Lets talk ladder stands/tree stands...for us big boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk ladder stands/tree stands...for us big boys

6'3" 285# hogmolly here.....I tried a tree stand last year but dont think I got high enough off the ground. went to a Box blind in an 8' platform and I really like it but I need another option for times like now when deer arent hitting my feeder and I need to be over a major trail. assuming I need to be 15'+ off the ground and a climbing stand isnt really an option with the type of trees ive got, what are some good options for getting up off the ground safely for a big guy?
    Im not really looking for junk or the cheapest thing I can find. certainly looking for good quality. Thanks in advance for any help!

I am short and 250+. Best I have used and found is a two man ladder stand, summit makes a heck of a heavy sturdy one that when you up in it you have plenty of space on the seat to tie in a bag or whatever.

Comment

You can certainly find plenty of good options at Bass Pro and Cabela’s, but I would also recommend looking at Sportsmens Guide as well. The tallest options I’ve been at Bass Pro and Cabela’s are usually 17 or 18 feet, but Sportsmens Guide has been up to 25.
      Last edited by Etxbuckman; 12-10-2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Two man ladder stand is the way I go. 5’11” 315# and I hate heights, but can sit in a two man without too much worry.

Comment

I've used a millenium (sp) M150? leaner with excellent results, really stable and solid. The two man leaners I've used have seats that are too shallow for me and aren't comfortable for long sits. There are some 1.5 man stands out there now, I've not tried them.
          Last edited by wdtorque; 07-09-2020, 10:50 AM. Reason: speling

Comment

I'm 6'5" 250 and use the cheap game winner climbing sticks and hang on stands from Academy and put my stands 20' or higher. My dumbass used to leave those setups up all year and leave them up to 3 years after hanging with no issues. I now replace them every year. A quality safety harness and climbing rope (new every year) is the most important part of any tree stand, regardless of brand, and is the insurance for any manufacturer defect or careless step.

Comment

Woodsey too grey ghosts are the best for a hang on stand and are rated up to 500lb and very comfy and quiet (ultramatic feeders make them now). I sometimes like to use 14 or 16' tripods or quad pods as well and put them next to a tree.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m your size and almost All my time is in Ladder stands. After I strap the tree I hammer
                In spikes ( 4” or 6” ) under the v bar that is against the tree then bend them over that same v bar. They won’t even wiggle when I stand up to stretch my legs

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  I’m your size and almost All my time is in Ladder stands. After I strap the tree I hammer
                  In spikes ( 4” or 6” ) under the v bar that is against the tree then bend them over that same v bar. They won’t even wiggle when I stand up to stretch my legs
                  I am interested in this idea.

Can you show an example of the spike you use and how its put on the tree?

J

Comment

If you can use a climbing stand Summit Goliath weighs in at just 21 pounds and has a weight limit of 350# . You can hunt as high or low as you’d like and can switch trails or areas very easily. I’m 6’ and around 240 and this stand swallows me. Just be sure to get a nice comfortable safety harness that is rated appropriately

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                      I am interested in this idea.

Can you show an example of the spike you use and how its put on the tree?

J
                      When I get home I’ll run out back and take a few pics.

Comment

When I get home I’ll run out back and take a few pics.
                        Appreciate it.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                          Appreciate it.

J
                          Man i completely forgot to go take pic's yesterday. I even walked up to that stand and put some corn and mineral out. I will be home tomorrow. send me a reminder if i dont post pics by 4 pm please

Comment

Man i completely forgot to go take pic's yesterday. I even walked up to that stand and put some corn and mineral out. I will be home tomorrow. send me a reminder if i dont post pics by 4 pm please
                            Not a problem man.

That sounds good.

J

Comment

I'm 6'1" and 320#. I used to use a StrongBuilt 15' ladder stand with no problems. It was kind of skinny so I welded some mounts for Harley foot pegs so I could sit more comfortable.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X