Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's not good. hope it works out for you

Comment

I have Life Lock. They monitor my credit report and call if something changes. With so much ID theft, it seems like a small price to pay. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I hope it all ends well.

Comment

sux,,hope everything turn out well...good luck

Comment

Man that sucks.

Comment

Sorry this has happened to you. One of my uncles recently was a victim in this way as well.

Comment

I realized the other day that when my house was broken into they took my SS card. I have read on the net that I can't do anything or report until it is used by someone else then I can report it.

You would think you could report a card that is stolen, so it red flags that number.

Sorry to here this Keith.

Comment

Heath -

How do I report identity theft, fraud or misuse of my Social Security number?

To report identity theft, fraud, or misuse of your Social Security number, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, recommends that you take the following steps:

Step 1: Place a fraud alert on your credit file by contacting one of the three companies:

•Equifax - 1-800-525-6285
                •Trans Union - 1-800-680-7289
                •Experian - 1-888-397-3742
                The company you contact is required to contact the other two, which will then place an alert on their versions of your report.

Step 2: Review your credit report for inquiries from companies you have not contacted; accounts you did not open; and debts on your accounts that you cannot explain.

Step 3: Close any accounts you know, or believe, have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Step 4: File a report with your local police or the police in the community where the identity theft took place.

Step 5: File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission online or by calling them at 1-877-438-4338 (TTY 1-866-653-4261).

How do I request a different Social Security number?
                We do not routinely assign different Social Security numbers.

Generally, only the following circumstances are used to assign a different number:

· Sequential numbers have been assigned to members of the same family and are causing problems

· More than one person has been assigned, or is using, the same number

· An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number

· A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number
                · Situations of harassment, abuse or life endangerment, including domestic violencehas occurred.

To apply for a new number:

Step 1: Complete an Application for a Social Security Card.

Step 2: Gather documents proving:

•Identity
                •U.S. citizenship
                •Immigration status
                •Age (birth certificate or U.S. passport)
                •Evidence of legal name change
                •Evidence to support your need for a new Social Security number
                Step 3: Take your completed application and documentation to your local Social Security office or Social Security Card Center.

All documents must be either originals or certified copies by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Comment

Sorry this has happened to you, it really sucks. My wife & I have dealt with identity theft, but not with the IRS part of it. I think at last count we were somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 grand!!! Saddest part is we knew who did it!! We gave local law enforcement their name and address, they stopped by for a talk, she skipped town and hasn't been seen since! She was an ex coworker of my wife, office manager, so she had all info she needed. Law enforcement pretty well told us that this is happening so much not to expect anything to happen, that'll give you a warm fuzzy, but then again, under that sheriff they couldn't solve a murder if they watched it happen!! The other sad part is now there are a lot of people running up their debt, then saying, oh wait I'm an identity theft victim, so it is getting harder for real victims to get anything done. I hope you have better results than we have.

Comment

Systemnt,

I read that I couldn't do anything unless there was attempt of fraud or misuse with my SS number.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                      Systemnt,

I read that I couldn't do anything unless there was attempt of fraud or misuse with my SS number.
                      yep..for some reason the "is right" i thought i had typed didnt get posted after your name...

Comment

Sent ya a PM

Comment

Originally posted by basskicker24 View Post
                          I have Life Lock.
                          Check out this link. You may be paying for something you can easily do yourself.

A 2024 LifeLock review of user benefits that LifeLock offers, free alternatives, pros & cons, refunds, & a discount promo code coupon.

Comment

What's crazy is our efile got denied also. We have been waiting over 6 weeks their site says received and processing, it has been that way for weeks. Talking to someone is impossible! Crazy to pay for a service and not get service! Aggravating

Azle

Comment

S.s.s.

Comment

The IRS filing fraud is rampant. I know several who have gone through this and it took almost a year to clear it up and that paid with interest. And a better interest rate than any bank...

Comment

Working...
                                X