Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-20-2019, 10:17 PM   #51
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

It's a private business. You can choose not to show them and they can choose to throw you out. Simple as that. It's none of their business, heck you shouldn't even need a stamp in the first place, but your gun rights don't supersede their private property rights.

Last edited by FVR JR; 05-20-2019 at 10:27 PM.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #52
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
The point continues to go right over your head. No one in this thread is talking about NFA owners committing crimes. We are talking about Johnny-Come-Lately and his Maglite can that no one ever thought was a little odd and maybe the RO should check out before the school gets shot up.

Over my head? Thatís rich. Youíre the one that brought the wild conspiracy theory about somebody practicing up to go shoot up a school.

And Iíll say it again, the Barney Fife wanna be at the range is not LE so he can **** up a rope and itís not his place to play one. If heís suspicious call a real LEO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #53
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
It's a private business. You can choose not to show them and they can choose to throw you out. Simple as that. It's none of their business, heck you shouldn't even need a stamp in the first place, but your gun rights don't supersede their private property rights.
Exactly.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 12:44 PM   #54
KX500
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas (whenever I can) & Illinois

If a gun range owner has zero liability when an illegal gun is found to be on his property, then by all means 'don't ask - don't tell'.

But if the situation is that the range owner will face some kind of trouble for not asking/attempting to regulate? Then it is his business - literally & figuratively.
KX500 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #55
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX500 View Post
If a gun range owner has zero liability when an illegal gun is found to be on his property, then by all means 'don't ask - don't tell'.

But if the situation is that the range owner will face some kind of trouble for not asking/attempting to regulate? Then it is his business - literally & figuratively.
Logic. An endangered species these days.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #56
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by KX500 View Post

So they should check your mental health records and call the feds if they think you are a risk?
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #57
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
The point continues to go right over your head. No one in this thread is talking about NFA owners committing crimes. We are talking about Johnny-Come-Lately and his Maglite can that no one ever thought was a little odd and maybe the RO should check out before the school gets shot up.
You took a hard left and went WAY off course with a claim about what "no one on this thread" is talking about.
Question: how does this store's policy stop a school from getting shot up? You think Johnny and his Maglite can are going to admit he doesn't have any paperwork then hang out at the shop for a day while the feds fly down on request to check him out?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 PM   #58
Bruiser
Ten Point

Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #59
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Lol, thanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM   #60
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

ftw
Old 05-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #61
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
You took a hard left and went WAY off course with a claim about what "no one on this thread" is talking about.
Question: how does this store's policy stop a school from getting shot up? You think Johnny and his Maglite can are going to admit he doesn't have any paperwork then hang out at the shop for a day while the feds fly down on request to check him out?
If Iím understanding your hypo correctly, the answer is not that the rangeís policy stopped the school shooting, itís that if a shooting occurred and if your Johnny had practiced a the range with his illegal weapons and no one took the 30 seconds to do some diligence, the rangeís liability would be compounded.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #62
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
If Iím understanding your hypo correctly, the answer is not that the rangeís policy stopped the school shooting, itís that if a shooting occurred and if your Johnny had practiced a the range with his illegal weapons and no one took the 30 seconds to do some diligence, the rangeís liability would be compounded.
Possibly.

Itís your Johnny and I get your angleó itís logical. However itís no different from having them check your mental health status, especially now that these red flag laws are being kicked aroundó or from them doing weapons inspections to make sure your barrel is proper length and you donít have an illegal sear in your AR. What if you shoulder your arm brace in front of a range officer?
Overreach is what all of this is called and hypotheticals about what some attorney could gain from it arenít justification.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #63
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
<snip> hypotheticals about what some attorney could gain from it arenít justification.
Well sure they are, for the range owner. He's trying to cover his azz. The couple jimmies he rustles amongst the Mike Ds of the world are worth it to him if he can show he did what he could to make sure crime wasn't occurring on his property under his watch.

To repeat, I'm not saying I like it. I'm saying that's the world we live in now.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #64
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Quote:
To repeat, I'm not saying I like it. I'm saying that's the world we live in now.
My local range does not choose to stick their nose in my business, so it's the world that people who choose to support such a business live in.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:48 AM   #65
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Good thing they never check wives mental capacity at the range lol. Theyd never be let in.
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top