Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Budget rifle options in a cheap to shoot calibre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am considering a bolt action in a cheap(er) to shoot calibre. 7.62x39 seems to fit the bill ideally in a Ruger American Ranch but open to other options.

I had started looking at a 6.5x55 milsurp rifles but even those prices are silly at the moment. Considered 6.5 CM but cost of ammo and the fact I own a .308 makes me think the 6.5s aren’t going to provide cheaper shooting or ballistic advantages for the distances I shoot. So I keep coming back to the cheap steel cased 7.62x39!

Incidentally i do have a 350 legend AR upper but these days even that ammo isn’t as cheap as it was - I did consider a Ruger American in 350 as I have magazines and ammo but it feels like I should use the option to try and new calibre?

Interested to see what y’all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A .22 rimfire or .17 rimfire are going to be the cheapest to feed. After that the .223 Rem, and 7.62x39 will be the most economical with cheap factory fmj’s. Hand loading used to be able to lessen the cost but I think those days are behind us.

I think everyone should own a nice .22 bolt gun and shoot the pi$$ out of it.

Comment

What are you gonna be shootin with it? For varmints 150 yards or less I vote for the Savage B-Mag in .17WSM.

Comment

I’m not sure I’ll be shooting anything but paper..maybe hogs? As I say the 308 and AR with 350 and 223 uppers cover a lot of hunting scenarios. I had considered the 22mag but .17wsm could be worth a look. No recoil and relatively inexpensive. Good shout thank you!

Last edited by AfricaninTexas; 03-07-2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AfricaninTexas View Post
          I’m not sure I’ll be shooting anything but paper..maybe hogs? As I say the 308 and AR with 350 and 223 uppers cover a lot of hunting scenarios. I had considered the 22mag but .17wsm could be worth a look. No recoil and relatively inexpensive. Good shout thank you!

You should buy my 308, it would serve you well shooting off a bench.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

May look at the cz 527 line as well in the 7.62x39

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              May look at the cz 527 line as well in the 7.62x39Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
              Bought one recently in .223 and LOVE IT

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                Bought one recently in .223 and LOVE IT

I like the look of these - especially that they have open sights too. Crazy thing is the Ruger American 7.62 is the same price or more than the walnut stocked CZ

Comment

i bought a howa mini in 7.62x39 rifle and scope combo.. for $499 , it came with a nikko stirling illuminated scope which wasn't bad , but i swapped it for my nikon mil mil and a 40 moa base. sighted it in this weekend with 154 gr wolf.. shot pretty good , so much that i decided to try 500 yards ... phone app said 6.5 mil , ended up adding .5 mil and hit gong 5 out of 5 times ... good enough! it's gonna be a hog gun anyways, but it seems to shoot pretty decent , 154's are really not that great to shoot further (slow and bc not that great) , but they sure seem to penetrate better on hogs up close.. not sure you can shoot anything else with decent hunting power any cheaper...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                    i bought a howa mini in 7.62x39 rifle and scope combo.. for $499 , it came with a nikko stirling illuminated scope which wasn't bad , but i swapped it for my nikon mil mil and a 40 moa base. sighted it in this weekend with 154 gr wolf.. shot pretty good , so much that i decided to try 500 yards ... phone app said 6.5 mil , ended up adding .5 mil and hit gong 5 out of 5 times ... good enough! it's gonna be a hog gun anyways, but it seems to shoot pretty decent , 154's are really not that great to shoot further (slow and bc not that great) , but they sure seem to penetrate better on hogs up close.. not sure you can shoot anything else with decent hunting power any cheaper...

I agree they are about as cheap as you can get with actual hunting potential. Did look at that exact package - last one I saw for sale went for about $900!

Comment

7.62x39 SKS. Buy a dust cover with a rail for optics.
                      7.62x54R Mosin Nagant 20 cent milsup ammo is gone but you can still find new for under 60 cents. As far as mounting optics you are limited.
                      Last edited by texaspacker; 03-08-2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I think the Ruger would be fine

Comment

A buddy of mine has the Ruger American Ranch in X39 and it just plain stupid accurate. It shoots everything he has fed it into less than an inch. The Fiochi brass cased FMJ shoots bug holes.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                            A buddy of mine has the Ruger American Ranch in X39 and it just plain stupid accurate. It shoots everything he has fed it into less than an inch. The Fiochi brass cased FMJ shoots bug holes.

Thats what I hear - seems like they are suddenly the firearm to have because that $450 rifle is fetching over double. I guess I can be patient and wait for them to come back in stock but it’s hard!! Lol

Comment

While I was set on the RAR in 7.62x39, The .17HMR peaked my interest. Maybe a Savage B17 FV or Tikka T1X though they’re a little pricier. I could use my 22 suppressor on it too and while it’s not 22lr cheap it’s certainly not center fire territory. Anyone shooting one of the .17s?

Comment

Working...
                              X