How hard is it to GC a shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other thread got me thinking and I was looking for advice from anyone on here who has done it, in regards to GC'ing a shop and sub-contracting it out. So, was it relatively simple, was it a PIA, would you do it again or pay someone to do it, etc? I am sure that I am missing some questions so any experience or information, advice, or comments are helpful.

For reference, I am looking at building a 32x12x10 stick frame shop/garage to put my boat in. The builders built my detached garage too short, so the boat hitch sticks out of the garage about 2 feet. I plan on paying a little more for it, as it is supposed to match the house and detached garage.

Very easy. What’s your plan? Concrete? Power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
      Very easy. What’s your plan? Concrete? Power?

So, I already have a slab, but I am not sure if it is going to work or not. It is part of my driveway and the hammerhead parking spot that they poured when they poured the driveway on new construction. I have since had that extended 10 feet as well. I know they put rebar in the concrete, but dont know if it was enough to hold the weight of a building and I dont think they put any footers or beams in the slab.

The plan is to have a 10 foot roll up door, one 110 outlet (maybe, if it can be tied into the current electrical in the attached garage or detached garage), no insulation, no water, no attic, etc. Basically, it is going to be where I back my boat into, unhook from the truck, and close the garage door. I dont even know if I want to have power or outlets there. Basically, an enclosed boat storage building that has to match my house (2-3 foot wainscot of limestone rock, board and batten siding or stucco, whichever is less expensive, shingle roof, and manual garage door).

Comment

If you are paying cash I say go for it, if not find a friend or family member who will sign as the contractor. I have spoke with three different banks that will allow me to name the contractor, and that person does not need to be in the business, they just have to be able to pass the credit check. The hard part will be finding the workers to do it for you if you don't have someone in mind already that has a clear schedule to start your job. I am about to start a 50'x120' Barndo that is half shop half house and I plan on being the GC, but this will be the third house I have built myself just subbing out the workers and doing what I could do myself. It's very doable if you have guidance.

Comment

Anyone else have any input?

Comment

I highly recommend hiring a professional. A good general contractor is good because he makes the job look easy; it is anything but. In this time of manufacturing deficits and supply chain disruptions, it’s even more important to have a professional who, in spite of the best laid plans, is used to seeing the “wheels fall off the bus” in the middle of a project, and to having to put them back on—almost every day. And then there’s dealing with sub-contractors—it’s a thankless and never-ending hassle and the uninitiated are like babes in the woods. They get eaten up before daybreak and never see it coming.

Find a good GC, pay him/her the money, and let him deal with the hassles.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              I highly recommend hiring a professional. A good general contractor is good because he makes the job look easy; it is anything but. In this time of manufacturing deficits and supply chain disruptions, it’s even more important to have a professional who, in spite of the best laid plans, is used to seeing the “wheels fall off the bus” in the middle of a project, and to having to put them back on—almost every day. And then there’s dealing with sub-contractors—it’s a thankless and never-ending hassle and the uninitiated are like babes in the woods. They get eaten up before daybreak and never see it coming.

Find a good GC, pay him/her the money, and let him deal with the hassles.

Id agree fully with this. Unless you have tried and true crews that can handle every aspect of the build without issues I wouldn’t touch it. You bring in any unknown crew/shop and they screw you than you eat that. Could require teardown and rebuild costing you a fortune. Let the GC take that risk off your hands. Call it a risk mitigation expense.

Comment

Working...
              X