No announcement yet.

Land search and purchasing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these comments are awesome. Great post OP.

I will start looking next year. Hoping for 100 acres or more. Anyone buy in Oklahoma? It's a drive for me but their prices seem reasonable.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Listed prices are high. Actual prices from unadvertised places are sometimes reasonable.

BP

Comment

I agree with everyone above about the expense of utilities, water, etc. My property only had electricity up and going so I had to add the water well and septic. All expensive. I will say, that I have spent an enormous amount of money on a variety of things on our ranch, way more than expected. Just keep that in mind as you attempt to set a realistic budget....it’s going to be more expensive than you think. To be fair, it’s all very exciting and rewarding expenses.

Comment

Yup. Folks say purchasing land is like feeding an alligator: but at least it’s your alligator.

Comment

There's a lot of good advice on here already. One thing I'll add, which might not be a factor for you, is location relative to friends and family that you might want to share it with. I bought a property within a reasonable distance of my house, and I love it. My only regret is that it's the wrong direction for some friends and family that I would like to invite out there to hunt, shoot, work, etc.

Comment

Find a reputable broker in the area you want to be and put them on the hunt. Let them know what your greatest wants are and what you can do without and then start a conversation with capital farm credit or someone similar to find out what you are pre approved for and what you can afford. This helps take some of the guesswork out and really narrow down what you are looking for so it doesnt seem like such a daunting task. Its important to know that what you are looking for is probably the most widely popular criteria for people buying land so if you find something you love and can afford it be prepared to move quick, which being pre approved and financing in order will help with.

Comment

There is no problem partnering if you buy together but go ahead and survey out each others part, We don't plan on putting a fence between us so we both have more land to play on but if any thing goes wrong then it is already taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  There is no problem partnering if you buy together but go ahead and survey out each others part, We don't plan on putting a fence between us so we both have more land to play on but if any thing goes wrong then it is already taken care of.
                  I have done several deals like this and they have all worked out very well.

Comment

My wife and I purchased our 70 acres in Oklahoma 2 years ago and the main thing I wish I would have looked at more was the fencing. You said it already, but utilities are another top priority. If water isn't close, look at a well map and see what a well might cost you. Make sure you have electricity really close or on the property. Running telephone poles can add up quickly, plus getting permission to run it through someones property. Access is the other main priority. Make sure you can access the property, I would only go for something that I can own the access and not an easement. Good luck in your search! If you weren't so far away I'd say look into Oklahoma. Great prices, low taxes, better hunting seasons, and big bucks!

Comment

We own land in Leon and Madison County (both sides of OSR). We found the deed to the original acres and my father in laws dad bought the place for 2 dollars an acre for the first 60 and almost 3 an acre for the second 60 back in the 40s. Land is going up. For sure, in 07 we paid 2500an acre. In 2010 we paid 3100 acre for 26 and 2015 we paid 4600 for 120. I think you could get land I. Leon and Madison right now for 5-6k an acre. They are asking 7-10 but they know you can always come down but never go up. I will also say, we tend to end up paying more than the market because be buy land that comes for sale that is connected to our property. Everytime a neighbor sells we try and buy it.

We got ponds, lakes, tanks,running creeks Rolling hills. It’s beautiful country for sure. Not the biggest or most abundant game in the state but we got plenty and it’s an easy 2 hr drive from my drive to the farm.

Comment

My mom’s cousin passed away a few years ago and owned about 1000 acres in Fayette and Washington county. They are In the process of selling all his
                        Land. It’s near Carmine/Roundtop. Look on trulia or Zillow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you dont mind being in East Texas 5 mins from Lake Sam Rayburn let me know. We've got some for sale way cheaper than that. Has plenty of road access and should be easy to run electricity/water on to it.

Comment

If a lower down payment helps you reach your goals, Shoot me a PM as I can do 15% down payment instead of 20% on Farm/Ag Land.

Comment

Working...
                            X