Cold Weather Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Weather Practice

I've been shooting blank bale in the house to work on some issues that cropped up in my shooting, but I wanted to test my cold weather hunting gear. So yesterday I stuck the target back outside and started testing my different clothing options. Particularly gloves.

I already knew I had my upper body layers pretty dialed in for string clearance, but the final piece of the puzzle was gloves. After confirming that my usual cold weather gloves cause abysmal string slap I started checking on what I had in the house. The winner? Some big heavy leather grilling gauntlets! They're big enough on my hand to be torque free, and with a little tape on the upper end, they're a great arm guard as well!

I can say I'm dialed in for bow hunting down to 10-15 degrees now! Maybe not from a tree stand though. That's a whole different level of cold.

It's good to work those things out before the hunt.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

my biggest concern in TX bowhunting is how to conceal my sweat ... right now if i hunt , it's in a blind with a heater and a rifle ... my hat goes to you .. i'm not that hard core!

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
        my biggest concern in TX bowhunting is how to conceal my sweat ... right now if i hunt , it's in a blind with a heater and a rifle ... my hat goes to you .. i'm not that hard core!
        Hahaha! Sweat is my normal concern too, but I got to thinking this weather would be good for chasing pigs, but I wasn't set up to do it. So I decided to get set up! I'm usually hunting public, and the areas I know are bow only for the most part.

Comment

Cold Weather Practice

I just sit in a chair on my front porch and practice 10-15yds. Obviously, practice sessions don’t last as long when it’s bitter cold out. I wear light camo gloves with 3 fingers cut off in the drawing hand glove. I don’t like a glove on my bow hand, so it comes off when I think I might get a shot. I also use a hand muff like a qb uses.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Bisch; 02-17-2021, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Bisch, I've never liked a glove on my bow hand either, but I wanted to see if I could make one work. The key with this one is it's big enough that it doesn't get pulled by any part of my palm when I'm at full draw, so it's just pressing straight through the bow handle like my palm. I was able to shoot pretty well out to 20 yards with it.

I did find that I couldn't wear a glove on my string hand. It screwed up my anchor point and changed my trajectory pretty badly. I will have to keep a pocket open for my right hand, or shuck a glove off at shooting time.

Comment

I use a black golf glove on my bow hand. I tried to do without one this year after my several year old one finally fell completely apart. Didn't like it so I got one for Christmas. That said it's worn year round. I'm like Bisch. The pocket on a hoody, the muff style warmer pocket on my Sitka jacket and vests. Those I keep a hand warmer in and put my hands in there until it's go time.
              You know unless I'm texting or posting on TBH.

Comment

I wear a light weight merino glove liner under a leather gun shooting glove on bow hand a the same merino liner under my finger glove on string hand. I put a camo cotton garden glove with fingers cut off over the finger shooting glove.
                Seems to be cold quite often in the elk woods in Sept.

Comment

Working...
                X