Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein

When is the best time to start protein after season

Most people say right after the rut they need it the most. A lot of places are feeding protein year around. We feed protein until Oct then start back up in Jan after our rut down south.

Comment

Can't really find a better time than now. We run it all year long but as soon as the ruts over in your area I'd start pouring it to them. They have been hammering the feed fee last couple of weeks.

Comment

I used to let it run out after Labor Day and start again after season but I went to year round a few years ago.

Our buck activity would fall off the moment the protein ran out.

Comment

I’m in the all year long crowd. Your deer will stay with you all year long because of it. Helps bucks post rut and gets doe ready for fawning season.

Comment

I’ve been feedeing for three years and my deer have just now turned on to it. I’ve had more pics of deer the last three months than I have the three years proceeding that. I plan to keep it full.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm gonna bring a load out tomorrow

Comment

My theory and it is only theory is that if you can get the deer started on it young, the young bucks might just hang around instead of going to summer ground. Most of my mature bucks still leave my property every year and get no benefit from the protein during the development stage. But I am starting to see more 3 year olds stay through the summer so maybe it is starting to work. It’s hard to defy nature and change their off season habits. But all and all the deer will be healthier and without a doubt I have seen my fawn crop double if not more in 4 seasons now on this particular property. A lot of twins this past season as well from healthier mommas and that sure helps your overall population rapidly.

Comment

Working...
                X