• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
    Good luck finding what you’re after.
    I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I started the TBH Find A Job thread for folks who were looking... Maybe give it a look. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        I started the TBH Find A Job thread for folks who were looking... Maybe give it a look. Good luck!

I have checked it out. A lot of good info. in there.

Comment

Same boat, Military was my calling but got ended short ( med retired) went to the oilfield right after and enjoyed it while it lasted, Currently doing federal corrections, and I hate it!

Comment

ttt

Comment

Still looking for ideas.

Comment

My BIL works for the railroad and if he was t committed to his retirement he’s said he would have left years ago. Missed most of the kids growing up, etc. I have no advice on the railroad but life is too short to be unhappy and not spend time with family. I’ve spent years chasing money and titles and since my daughter was born have realized that I’ve been all wrong. Providing is important but make sure you’re happy and able to spend time with your family

Comment

I gave up my 5 years of seniority with UP in TE&Y, when my wife was pregnant with our first. My biggest mistake was going to engine service. Not sure what my conductor seniority would hold anyways. Probably the road or xtra board. I got a job with International Paper working rotating shift off 14 days a month. Best decision Ive made. Good luck to you. I know the RR is tough and your just another number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d like to strongly suggest that you seek out a professional—a career counselor—for help. When making a major career change, there are two times when it’s important to seek professional guidance: one is when you’re leaving a highly specialized field (sounds like yours is) and, two, when you’re uncertain as to what you want to do or are qualified to do next. Seems like you fit both criteria.

Career counselors can help assess your skills, interests, AND aptitudes. From this type of assessment, they can present you with a list of jobs or careers that align with your inventory of aptitudes and then guide you to industries in your region that may be on your list. They offer other services as well, which you may or may not feel you need (resume writing, interview coaching, negotiating salary and benefits, etc.). The important part, I feel, is the initial assessment and feedback because, without some sort of clarity, it’s difficult to figure out which direction to go.

I noticed you live in Conroe. I’d imagine you’d have no trouble finding a number of these professionals nearby.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Comment

Not RR related, although I did it. Actually at the time, I did not realize how burnt out I really was. Went from industrial machinist/pump/compressor mechanic for over 22 years of working mass amounts of overtime. Career switched to entry level industrial safety. My biggest issue was that had kids in college at the time and thought we was going to starve. It turned out to be an absolutely great life change. The safety job transitioned over to an occupational medic running an onsite industrial clinic. Life is good and we have been blessed. Best of luck with it........cC

Comment

Most of the people that I know that say that they love their job.....

Were right where you are and made a jump or took a leap, at some point.

Comment

I got into Millwrights when I was 18 and now nearly 55. I don't turn wrench's at work anymore, I just make sure the repairs are done correctly.

Comment

Seniority date 06/2006 BN. It has definitely changed in my time, but I'm to old for a change. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel shining.

Comment

Man, I am right there with you.. After almost 10 years in my industry, I am flat burned out.. Sitting in front of a computer all day is killing me..

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
                                Do it man!! Life is too short to not look forward to going to work every day.
                                This! You don't have to love your job, but if you dread everyday at work it is time to move. You can never make up time missed with Family.

Comment

Working...
                                X