No announcement yet.

Men and Women in Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tvc, you outlasted me bud! I could only go 31.5 years and the last few years were eating me up inside. It definitely isn't the same as it was when I started and when it was fun.

If you ever get up to B/CS, let me know and I'll buy you a beer......or a donut.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      No truer words than that.

I have been called to the carpet, typed and turned in more than one statement on misconduct. I feel like if the majority of the folks that complain about the 'blue line' knew more about what it represents to those that stand on it, we'd be in a better place with our relationship with the public.

TVC, over the years reading your posts I believe you to be one of the supervisors most street guys hate to loose and the next group loves to gain. A cops cop. Its easy to get behind brass that are willing to get down and crawl thru the mud with you rather than sit behind their bars or stripes and bark orders.

Good luck in your retirement, it sounds like you deserve it.
      Thank you.

I thought of retiring a couple of years ago but we had a change in upper administration. I had guys from patrol up to lieutenants say, we really need you right now. No, no one is indispensable but the sentiment was very humbling and kind of emotional to me.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        TVC. You earned that mailbox money. I’m done as well as soon as I can sell everything I own in the area and find where the wife and I want to live.
        Thanks. I talked to my wife today, thinking whether to hang on till the end of the year or pull the plug now. She said if you want to do it, do it.

Thinking... thinking...

It seems both exciting and at the same time kind of scary. I hope the exciting part wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
          tvc, you outlasted me bud! I could only go 31.5 years and the last few years were eating me up inside. It definitely isn't the same as it was when I started and when it was fun.

If you ever get up to B/CS, let me know and I'll buy you a beer......or a donut.
          I haven’t been there for about 4 years for a cousin’s funeral. I wouldn’t drive two and a half hours for a beer but for a donut.....

Comment

TVC- you need to talk to Doug. He said at first he felt guilty not working- It didn’t last long and he highly Recommends it now.

Comment

They interviewed one of the union higher ups from NYC & he stated there were over 600 officers ranging from rookies to veterans getting ready to quit / retire & that was last week...hard to fathom how our country got to this ugly place in such short order.

Comment

What worries me is what the police departments are going to look like after all you good officers have been driven out. I feel for you guys and gals. It's a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  They interviewed one of the union higher ups from NYC & he stated there were over 600 officers ranging from rookies to veterans getting ready to quit / retire & that was last week...hard to fathom how our country got to this ugly place in such short order.
                  I don’t blame any law man/ woman for quitting ASAP. The disrespect is rampant and getting worse. I want to know is do they ( police unions and members ) regret that they worked hard to get these Democrats elected so they could get huge benefit and retirement packages?

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                    Thanks. I talked to my wife today, thinking whether to hang on till the end of the year or pull the plug now. She said if you want to do it, do it.

Thinking... thinking...

It seems both exciting and at the same time kind of scary. I hope the exciting part wins.
                    Its reall weird at first. First couple of months I felt extremely guilty! Felt guilty that my buddy's were working and I kept getting a really nice paycheck for nothing. Just felt kind of lost. I soon got over that and realized it was absolutely the best thing I ever did!

I did 33 and been gone 2 last month and never been happier! The thing that really shocked me though is how different my wife, daughter, and friends say I am. Apparently I wasn't the nicest or easiest person to be around while I was working. All of them have said how different I am now. Happier, friendlier, more pleasant, and that they actually enjoy being around me now! All those years I never realized how much of that crap i brought home.

I say do it now and dont look back! Times are changing and theres nothing good on the horizon. Get out and enjoy life. Like Glen said I highly recommend it! Do what you want when you want!

One finally thought about not waiting. A very close buddy who I worked with for 30 years retired about about a year ago. 6 months into retirement he gets a cancer diagnosis. It's now stage 4 and I doubt he will make it thru the year. He was a good officer and one of the better guys I've ever known. He was one of the ones that always talked about and looked forward to retirement! Just breaks my heart to see him going thru this. Do it now and dont look back, you never know what life is going to hand you!

Good luck with your decision and congratulations when you do pull the plug.

Comment

Fly it may come to a surprise but most systems are set up just like the military and retirement is used as a benefit to get people to actually make it a career. Do you think US Military career soldiers should receive a pension and medical benefits?

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                        Fly it may come to a surprise but most systems are set up just like the military and retirement is used as a benefit to get people to actually make it a career. Do you think US Military career soldiers should receive a pension and medical benefits?
                        I’m a fireman I know how the systems work. But the Public service unions ( at least 99% of them) actively work to get Democrats elected......not working out now

Comment

I don’t even care about the retirement packages. I’m just curious if they regret working so hard to elect the same people who demonize them today

Comment

i will have 15 years at the end of the month, the last 5 have been as an SRO and have been awesome. when school shut down they plugged all of us SROs in to patrol, and its been anything but awesome. if for some reason they dont allow us to go back to the schools in august i may be looking for a move, whether its a complete career change or not, who knows. there are a few other LE options i may look into.

i always planned on doing 23 years, that would get both my boys out of school, and then getting in to coaching, which is funny because i have several friends that are or have been coaches and they all say that coaching is probably just as bad as being a cop...tongue in cheek of course.

good luck to all you guys out there hanging on, and be safe.

Comment

Working...
                            X