Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Woodville, TX
Default Employee "Stole" From Me: What to do

I know i messed up, but I prepaid one of my good hands a few hundred dollars when we got rained out all week. He has shown up for an hour of work since then, made 50 excuses why he cant come for the past two weeks etc. Now he blocked my number, and his wife blocked me on Facebook. Its not the money that matters but its the principle. Is there anything I can do or do I just eat it and let karma and the good lord handle it?
justindiehl7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:20 PM   #2
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

you did the right thing, I'd let Karma catch him. Good luck on finding new help
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
BCBHunter712
Eight Point

Hunt In: Northeast, Texas

I'd let karma takes its toll.
BCBHunter712 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

I imagine bad 'ol Ms. Karma will collect all you gave him plus a little more.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:23 PM   #5
easeup
Ten Point

yes sir...HE will work with him.....it is not your problem anymore
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Trinity County

Ahhh, man...it happens. You did a good deed and got burned for it. Don't let it stop you from helping out your people in the future. I'd write it off....unless I saw him somewhere.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

You did the right thing...…..
Live and learn...…
Move on..…..
sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
Ahhh, man...it happens. You did a good deed and got burned for it. Don't let it stop you from helping out your people in the future. I'd write it off....unless I saw him somewhere.
Was hoping you'd chime in, thank you sir!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
PhotonSlinger
Eight Point

Give him a chance to right his wrongs, when he doesn’t well then he just stamped his termination for “theft”.
PhotonSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #10
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
Give him a chance to right his wrongs, when he doesnít well then he just stamped his termination for ďtheftĒ.
He texted me saying he'd call, but still hasn't. He's had plenty of chances
Old 05-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
HiblerZXT35
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Helotes, TX

Same type situation happened to us recently. Guy got a lot more than a couple of hundred bucks. But you did the guy a solid and he burned you, it will come back to him in spades, and to you as well. Things always even out in the end.
HiblerZXT35 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 PM   #12
LarryP_1989
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes, Walker cty.

Post his number on here and we can all text him saying you hired us to track him down and collect your money.

In the end karma will come back to get him. If he’s had plenty of time to make it right I’d cut my losses with him even if he decides to show back up in the future.
LarryP_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 09:46 PM   #13
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindiehl7 View Post
Was hoping you'd chime in, thank you sir!
I can't count how many times I've been screwed over by people that I employed, but treated like family:

One longtime employee charged thousands of dollars of gas in his wife's car. When we caught it, went back and looked and it had been going on for months. Had several people charge personal stuff on their company credit cards.

Had a project manager buy about $100k worth of dirt from a new company we'd never dealt with before. There was only about $80k in the bid so it threw up a red flag. When I got nosy and had somebody check his company truck we found a check stub from that company made out to him for $9,000. When I fired him, his wife trashed me on Facebook for firing her "loyal" husband. Of course she didn't know why he'd been fired.

Helped pay for a guy's mom's funeral....TWICE. He forgot that he'd already used that one. I still chipped in.

I've got so many more that aren't worth mentioning and I'm sure a bunch that have slipped my mind. There are some crappy people out there.

When you care about your people, it makes you a little vulnerable. That's OK. I'd rather feel good about who I am. You would too.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

I can get you Karma’s phone number, he can pay him a visit..
knapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #15
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
I can't count how many times I've been screwed over by people that I employed, but treated like family:

One longtime employee charged thousands of dollars of gas in his wife's car. When we caught it, went back and looked and it had been going on for months. Had several people charge personal stuff on their company credit cards.

Had a project manager buy about $100k worth of dirt from a new company we'd never dealt with before. There was only about $80k in the bid so it threw up a red flag. When I got nosy and had somebody check his company truck we found a check stub from that company made out to him for $9,000. When I fired him, his wife trashed me on Facebook for firing her "loyal" husband. Of course she didn't know why he'd been fired.

Helped pay for a guy's mom's funeral....TWICE. He forgot that he'd already used that one. I still chipped in.

I've got so many more that aren't worth mentioning and I'm sure a bunch that have slipped my mind. There are some crappy people out there.

When you care about your people, it makes you a little vulnerable. That's OK. I'd rather feel good about who I am. You would too.
Yes sir, I'm a good hearted guy and I treat my employees like family as they make my paycheck every week. Sometimes you just gotta sort through the bad apples.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #16
ktjones
Six Point

Hunt In: Centerville

Caring makes you vulnerable; human. Gotta still be human. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Cut the loss.
Let this person never enter into your circle of trust.
The difficult side to this?
You have to let others into your circle of trust... until the first betrayal.
Cycle repeats.
ktjones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 PM   #17
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Sounds like you paid him severance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #18
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

It can and certainly does happen. I have a couple now that could leave me high a dry but itís a gamble that I believe has yielded me a more loyal workforce which has resulted in less employee turnover.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #19
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:

Any way to make it more like a loan? As in any type of document or something that if they disappear they are required to repay the money?
Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Just remember when you are there for someone, you can bet they will be there next time they need something again

You did right. Let it go, and move on.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #21
curtintex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Any way to make it more like a loan? As in any type of document or something that if they disappear they are required to repay the money?
I try to never loan more than a weeks pay (though I break that rule often enough). I have them sign a loan agreement that lays out the terms and their willingness to have their paycheck used to cover their debt if they leave. I pay this week for work performed last week. So if someone quits me they still have a paycheck from the previous week coming. If they owe me money then they forfeit that last check. It's worked well and I can only recall a few times where I didn't get paid back, even by someone that quit.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:42 PM   #22
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:

Quote:
I try to never loan more than a weeks pay (though I break that rule often enough). I have them sign a loan agreement that lays out the terms and their willingness to have their paycheck used to cover their debt if they leave. I pay this week for work performed last week. So if someone quits me they still have a paycheck from the previous week coming. If they owe me money then they forfeit that last check. It's worked well and I can only recall a few times where I didn't get paid back, even by someone that quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
It can and certainly does happen. I have a couple now that could leave me high a dry but itís a gamble that I believe has yielded me a more loyal workforce which has resulted in less employee turnover.

I believe itís the thing to do within reason. I care about my people. If I can make a difference in their lives, I try to do so. If they canít pay it back, or wonít...thatís on them and I can sleep at night.

Iím glad you two chimed in.

I do it when I probably shouldnít, never been bit to bad. I think it has built more good will, than the dollar amount itís cost me over the years. I insist they not discus agreements with other employees, and we sign an agreement. I probably wouldnít go after them for it if they didnít pay up, and we pay kind of like Curt does. Iíve given some their last checks anyway.

My dad told me a long time ago ďnever loan money you canít afford not to get backĒ.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Dale Moser; 05-21-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #23
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

I also have a parking lot full of trucks every day that I sold and financed, really cheap to employees after we were done with the trucks.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:44 PM   #24
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

This and a signed authorization to deduct a specified amount from each paycheck until paid off.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #25
thebowhunters
Ten Point

Hunt In: Concho Co.

I have done the same thing several times and will probably do again, but yes The Good Guy Always Gets **** On. Good luck
thebowhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2019, 11:41 PM   #26
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

I gave a employee a credit card for travel expenses and emergencies and some cash advances
one day noticed we had a lot of emergencies at a local convince store on days that he was traveling with me , so I cut the limit way down then didn’t pay it , about a week later his company cell rang repeatedly and he wouldn’t answer it after checking the number while I was in the truck
When he got out to open the gate , I grabbed the phone and saw it was his 15 year old daughter and called her back she said she needed to know when we were coming back to town because she was out of diapers and baby formula and HER credit card was being declined! He tried to lay the blame on one of her friends so I asked him how many of her friends needed diapers and baby formula . Same girl called my mom to see if she could babysit for her so she could go to a concert , and then never showed up for two weeks to pick up the kid, the concert was in Portland Oregon, guess who had to pay for a new child safety seat and more baby food and clothing and hear every day what a horrible mom the girl was ? Lesson learnt never employ a relative or loan them any money
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 12:08 AM   #27
Charles
Pope & Young

You did the right thing. Don't spend much time being mad, it will negatively effect your work.

Not to pour salt in your wound, but he will probably file an unemployment claim that you will need to deal with.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #28
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

I wouldn't worry about it too much. People in general are shady to say the least.

I dont own a company but in the last few months can think of 2 or 3 times grown men ( 40-50 years old) have quit showing up to work. They wont answer the phone or respond to text. Drives me crazy to say the least. If this job isn't for you, that's ok, but be a man and quit the right way. If they owe any debt to the company, we deduct it from their last check.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 AM   #29
RattlesnakeDan
Four Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Owning a construction based business was the worse...new guy would show up Monday, work hard and then some sob story about hard times and promise to bust tail so you pay him in advance fpr the week and never see him again. I made a rule to only give a guy a couple hundred cash tops, if they came back fine, if not fine. Move on.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 05:34 AM   #30
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

I was wondering if you could let me hold a couple hundred until Monday.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #31
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

You got educated. He'll show back up one day.

No reason to get your arse whooped over a little money
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #32
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
This and a signed authorization to deduct a specified amount from each paycheck until paid off.
Yep. When this came up I was pretty hesitant to do it and asked my CPA how I could do it but protect myself just in case. She had a form she sent me to cover all of that. The only problem is we arent a week behind, hours from previous week are paid Tuesday so I could still get bit...
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #33
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
You got educated. He'll show back up one day.

No reason to get your arse whooped over a little money
I would take a butt wooping for a few hundred stolen dollars. I have done it for free. I take stealing real personal.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM   #34
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
I would take a butt wooping for a few hundred stolen dollars. I have done it for free. I take stealing real personal.
He didn't steal.....just didn't pay back a loan.

No different than defaulting on a credit card or having a truck repo'd or filing bankruptcy
Old 05-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #35
eradicator
Pope & Young

Seems like giving up steady work for a few hundred dollars isn't all that smart on his part.....
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #36
justindiehl7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Seems like giving up steady work for a few hundred dollars isn't all that smart on his part.....

Steady work but he couldnít make 5 days in a row with a pencil. Lesson learned I guess!

Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 AM   #37
txagyotebuster
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Exactly but 99% of people who would do this aren't real smart to begin with. I have become very skeptical of most people nowadays. I know there are some people that have actually fallen on hard times for reasons they can't control. But i look at it like this...you can go through a rough patch...but a rough patch shouldn't last 20 yrs. If you have been having "bad luck" for 20 years it is probably a "you problem"

People either aren't smart enough or too **** lazy to get out of these rough patches.
txagyotebuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM   #38
justincorbell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: china, nome, beaumont, freer, junction and wherever I am lucky enough to be invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagyotebuster View Post
Exactly but 99% of people who would do this aren't real smart to begin with. I have become very skeptical of most people nowadays. I know there are some people that have actually fallen on hard times for reasons they can't control. But i look at it like this...you can go through a rough patch...but a rough patch shouldn't last 20 yrs. If you have been having "bad luck" for 20 years it is probably a "you problem"

People either aren't smart enough or too **** lazy to get out of these rough patches.
you nailed it!
justincorbell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #39
bowhuntertex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever the wind takes me......

Quote:

No different than defaulting on a credit card or having a truck repo'd or filing bankruptcy
defaulting on a loan is stealing...Ö..
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:21 AM   #40
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Steady work but he couldnít make 5 days in a row with a pencil. Lesson learned I guess!

The next time an employee asks for a favor: "No, and you can thank this guy."
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #41
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

If you loaned him $200, and never see him again, it was worth it.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:32 AM   #42
Traildust
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntertex View Post
defaulting on a loan is stealing...Ö..
do they arrest you for it?.....bunch of thieves on this site then
Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM   #43
whitetailfanatic
Pope & Young

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Sounds like you paid him severance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly
whitetailfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #44
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:

Wow. Kudos to see you still maintain that same attitude despite getting burned. Thatís a testimony to live by to show forgiveness, donít retaliate, & give out of the goodness of your heart because you are blessed & able.
By the way, are you hiring
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #45
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Quote:

That's a chicken **** way of looking at the subject, and they ARE different.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #46
ostey22
Ten Point

Hunt In: 4 counties in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txagyotebuster View Post

This^^
ostey22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #47
odogg
Four Point

Hunt In: San Diego, Tx

Don't worry about what will happen to him and how karma will catch up to him. You did good to help him out. In the end we all get judged and all have to answer for our doings.
odogg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #48
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
Man that brings back a memory. I had a hand who needed off to fly to Ohio because his mom was dying so I paid for his round trip airfare. He called and told me she had passed and could I loan him $1500 bucks to help with the funeral costs so I wired him the money.

Few days later one of his running buddies came by the office and asked me if I had seen him and I filled him in. He laughed and told me that my "loyal" employee's mother was alive and well and living in Houston but he had a girlfriend who lived in Ohio who he was trying to get to move down here.

When he got back I asked him how the funeral went and he was all sad when he told me that the money I had sent had really helped and that he had bought some flowers for the service with it as well. So I said well were you able to get your girlfriend moved down here with what money was left over? He didn't know what to say so I just told him to pay me back and for him to get back to work.

He finally told me the truth and promised to pay me but he never came back to work after that day.

OP just let Karma catch up with the guy. It finally caught up with the guy I helped.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #49
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

let it go and move on.
you'll be better off for it.
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #50
Terry
Ten Point

Walk away more informed