2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
    Now is the time to put in your soil amendments. 12 yards of mushroom compost spread and tilled in. [/IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last week I put in:
    Cottonseed meal
    Blood meal
    Alfalfa meal
    Triple 10
    Starbucks coffee grinds (now my plot smells like a latte)

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
      Now is the time to plant your trees too. I just put in a peach and fig.
      Planted two 45 gallon Lakota pecans
      Need to plant the other half dozen Desirable and half dozen Pawnee

Got a dozen 15 gallon pear trees from Houston garden center for $108 total
      They had like 80% off couple weeks back
      Now they are back down to 50% off
      I got a mix of
      Florida
      Hood
      Laconte
      Pineapple

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        I am curious what y'all still have going and what you are planning on for your spring beds.

Winter garden: sugar snap peas, snow peas, collards, mustards, still going strong. some carrots, some beats, some radishes, and a little rainbow chard left also along with various salad greens.

Spring garden: Green beans and tomatoes for sure. not sure what varieties yet though, early girl and cherokee purples will be there.

What varieties of tomatoes do y'all like? I think I remember a bunch of guys from last year's thread liking juliets as a cherry variety. Our Early girl did great last year and cherokee purples were the best beefsteak variety we planted for yield and flavor. We had a brandy wine that was very good, but didn't get too many from it.

Good luck to everyone!

Spring we planted about five varieties of tomatoes
        Early Girl made great fried green tomatoes
        Big boys/Husky didn't do too well. They grew, I just didn't like the inside of the tomato.
        Bonnie made some type of million or thousand Cherry tomato that gave VERY sweet and tasty fruit!!!

Also planned about five types of hot peppers. Only the Tabasco peppers took and they threw off a lot of fruit. All the way until Thanksgiving. Made a bunch of hot sauce and peppar vinegar with it. Gave it away as Christmas presents and daily I get rave reviews.

Purple hull peas came up nice in spring. I had some left over because all the feed stores were sold out!!!

I just jumped on whillite to order some stuff (it's what I do at 5am before everybody wakes up) and decided on a hamburger garden for my daughters.
        Purple onions (those got planted in November)
        Boston cucumbers (had a GREAT stand last year)
        Lettuce
        Some type of tomato which is why I searched for the 2020 thread to see what tomatoes folks planted.
        Might do a celebrity this year.

Also ordered 50 strawberry crowns from Pense
        25 albion
        25 chandler
        Picked up 6 Quinault plants locally in Sept
        The pense plants came in late October

Going to try again for a "yellow meat" watermelon this year. Again, whillite has those seeds.

Finally, gonna scatter some dwarf sunflower seeds to if they come up. I'm over run with rabbits so unless things are fenced in, they usually don't make it
        Last edited by texansfan; 01-09-2021, 06:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
          Spring we planted about five varieties of tomatoes
          Early Girl made great fried green tomatoes
          Big boys/Husky didn't do too well. They grew, I just didn't like the inside of the tomato.
          Bonnie made some type of million or thousand Cherry tomato that gave VERY sweet and tasty fruit!!!

Also planned about five types of hot peppers. Only the Tabasco peppers took and they threw off a lot of fruit. All the way until Thanksgiving. Made a bunch of hot sauce and peppar vinegar with it. Gave it away as Christmas presents and daily I get rave reviews.

Purple hull peas came up nice in spring. I had some left over because all the feed stores were sold out!!!

I just jumped on whillite to order some stuff (it's what I do at 5am before everybody wakes up) and decided on a hamburger garden for my daughters.
          Purple onions (those got planted in November)
          Boston cucumbers (had a GREAT stand last year)
          Lettuce
          Some type of tomato which is why I searched for the 2020 thread to see what tomatoes folks planted.
          Might do a celebrity this year.

Also ordered 50 strawberry crowns from Pense
          25 albion
          25 chandler
          Picked up 6 Quinault plants locally in Sept
          The nourse plants came in late October

Going to try again for a "yellow meat" watermelon this year. Again, whillite has those seeds.

Finally, gonna scatter some dwarf sunflower seeds to if they come up. I'm over run with rabbits so unless things are fenced in, they usually don't make it
          Order some “Mississippi Purple” brown crowder peas from Willhite seed, and thank me later. I ordered them thinking purple hull, and when it came time to pick, realized they were a crowder, but a lot more flavorful than a purple hull. Only pea I plant now. One of the most requested thing when I take stuff to the small market in town. I’ve also got seeds for a yellow meat melon that my grandad grew and passed down to my dad and then me. I can’t plant melons due to deer, coyotes, and coons. I can keep the deer out, but not the other two.
          Last edited by rocky; 01-09-2021, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know of a place around beaumont I can buy a dump truck load of compost from? I've bought plant mix from a couple places but it's too lite for a garden. It dries out real fast.. I either need good top soil which is hard to find in our area or actual compost..

Comment

I will be harvesting my first crop of the year in about a week or so. I’m hoping to have a very productive year with my garden.

Comment

For you home gardeners, what a good orange tree to plant in southeast Texas ?

Comment

I just bought a new home last fall and the builder scraped the top 6-10 inches of topsoil so I need some major soil preparations before my spring garden. Only bright side is he got rid of all the native cactus and other grasses and weeds for me so I have a clear slate.

I ordered over 100 different varieties of seed and have over 60 starter trays with peat and vermiculite mix waiting on the seeds to arrive.

I shudder at the thought of paying 800 bucks for a truckload of garden mix from the local dirt place. I need several to cover the 1/4 acre area that is to be my garden.

I also have many fruit trees, but trees and bushes showing up in early February.

Comment

If anyone in dfw know of a cheaper option than 800 to have a dozen yards of good garden mix soil delivered, please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                      Order some “Mississippi Purple” brown crowder peas from Willhite seed, and thank me later. I ordered them thinking purple hull, and when it came time to pick, realized they were a crowder, but a lot more flavorful than a purple hull. Only pea I plant now. One of the most requested thing when I take stuff to the small market in town. I’ve also got seeds for a yellow meat melon that my grandad grew and passed down to my dad and then me. I can’t plant melons due to deer, coyotes, and coons. I can keep the deer out, but not the other two.

I forgot I also planted a bag of tulip bulbs in the fall.
                      Walking out of lowes (or was it tractor supply) one day the were near the register so I grabbed a bag
                      Planted them near my pond
                      And just the other day I see them sprouting maybe a 1/4 inch above ground

I also threw out 5 pounds of bluebonnet seeds and a few hundred pounds of crimson clover so we will see what that brings. Crimson does really well but this is the first year for the bluebonnet

Last fall I tried a few different types of mini pumpkin as well as popcorn from whillite and the pumpkins got hit by drought while the popcorn never even germinated.
                      The year before that the pumpkins got ate up by deer (the garden wasn't fenced in then)

Oh and now that is fully fenced for deer, the rabbits started coming in.
                      Then i rabbit proofed it with chicken wire
                      Now I have gophers tunneling under into the middle of the garden!!!

If it's not one thing, it's another.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                        I just. I need several to cover the 1/4 acre area that is to be my garden.

I also have many fruit trees, but trees and bushes showing up in early February.
                        Do you irrigate that quarter acre?
                        If so, how?
                        We have quarter acre of blueberries that I'm finally getting around to irrigating with half inch poly tubing and 1.0GPG droppers
                        Gonna set three ibc totes out there and have a solar powered bilge pump push water to the plants
                        This worked fine on the 50x16 garden up front

Just looking for other options to irrigate

Comment

Getting ready to till up to make our garden. Just need the ground to dry. First garden at our new place. I got a pile of old horse manure from the previous owners that I plan to incorporate. Ran the water line last week before all the rain. Need to get the deer/gopher fence built.

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                            Do you irrigate that quarter acre?
                            If so, how?
                            We have quarter acre of blueberries that I'm finally getting around to irrigating with half inch poly tubing and 1.0GPG droppers
                            Gonna set three ibc totes out there and have a solar powered bilge pump push water to the plants
                            This worked fine on the 50x16 garden up front

Just looking for other options to irrigate
                            No irrigation at this time, it's all new start. I plan to cover all soil in 3-4" on mulch. Hopefully that will keep everything moist and allow for nature to do the watering.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
                              For you home gardeners, what a good orange tree to plant in southeast Texas ?

Randy Lemmon can tell you where the best nurseries to purchase from are located. It’s really your preference on what type of orange you like. I have tangelos, satsumas and grapefruits.

Comment

Does anyone know where to get worm castings around the NE part of Houston?

Comment

Working...
                                X