Central Texas Beavers and River Otters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beaver and Otters

I caught a huge beaver in a coon set when I was 12 years old, that was 42 years ago. It was between Temple and Troy on a small creek that ran thru our place about a 1/4 mile off I-35. Have seen alot of beavers all over the place here in Bell county since then. We have had some otters at the lake (Belton) that will steal the crappie out of the fish basket. They come in the bottom door of the basket. Sneaky dang things.

Comment

Back in the 70s and 80s I trapped plenty of beaver in the Navasota, Brazos, Neches and Sabine rivers and their tributaries, as well as in Brady creek and a few in Louisiana. Caught a few otters in the Sabine also.

Comment

I have a beaver on my spot I hunt near Hempstead. It's about 1,000 yards from the Brazos, and he is trying to dam up a small creek that is only about 24" wide. I am trying to time him so I can take care of him trying to take down massive trees.

Comment

Im about your same age and back in the late 70's we trapped beavers in Keechie Creek in anderson county. We probably trapped down there for at least 7 years and always had some that we just couldn't trap.

Comment

Strangest place I ever had a beaver encounter (the 4 legged type) was in Val Verde County!! I shot one on an irrigation canal on the Moody ranch South of Del Rio... That's about the last place I'd think a beaver would be!

Comment

Lots of otters in the San Gabriel River watershed east of IH35.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                Strangest place I ever had a beaver encounter (the 4 legged type) was in Val Verde County!! I shot one on an irrigation canal on the Moody ranch South of Del Rio... That's about the last place I'd think a beaver would be!
                We found a alligator ( a big one )living in a tank/ pond out near ozona TX
                So a beaver out that way doesn’t surprise me

Comment

I think I can explain where the beavers came from. You see, son, when a mommy beaver and a daddy beaver REALLY love each other, they go into the woods....

Comment

My folks had one in Elgin that really did some damage. They sold the property and bought East of Waco. Low and behold there were several occupying that tank and tunneled a hole through the dam. Now they're trying to fix the dam.

Comment

I’ve seen beavers in Wimberley and in Austin (Parmer/Lamar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Inks lake has quite a few. We see them while bowfishing all the time

Comment

Spent most of my youth in the Hill Country and I can tell you from experience that there are a lot of quality beavers in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
                            I grew up in Taylor and one of my mothers uncles trapped quite a lot back in his day. He showed me how to trap and told me there were mink on Mustang Creek and Bull branch that runs south of town and through town. I didn't really believe him about the mink... until I caught two of them. Beautiful milk chocolate color fur with a white crest on their chest. Mounted one of them and kept the fur of the other. I bet they are still there since no one knows about them and trapping is fading away.
                            This is specifically the areas I am speaking of. Never see any of them growing up in the 70-80’s. I did see nutria back then, but never a beaver or otter.

Actually what brought this up was the City of Taylor caught a Beaver in one of the parks. He was plugging up a drain pipe.
                            Last edited by Ungawa; 08-21-2020, 12:52 PM.

Comment

There’s beaver scattered around llano county.

Comment

I have trapped beavers in Montgomery County... and that was 20 years ago. Also I remember seeing otters from a tree stand next to a creek on a lease in Houston County back before that. Really cool to watch them.

Comment

Working...
                                X