Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Unit 7 KS, Fannin Co, Grayson Co
Default She said yes! Not what you think..

Where to begin, I need a lot of input here. Wife said YES, sell our Dallas home and move to the sticks. You might know I bought 40 acres in Grayson CO a couple of years ago and at that time she wasn't committed to leaving the big city.

We sold that place for few reasons. Biggest was we couldn't get over the highway noise of 377. Just never felt like we were out of the city. Too many loud azz trucks, motos, and sirens. Never was a quite and peaceful moment.

I need to be within 2 hours of DFW for a 2 or 3 day commute as needed. I own the company I work for so I can do what I want within reason. The wife also works for my company and we can fade her roll out over next year or so. She too can commute the couple days as needed and just ride together.

So here are some questions I need input on:

Budget is 900k MAX and need at least 100 acres. We are looking at places with older farm house or barndo existing. Something to live in while I build our dream house.

1. Are we too young to do this? Will we go crazy after a while being way from it all? I think I will be just fine, but I worry the wife will go cabin crazy. We are in our mid 40s.

2. Do any of you do something similar as far as commute and is it tolerable?

3. Where to? This one is tough. I wanted N TX and thought I found my dream place. 250 acres on Bridgeport but seller backed out. So I started thinking I should go east to be near my Dad. He is all the family I have and maybe I need to think long term to help him. He is in Alba, TX and I found a couple places around him. There are some deer but not like N TX obliviously. I love the ol man but not enough to have him on my place lol. He is best staying right where he is.

I like Denton Co but geez nothing in my budget. Jack and Wise Co have some options but getting a little far out. I have looked at about everything on land watch and lands of TX. Any other sites I should look at?

Take a look at this one, anyone know deer quality behind Fork dam?

https://www.landsoftexas.com/propert...-75783/5976031

Looking at that one and this one Thursday.

https://www.landsoftexas.com/propert...-75783/5743427

Is it possible for Wood county to have great deer in 10 years or so? I don't recall N TX having monsters until mid 90s. But that was pre Internet.

Any input form commuters or self employed guys would be great. My company has exploded last 3 years and almost runs itself with the great employees I have (115 of them). Maybe I am doing this move to soon? I do worry about economic down turn and possibility of hurting my operation by being distant. On the other hand not getting any younger and land isn't getting any cheaper.

Really appreciate any feedback guys, now that she said yes I am nervous if this is right timing for this. I hate living in the city and my neighbors..

We have one Son and he is at Tech and doing great. I dont see any reason for him to move back home. But always welcome wherever we are.

Sean

Last edited by Spearchunker; 11-13-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Spearchunker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #2
Lawhunter
Ten Point

No help, but sounds awesome! Good luck to you
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I think I would migrate closer to your Dad. I don't think you are too young, company doing good. I think it would be a good time to try it. You could always say it didn't work out and sell the place and move back. Things are not going to get cheaper. Good Luck.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

You will never regret it, and one day you will look back and wonder how in the world you lived in the big city. The only traffic jams these days are the cotton combine custom harvesters once a year. lol
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
SharpStix
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Best of luck to you. I really miss living/hunting in east Texas (moved to FW from Tyler). There are some big deer in those woods. Both tracts are large enough and appear to be located in areas that will allow you to manage the worst part about hunting east Texas: neighbors that don't respect property lines and poachers. Watch out for black panthers.
SharpStix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #6
wloftis
Eight Point

Hunt In: All Over Texas

Have you looked in Poetry area? My brother in law bought some land there and built a pretty nice barndo/shop; not a ton of deer but there are some big ones on camera.
wloftis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #7
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloftis View Post
Have you looked in Poetry area? My brother in law bought some land there and built a pretty nice barndo/shop; not a ton of deer but there are some big ones on camera.
Yes and Royse City, I was blown away at some of the deer on a Royse City place. Have not found a heavy cover place out there. I found a few Fannin I may look at next.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearchunker View Post
Where to begin, I need a lot of input here. Wife said YES, sell our Dallas home and move to the sticks. You might know I bought 40 acres in Grayson CO a couple of years ago and at that time she wasn't committed to leaving the big city.

We sold that place for few reasons. Biggest was we couldn't get over the highway noise of 377. Just never felt like we were out of the city. Too many loud azz trucks, motos, and sirens. Never was a quite and peaceful moment.

I need to be within 2 hours of DFW for a 2 or 3 day commute as needed. I own the company I work for so I can do what I want within reason. The wife also works for my company and we can fade her roll out over next year or so. She too can commute the couple days as needed and just ride together.

Budget is 900k MAX and need at least 100 acres. We are looking at places with older farm house or barndo existing. Something to live in while I build our dream house.

1. Are we too young to do this? Will we go crazy after a while being way from it all? I think I will be just fine, but I worry the wife will go cabin crazy. We are in our mid 40s.

3. Where to? This one is tough. I wanted N TX and thought I found my dream place. 250 acres on Bridgeport but seller backed out. So I started thinking I should go east to be near my Dad. He is all the family I have and maybe I need to think long term to help him. He is in Alba, TX and I found a couple places around him. There are some deer but not like N TX obliviously. I love the ol man but not enough to have him on my place lol. He is best staying right where he is.

I like Denton Co but geez nothing in my budget. Jack and Wise Co have some options but getting a little far out. I have looked at about everything on land watch and lands of TX. Any other sites I should look at?

Is it possible for Wood county to have great deer in 10 years or so? I don't recall N TX having monsters until mid 90s. But that was pre Internet.

Any input form commuters or self employed guys would be great. My company has exploded last 3 years and almost runs itself with the great employees I have (115 of them). Maybe I am doing this move to soon? I do worry about economic down turn and possibility of hurting my operation by being distant. On the other hand not getting any younger and land isn't getting any cheaper.

Really appreciate any feedback guys, now that she said yes I am nervous if this is right timing for this. I hate living in the city and my neighbors..

We have one Son and he is at Tech and doing great. I dont see any reason for him to move back home. But always welcome wherever we are.

Sean
I’ve hunted that property, and it’s nice. Am friends with previous owners. Last name is Brady. Some of the property floods when gates open. 140-150 class deer is not a stretch. I live on Little Caney Creek, and my wife has killed 2 135 class deer, and have seen bigger killed around the area. Wife has been Alba City secretary for 26 years. Looks like current owners have made some improvements, but I don’t see $ 200,000 dollars worth. Don’t know anything about second listing.

Last edited by rocky; 11-13-2018 at 03:07 PM.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #9
ThePumaLives
Four Point

Nowhere near close to too young, I’m 31 and my wife is 30 and we’re selling our house and moving full time up around Mills county within the next year, hopefully within six months. It’s a little outside your range at about 2 and a half hours to DFW but we love it.
ThePumaLives is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:25 PM   #10
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Iíve hunted that property, and itís nice. Am friends with previous owners. Last name is Brady. Some of the property floods when gates open. 140-150 class deer is not a stretch. I live on Little Caney Creek, and my wife has killed 2 135 class deer, and have seen bigger killed around the area. Wife has been Alba City secretary for 26 years. Looks like current owners have made some improvements, but I donít see $ 200,000 dollars worth. Donít know anything about second listing.

Thank you for your response. Good to know. The Listing agent says they sold it to the current owner a doctor 2 years ago for 499K. And then the new owner remodeled the barndo for about 40K. Are you saying the doctor paid a lot less than 499k?
Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
dbelcher269
Eight Point

Hunt In: Red River County, Lamar County

It’s probably a little far for you but Lamar and Red River counties have some nice properties and low taxes...but they are definitely rural. Good luck. I doubt you’ll regret it and if you do land values rarely go backward.
dbelcher269 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
sectxag06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

that's a dream come true.
sectxag06 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #13
Rotney
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Sean, interested in Hunt Co? pm me if you want info
Rotney is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #14
rocky
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Good to know. The Listing agent says they sold it to the current owner a doctor 2 years ago for 499K. And then the new owner remodeled the barndo for about 40K. Are you saying the doctor paid a lot less than 499k?
Donít quote me, as I donít have firsthand knowledge of original sale price. I just showed this listing to a neighbor two properties from there, and a good friend of the Bradyís, and the price he mentioned them selling it for was considerably less than that. He may not know the actual selling price either. Again, it is a very nice piece of land.
rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #15
GoneSouth
Six Point

Do you have a acreage minimum?
GoneSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

That’s cool Sean. I have about 10 years on ya and we just found our little slice of heaven out in Kaufman county. It’s only 10 acres but it’s exciting when it finally comes together after looking for so long.

Good luck on finding the right place!
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:36 PM   #17
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regular7 View Post
Do you have a acreage minimum?
Not in stone. Must have deer!
Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #18
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePumaLives View Post
Nowhere near close to too young, Iím 31 and my wife is 30 and weíre selling our house and moving full time up around Mills county within the next year, hopefully within six months. Itís a little outside your range at about 2 and a half hours to DFW but we love it.
I agree with Puma...my wife and I moved to Bellville for a few years to take care of the family farm. She thought that she wanted to move back 2+ years ago to be closer to friends, so against my judgement we moved back to the far North Houston area. She hates it and wishes that we had stayed in Bellville. I don't know your wife, but if she's anything like you in thoughts, I bet y'all will be alright
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 PM   #19
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Default Hunt ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotney View Post
Sean, interested in Hunt Co? pm me if you want info

Absolutely, what you got? Pm sent.

Sean@triphaseinteriors.com
469-544-4836

Last edited by Spearchunker; 11-13-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #20
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Yes and Royse City, I was blown away at some of the deer on a Royse City place. Have not found a heavy cover place out there. I found a few Fannin I may look at next.
I'm in Fannin and really like where I am (North of Savoy). Lots of places for peace and quiet.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
DavidH44
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public Land

You should look into Elmo between Terrell and Wills Point. I hunt there and it’s very quiet and there is definitely some deer out there. It’s probably right in the middle of Dallas and Alba
DavidH44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #22
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH44 View Post
You should look into Elmo between Terrell and Wills Point. I hunt there and itís very quiet and there is definitely some deer out there. Itís probably right in the middle of Dallas and Alba
Elmo does have some pretty country but beware of the meth heads around that neck of the woods. Elmo's reputation does precede itself as they say.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #23
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback View Post
Elmo does have some pretty country but beware of the meth heads around that neck of the woods. Elmo's reputation does precede itself as they say.
I found a place near Leonard and all i hear is meatheads on that area too.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #24
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:

Sean
We did the same thing a little over two years ago. Some random thoughts on your questions...

I looked hard for two years before I found the perfect place.

You are not to young to do this, especially if you like to work on your own place. It's a hell of a lot to build it like you want it and then take care of. It isn't for the weak.

Our commute is an hour each way five days a week. I'll be honest, it gets old sometimes.

I wouldn't worry about trying to find a place with high caliber deer. The smallest deer I've ever killed brought me unbelievable joy compared to all the rest. Because I worked my *** for it and did it on my own place.

Whatever you decide, I wish you and your wife all the best with this next chapter in your lives.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 PM   #25
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
I found a place near Leonard and all i hear is meatheads on that area too.
Don't know about Leonard. Have a bunch of friends in Terrell though. I wanted to buy some property around that old lake between Terrell and Elmo but was forewarned about the drug problem. Sad because there is some pretty country out that way.

Now that place you posted below Lake Fork dam has me drooling.
quarterback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #26
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelcher269 View Post
Itís probably a little far for you but Lamar and Red River counties have some nice properties and low taxes...but they are definitely rural. Good luck. I doubt youíll regret it and if you do land values rarely go backward.
but we ain't got no deers!!
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #27
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

My advice is to go farther out in the sticks than you think you want to and spend more than you think you should.

Always regret those 2
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #28
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Good luck on your hunt for the right place right fit. There are meth/drug heads everywhere these days. It depends who you ask in any given area imo.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:03 PM   #29
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

And on the ....Will we go crazy after a while being way from it all?

That's not for the weak either. It's 30 minutes for us to the grocery store. All of the conveniences of living in the city are gone. If something breaks, plan on it taking half of your day going to town looking for parts to fix it. You can take the other half of your day coming back home and ordering what you need on line and being mad that you didn't get anything done that day. Small towns don't have the things like the big cities do.

The solitude...it's an awesome thing the majority of the time. No visitors, just peace and quiet. There will be days when you want to go to town, or somewhere, for any reason.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #30
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Woodson

I will sell you the Social Club in Woodson, TX for $500K
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #31
fordsuper08
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo , East Texas

I will say this there are for sure some monster deer in east texas around lake fork, sulphur springs, alba, emory etc but i don"t know if you need it or not but high speed internet is hard to get and if you can get it it will be expensive something to consider since you may work from home but would for sure stay away from elmo area and the quinlan area as well
fordsuper08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #32
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post

That's not for the weak either. It's 30 minutes for us to the grocery store. All of the conveniences of living in the city are gone. If something breaks, plan on it taking half of your day going to town looking for parts to fix it. You can take the other half of your day coming back home and ordering what you need on line and being mad that you didn't get anything done that day. Small towns don't have the things like the big cities do.

The solitude...it's an awesome thing the majority of the time. No visitors, just peace and quiet. There will be days when you want to go to town, or somewhere, for any reason.
A lot of the time that's a good thing.
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM   #33
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Hopkins Co, Rains Co, Denton Co, Delta Co, Fannin Co, maybe Hunt Co, Grayson Co of course, Cooke Co and Montague co is where I would look for a place you describe.

You will need to decide if you main objective is to move out in the country closer to your dad or move out in the country where the best deer/prices for land are located.

I personally like Cooke and Montague for the wildlife and cost of property. You start getting into some larger tracts of land in Montague County too. They still have quail, lots of turkey and quality deer. I think it would be close enough to DFW too, just the wrong way for your dad. Maybe he will move out your way?

Good luck. What you just described is the dream of probably most of the men on this fourm! Owning your own business, working 2 or 3 days a week and being able to spend a million dollars on your piece of heaven!

You are living the American dream if you can do this!

Last edited by Killer; 11-13-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM   #34
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Hopkins Co, Rains Co, Denton Co, Delta Co, Fannin Co, maybe Hunt Co, Grayson Co of course, Cooke Co and Montague co is where I would look for a place you describe.

You will need to decide if you main objective is to move out in the country closer to your dad or move out in the country where the best deer/prices for land are located.

I personally like Cooke and Montague for the wildlife and cost of property. You start getting into some larger tracts of land in Montague County too. They still have quail, lots of turkey and quality deer. I think it would be close enough to DFW too, just the wrong way for your dad. Maybe he will move out your way?

Good luck. What you just described is the dream of probably most of the men on this fourm! Owning your own business, working 2 or 3 days a week and being able to spend a million dollars on your piece of heaven!

You are living the American dream if you can do this!

We are on same page as far as counties. You pointed out the number one decision I need to nail down, my Dad. He is going with us Thursday to see the two near him. This will be the day to see what he is willing to do.

As for your comments about our positioning. It didnt come easy and its 20 years in the making. I took risk early on and tried about everything that paid a buck in the Construction Industry. The day I gave TriPhase to God and promised to be the best steward I know how he poured blessings. I always (first 15 years) acted as if it was all mine. I was ignorant and selfish. I wanted it, I bought it. It was a rough ride either rich or poor.

Once I realized it wasnt mine it all changed. Wish I saw it sooner.

Thats small part of my Testimony guys.

Anyways, a lot of good stuff coming from you guys!

Sean
Old 11-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #35
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I would draw a line from Denton to Jacksboro, north to the Red River, and use 35 as the eastern boundary...and search within.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 07:28 PM   #36
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Contact Codie here on tbh. Banker in Graham has facebook listings on properties often.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #37
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gordan, Moran

Canít help you with your land search but congratulationsóthe one thing I think is important is a decent guest cabin for your buddies to stay in when they come to visit
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #38
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post

There is allot of truth in your statements listed above from our experiences of moving to a very rural area. It is nice but there are sacrifices to be made with all of the peace and quiet.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 07:59 AM   #39
CooterBrown
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Bridgeport, Chico, Bowie, Sunset....anything in or around the Grasslands.
CooterBrown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM   #40
Spearchunker
Ten Point

An offer has been made on a place in Pittsburg Co, OK.

Could use some good thoughts guys, I hate the waiting part.

I will share more when I know for sure.

Sean
Old 05-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #41
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Boom good luck
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #42
bownut
Six Point

Hunt In: Anderson and Mills county

I would do what's best for you and your family. Whether it's close to your Dad or not. I understand completely about the hunting part but it's not all about that. Hell if I wanted to live where big deer lived I'd move to Kansas. But I've made a sacrifice for my family and it's been great. I'll go hunt big deer every year for a couple months. Just live life man
bownut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #43
Knox
Ten Point

Quote:
An offer has been made on a place in Pittsburg Co, OK.

Could use some good thoughts guys, I hate the waiting part.

I will share more when I know for sure.

Sean
We hunt Pittsburg co, I love it up there. Tons of deer and wildlife. The quality of deer is great too.
Knox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #44
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Atta boy Sean! Praying it comes together for yíall and is meant to be. Good luck.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #45
Darton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma

That didn’t take long! Congrats and good luck!
Darton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 08:37 PM   #46
capt341
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman County

Congrats!!
capt341 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #47
DZM
Six Point

Hunt In: Jones & Jack County

Good luck on the offer SC! Hope you land your dream place!
DZM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #48
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Get a Texas lifetime license before going if accepted!
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #49
Spearchunker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Get a Texas lifetime license before going if accepted!
Not moving anytime soon. The wife crawfished on leaving our Dallas home. This is recreational place with potential retirement spot down the road.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:20 PM   #50
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gordan, Moran

Fingers crossed for you Sean-make sure to leave me the keys to your lake place
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top