No announcement yet.

How do you pay for your truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cash Secured Loan, I have plenty of money to pay cash for a new truck, but why? I borrow against my own money and pay myself back with interest. That way my nest egg continues to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Cash, unless there is an incentive to finance. Then pay it off after the first payment comes due.
      This is what I do. If there is a finance incentive then I finance it and then pay it off after a month. They will usually let you swipe a credit card up to a certain amount. I do that too and get the points and immediately pay that off. If there is no incentives to borrow then I pay cash.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
        The recent thread on truck prices got me thinking, which is dangerous. But how do you pay for your truck? Cash? Loan? Lease? If you pay through a loan, how the heck do you afford those large monthly payments?
        Majority of America doesn't. Its the new way.

Pay on plastic.

I paid my new truck off, when I bought it 7 years ago in 3 years at 1.49%.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward F View Post
          Never put a down payment down and never will. I got 0% financing so no need to pay it off as soon as possible.
          0% financing in lieu of an incentive is just another way of saying prepaid interest. Marketing gimmick.

Comment

Originally posted by Edward F View Post
            Never put a down payment down and never will. I got 0% financing so no need to pay it off as soon as possible.
            LOL! Please tell me you honestly don't think its 0%?

Why not pay it off early and invest that monthly payment to actually make money? And not throw it away on a depreciating asset

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
              LOL! Please tell me you honestly don't think its 0%?

Why not pay it off early and invest that monthly payment to actually make money? And not throw it away on a depreciating asset
              I think he's saying they normally get you on the price of the vehicle when 0% financing is offered.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Put a decent chunk of money down, and have a decent trade in value as well to get the loan terms favorable. I’ve got roughly $40K equity in current truck. Hoping by the time I need the next one to be able to scratch a check for the difference.

Comment

I just know when buy vehicles. When COVID hit last year and no one was buying vehicles I was in the dealership.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    This is what I do. If there is a finance incentive then I finance it and then pay it off after a month. They will usually let you swipe a credit card up to a certain amount. I do that too and get the points and immediately pay that off. If there is no incentives to borrow then I pay cash.
                    This is what we do, I hate carrying a vehicle note

Comment

Always use someone else's money if it free.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                        Early in our marriage when money was tight we adapted a policy to only have one car payment at a time. We have stuck with that for 33 years. My current truck is only 2 years old but last month it was time to get my wife a new ride so we financed hers and paid mine off. It helps that I keep my trucks for 10 years.
                        Exactly what we have done. I am only 13 years into marriage but will continue to do the same. We both started with paid off vehicles. I needed one first. Financed, pretty much 0%. We paid off mine sooner than we needed to. Saved the payments we weren't making to put a good down payment on my wife a new one when she needed. Paying extra to get that one paid off.

We are averaging 8-10 years on ours having started out before married.

Comment

I have a personal goal of making my truck last until at least 250K miles. When you drive a truck that long, you've paid it off long ago and don't care.

Comment

Fortunately my business pays for my truck, but I don't like payments. I buy used 1-2 yr old with low mileage, put 50% down and finance for 24 months and try to pay off in 12 months.

My wife keeps cars for years, she has an 07, and an 08. I tried to get her a new car last year and she said since she is retired and doesn't drive but a few hundred miles a month, she didn't want to spend the money.

Just my opinion, 0 down and 0% interest and 5 or 6 yr notes are a recipe for disaster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

If its financed you really cant afford it anyway

Comment

Whats the incentive of pulling $50K out of savings and paying cash for a vehicle vs. monthly notes with 0% interest? Drive-out price being the same.

FTR....I stopped paying stupid tax in 2006 on new vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                                X