, and are you happy with the way they handled it?

Farmers got us covered. Dumped Life Lock......

Comment

I think I saw the Germania has that listed on our policy, too. I may have to check into that, but am concerned it won't be very good coverage since they threw it in for free.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are a victim of ID theft you can go to the Federal Trade Commission website, report it and they have step by step instructions on how to recover. The FTC alerts the IRS.

Report identity theft and get a recovery plan

My 93 year old Mother had someone use her identity to file for unemployment recently. She received a 1099-G from the State of Ohio.

I started out by reporting it on the Ohio ID theft website. Then I froze her credit with all three credit reporting agencies. Followed up, put a fraud alert on all three agencies and filed a police report.

I called Germania and they said I had already done what their third party contractor would do. So far so good.

Sadly most, if not all, of our information is for sale out there on the dark web.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
          If you are a victim of ID theft you can go to the Federal Trade Commission website, report it and they have step by step instructions on how to recover. The FTC alerts the IRS.

Report identity theft and get a recovery plan

My 93 year old Mother had someone use her identity to file for unemployment recently. She received a 1099-G from the State of Ohio.

I started out by reporting it on the Ohio ID theft website. Then I froze her credit with all three credit reporting agencies. Followed up, put a fraud alert on all three agencies and filed a police report.

I called Germania and they said I had already done what their third party contractor would do. So far so good.

Sadly most, if not all, of our information is for sale out there on the dark web.

I hate to hear that, but it does make me think that I should freze my mother's credit reports. She is in her 80's and doesn't use the internet and I am sure she wouldn't have a clue until major damage was done.

Comment

Working...
          X