Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hunterburch42 View Post
    You may have answered a long time ago but, how the hell did you drill down for your “pier”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are situated right on top a bedrock. On some posts we were about to get down 1 foot, some 6" and others are right on top of the bedrock. We just did the best we could. We concreted in quite a few of them (all that we could dig down a bit and some that were on top by creating a rock dam around it) I think with the weight of the whole structure and the sheer width of the entire thing now it would take something catastrophic to displace it, and if that is the case I am sure that the cabin would be the least of my worries.

Comment

I went to the ranch this past weekend with my wife. I left on Friday morning, while she was still at work. I arrived at about 1PM and immediately started working on the West side deck and storage unit project. I started by painting the base metal and the shed studs. After painting and letting it dry a bit I began installing the deck boards. I installed and screwed down 11 2x5x16's and then cut the ends even with the existing boards. I After that, I cut the OSB flooring sheets to size and installed them on the floor within the storage unit. Finally before my wife got there installed the roof panels on storage unit. (Pic 1)

My wife arrived at about 5PM. We spent Friday night cooking and enjoying cold beverages. It was pretty chilly but not too bad, just sweater or light jacket weather. Inside the cabin the temp was perfect no AC or heat needed.

Saturday we had a POA meeting/BBQ that I was hosting at the top of the cul-de-sac at my property. The start time was 3PM so could only work until 12:30 or so in order to get things prepared for the meeting. We woke up early and went to breakfast in Rocksprings. At about 10AM my wife and I started installing the metal siding for the storage unit. We were ale to get the entire unit skinned minus the door in about 2 hours. We were able to move all materials and tools from inside the cabin and place them in the unit. (pics 2&3) I bought a futon to place in the living room from amazon. I was able to get the futon built and in place before 1PM. (pics 4 &5)

The POA meeting and BBQ in the cul-de-sac was a huge success and everyone enjoyed seeing the progress we have made.

On Sunday we woke up early. We still needed to build the door for the storage unit. Andy usually does most (almost all) of the welding. I wanted to get it done so I tackled the job myself. I welded up the frame and installed the hinges. It fit perfect and I will say my welds didn't look too bad for a rookie. We installed the panels on the door as well as a handle and lock. (Pics 6-8)

After cleaning up and filling feeders we noticed that our sewer line was clogged. At first I thought that the 600 gallon tank was full (been in use for almost 6 months). I went and checked it and it was only about 5" full... I checked the clean out I have 1/2 way between the toilet and the tank and it was clear. SO I knew it was going to be a mess. Luckily my neighbor had a snake I could use. The snake pushed the clog down past the clean out. I moved the snake to the cleanout and pushed toward the tank but I think it was just too short to break it loose. I attempted to feed the snake from inside the tank, but the black tank was too **** hot. I purposely did not glue in the fittings where the sewer line connected to the tank. I disconnected it and it was dry. I had to bring the entire line down about 1foot for gravity to do its job, and it came out in a gush! **** IT STUNK. unfortunately it went all over the place outside the tank. I am hoping nature does it job and it wont stink too long. Anyone lease ever have this happen or a sewer leak? would say its about 10Gallons of TP Poop and water. what should or can I do? I think will move the sewer line from going in on top down to the side giving it about 1.5 foot more drop to prevent this from happening again.

thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Be careful on the amount of drop in the sewer line. I know it sounds weird, but too steep and the water will outrun the poop. If it's 4" or 6" you only want 1/8" drop per foot of run. Might be inconvenient, but you might want to add a couple more cleanouts if your run is long.

The smell should be gone in a week or two.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
          Be careful on the amount of drop in the sewer line. I know it sounds weird, but too steep and the water will outrun the poop. If it's 4" or 6" you only want 1/8" drop per foot of run. Might be inconvenient, but you might want to add a couple more cleanouts if your run is long.

The smell should be gone in a week or two.
          Thanks for the tip! I believe that the run is about 45'. Using 1/8" per foot that is about 5' 6.5" of drop (about 1" every 8'). I will have to check it out to verify but I might be over that pitch. The picture below is the last 10-12' the slope is consistent all the way to the toilet. From the looks of the picture it looks more like 3-4" per 8' what do you think? Either way I am going to add a couple of cleanouts. One in between the middle one and the toilet and another between the middle one the tank.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the 3-4" per foot like you said. I would either raise it up, or like you said add more clean outs, and run a fair amount of water down it before you leave to go back home to flush the system.

Comment

I didn't go back and look, but I bet you have a low flow toilet too? I'd bet "too much drop" is the problem. Can probably be fixed with more cleanouts and a big "water dump" down the system before you leave. Pour the toilet full of water and send it down all at once. If it's pretty cold, that plan may not work though. Ice in that pipe could really queer the deal.

This remains one of the great DIYs in TBH history, either way. Really remarkable progress, especially given the time allowed to work. Purely out of curiosity, how do you have the cabin insured? I only ask because of the "unorthidox" construction techniques, and lack of inspections. It's none of my business and you can certainly tell me so. I don't doubt a single thing you've done, just curious how that works, and hope you are protected in case of fire or whatever.

Again, the place is absolutely phenominal!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I didn't go back and look, but I bet you have a low flow toilet too? I'd bet "too much drop" is the problem. Can probably be fixed with more cleanouts and a big "water dump" down the system before you leave. Pour the toilet full of water and send it down all at once. If it's pretty cold, that plan may not work though. Ice in that pipe could really queer the deal.

This remains one of the great DIYs in TBH history, either way. Really remarkable progress, especially given the time allowed to work. Purely out of curiosity, how do you have the cabin insured? I only ask because of the "unorthidox" construction techniques, and lack of inspections. It's none of my business and you can certainly tell me so. I don't doubt a single thing you've done, just curious how that works, and hope you are protected in case of fire or whatever.

The only inspection/permit Ive had for our place on limestone is for the septic. Had to get a plan approved by the county before install. Everything else we did. We called the insurance company told them what we had and what we wanted and they wrote a policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

At this very moment I do not have insurance. I have a quote in hand but they have a skirting requirement. I have bought the skirting material already just need to install it. Because there is still some underside work I do not want to skirt it until completely done. I was really surprised at how affordable it was. The premium quoted was only $548.00 per year for 100,000 coverage of the dwelling.

Comment

I made a quick trip out to the ranch Friday morning by myself. The goal was to spend Friday Sat and Sunday out there to get a few things I can do alone.

First thing I did on Friday was take everything out of the Shed so I could install the flooring. I had 4 boxes of Laminate flooring that I had originally purchased for the inside of the cabin but changed we our minds on the color. Instead of returning those boxes I decided to keep em and use them somewhere else. I calculated the sq footage of the shed and determined that the 4 boxes were enough to do the job. I know; laminate flooring in a shed???? why the heck not! I got the laminate floor installed pretty quickly and returned the equipment and stuff back inside. Pics 1-4.

Secondly on Friday I started working on the deck around the bathroom. These boards need to be cut rounded around the Silo to fit. I was able to get most dangerous one done. (minus the screws I ran out!) Pics 5-7

Friday night I had a nice dinner, and then got a text from my son in South Dakota. The text said that he had a very good chance to get some playing time (he's a freshman QB at Dakota Wesleyan University) That text changed my weekend plans. I decided to go back home to watch the game on TV. So Saturday morning I just cleaned everything up and drove back to SA. I was happy I did because he got his very first snaps as a college football player as a true freshman. We were very proud of him and how he played considering the bad circumstances he had to go in with. Pic 8
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking great, that is great about your Son. I hope he is having a blast up there.

Comment

Continued Greatness and Congrats on the kiddo!

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                          Looking great, that is great about your Son. I hope he is having a blast up there.
                          Originally posted by jer_james View Post
                          Continued Greatness and Congrats on the kiddo!
                          Thank you!

Comment

Niiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

And it just keeps getting better.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                                X