? for fire fighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
    You might want to talk to some HFD medics before you think about being a medic there. To be a medic and be good at it in the city you need to truly have a passion for it otherwise you'll just be another ****** off medic. All you need to get in a fast track class is your fire cert and emt. However if you a really NOT wanting to be a medic I would go NON CERTIFIED. It's a longer class but you are less likely to get picked up to be a medic.

Being a medic gets you nothing promotion wise.

Medics in HFD get the short end of a very long stick. Talk to a medic in the city! Talk to a medic in the city! Anyone hear me mention he should talk to a medic in the city?

Also I highly doubt you're gonna wanna ride an ambulance on your day off after riding it in the city. If you do, you are truly a rare and in my opinion F...up breed.

If you have anymore questions you can PM me. I'll be honest, ems in Houston will test you mentally just about everyday unless you luck out and go to a slow house, which btw you won't till you have at least 10 years.

Good luck and talk to a medic in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This^^^^

Unless you are a very special type of person, you will get burned out quick as an HFD Medic, trust me. I would try and get on as quick as I could and let them pay you to go to school. You may or may not have the option to go to paramedic school with the city. I did not have the option nd it took me 6 years to get off the medic. Honestly though, I would look at other departments along with HFD. With all of our issues with the COH, there are no guarantees; especially with our pension.

Comment

I work in a smaller dept. than Houston & think guys that work in Houston, Dallas & other large cities that run their own ambulances are crazy. I did my Medic ride-outs in Dallas & averaged 23 calls a shift. Nooooooooooo thank you. I already had been employed for over 2 years & I told those guys I thought they were crazy for doing it. Having said that, unlike you, I did NOT want to be a Medic & was only interested in the fire aspect. In all cities I'm aware of, around D/FW, being a Medic puts you higher up on the hiring list.

Comment

[QUOTE=captardvark;11728760]I have been in the dept 13 yrs now pm me or give me a call 832-721-6775 I can help you out[/Q

Best thing you can do.

Comment

To break it down nice and easy within the city i have this term i use, its called the EMS tax. Basically if you wanna fight fire like a wild indian youre gonna have to pay the price by making ems runs. The hotter the station, the more ems youll make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a Sr. Captain in HFD, was assigned to over cadet training at VJTF(Academy). PM questions or your phone and I can answer what you need to know. Right now we will hire anyone with a pulse....

Comment

Originally posted by Captain39 View Post
              I am a Sr. Captain in HFD, was assigned to over cadet training at VJTF(Academy). PM questions or your phone and I can answer what you need to know. Right now we will hire anyone with a pulse....
              PM incoming

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tsix-eightX View Post
                To break it down nice and easy within the city i have this term i use, its called the EMS tax. Basically if you wanna fight fire like a wild indian youre gonna have to pay the price by making ems runs. The hotter the station, the more ems youll make.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                Totally agree. In big cities, the hot house tends to be the busy ambulance house. In order to get more boxes, you have to deal with a busy box. The crappy part is you also have to accept that you may be on the ambulance running on toe pain x3 years, while your brothers are burying up in a fire. It all comes with working for a city that has fire and EMS. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I have no experience in South Texas but around DFW they are nearly all medic preferred and some its a requirement. The difference may be a good amount of money depending on where you get on. My department is medic only but we start in the upper 50's for a rookie medic/ firefighter with top out about 70. We are all dual trained and medics go to fires and make EMS calls too. We run all medic Engine companies also. Its just part of the job rather than being specialized medic or fire only.

Comment

Originally posted by bowmedic View Post
                    I have no experience in South Texas but around DFW they are nearly all medic preferred and some its a requirement. The difference may be a good amount of money depending on where you get on. My department is medic only but we start in the upper 50's for a rookie medic/ firefighter with top out about 70. We are all dual trained and medics go to fires and make EMS calls too. We run all medic Engine companies also. Its just part of the job rather than being specialized medic or fire only.
                    Seems to be the most common trend for fire Depts. Arlington and Ft. Worth are just a few of the bigger DFW cities left that still outsource their ambulances. Everyone else is going in-house.

Comment

Working...
                    X