X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks pretty durn good

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
      I think I saw the same FB thing as you and was a little thrown off by the mashed taters on a sandwich but I'd sure try it.

The one thing out of the ordinary that I like to do with my ground venison is Gyros. Alton Brown has a recipe on the internet, I just use ground venison in place of lamb or beef and it turns out great. Of course we do all the bacon wrapped, chicken fried, tacos, spaghetti, chili, etc but the gyro is one that is a little out of the ordinary that we really liked.
      I like gyros occasionally, cool twist.

Yeah the mashed taters on it had me puzzled, but I always take a heap of potato and put it on my roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        Those look great!!

It is hard to pin point my favorite recipe. As the weather, occasion, and mood dictate what is my favorite. But here goes a couple I enjoy.

Fish, of any variety. Filet coat the outside lightly with ranch dressing and whatever seasonings you like. Grill or bake in the oven. I prefer grilled on a cedar plank that has soaked in water or wine. I soak the planks overnight for the next day use.

Roast cut from any species deer, pig, etc. Throw into a crock pot. Packet of ranch dressing mix, packet of Au Jus, jar of slice pepperchinis (spelling might be off...) if you are into cooking with cast iron. Do this in your Dutch oven over a camp fire. Great camp meal. Serve on sweet rolls or better yet. Get Dale Moser beer bread recipe. Man oh man. Great meal!

Take a nice thick cut of meat/steak. Slice a pocket in the middle. Fill with sliced mushrooms, fresh spinach, caramelized onions, garlic, and fresh mozzarella balls. Close just the pocket with bacon pinned to the cut of meat. Season to your liking. I prefer to smoke it on low heat for about an hour. Then pan sear in a cast iron skillet. You'll thank me later on this one. Sometimes I eat it with horse radish sauce on the side like a prime rib.
        Regarding the fish, I was in Providence several years ago where I had the best skillet prepared fish I’ve ever eaten. Generally speaking, I never order fish when other options are available—beef, in particular—because, after about the third bite, the fish gets kinda “boring” to me. Anyway, this fish I had in Providence—some kind of white fish, I don’t remember which—was incredible! When I asked the waiter what made it taste so good, he replied, “We season it with mushroom powder.”

Huh??

So I’m curious to know if you (or anyone else following along) have ever used mushroom powder in your seasoning process.

And that stuffed meat/steak? It sounds amazing. I plan to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          From someone who grew up in the UK and still have half my family over there;

Shepherd's pie = Lamb
          Cottage pie = Beef
          Hunter's pie = Venison

One must be proper about how one speaks!

The standard is: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe2-1942900

Now that you mention it, I do remember reading an article recently that made this very same distinction.

I thank you for again bringing this distinction to light. I’m a bit of an idiot savant in that, while I can’t cipher more than two numbers together in my head, I LOVE proper forms of grammar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

From someone who grew up in the UK and still have half my family over there;

Shepherd's pie = Lamb
            Cottage pie = Beef
            Hunter's pie = Venison

One must be proper about how one speaks!

The standard is: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe2-1942900
            Found this out the hard way in Rotterdam. Can’t stand Lamb. I like our version better.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
              Found this out the hard way in Rotterdam. Can’t stand Lamb. I like our version better.
              Well, lambs just gross, so.....yep

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by rolylane6; 01-20-2022, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                Well, lambs just gross, so.....yep

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Except in Iceland. Some of the best red meat Ive ever tasted. The entire island is like a free range territory and they eat wild. So far removed from the Mediterranean lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  Regarding the fish, I was in Providence several years ago where I had the best skillet prepared fish I’ve ever eaten. Generally speaking, I never order fish when other options are available—beef, in particular—because, after about the third bite, the fish gets kinda “boring” to me. Anyway, this fish I had in Providence—some kind of white fish, I don’t remember which—was incredible! When I asked the waiter what made it taste so good, he replied, “We season it with mushroom powder.”

Huh??

So I’m curious to know if you (or anyone else following along) have ever used mushroom powder in your seasoning process.

And that stuffed meat/steak? It sounds amazing. I plan to give it a try.
                  Well.... dang... Now I am searching and purchasing mushroom powder!! I thought mushroom powder was dirt. I stand corrected. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                    Well.... dang... Now I am searching and purchasing mushroom powder!! I thought mushroom powder was dirt. I stand corrected. Lol

Dirt? That’s not what I thought you were going to say.

I’d read once where you can buy dehydrated mushrooms and, using a microplane, grate it directly over what you’re cooking. I tried this once and the result was that it tasted exactly like a mushroom that had been left in a sweaty gym sock—the one that’s been missing since 2002 because it fell BEHIND the laundry basket in the back of your closet when the bank shot you threw it with was a little high—and hasn’t been seen since.

So I thought about it, and I said….salt! It just needs a little salt! After some additional research, I came across a recipe for a seasoning mix that, in addition to the mushroom powder, called for salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and….one other thing, I think. I mixed up a batch last weekend but haven’t tried it yet because, for whatever reason, I have lost my enthusiasm. It’s been sitting on my counter all week. Each time I go in the kitchen, we have a stare-down, circle each other a time or two, then walk away so nobody gets hurt.

Comment

Awesomeness

Comment

Nilgai Vegetable Soup/stew

It'll be great for the coming cold weather and hit the spot for me.

For me: a great way to use up some soon to be expiring fresh vegetables & canned goods that traveled all the way up to Colorado and all over Texas in a food box during my hunting adventures. I'm still trying to gain back the 21lbs I lost- evidently I did not eat from the amount of food I still have left over.

In the Potjust google a recipe you like, doesn't have to be followed exactly)

What I did:

3lbs Browned Nilgai ground(season how you like it) I use garlic salt, salt free fajita seasoning and italian seasoning with chopped onions
                        Diced potatoes
                        3 Celery Ribs
                        Shredded Carrots
                        2 cans of Rotel Diced tomato
                        1 can of corn
                        1 can of Green Beans
                        Couple Bay Leaves

3 cans of beef broth

I make some Beef broth from Kitchen Accomplice Beef stock concentrate by simply mixing it with water. Add that.

Lastly I use Bùn Bó, a Vietnamese/Laos "Asian" Beef paste from the Asian market (I used to date a half Laos & half German woman, her Mom taught me that, she could make PHÓ and eggrolls that'll ruin you for life they're so good.) It's super high in sodium so if you do get funky, less is more! Or just add more water if its too salty.

Final touch is pepper vinegar. I used my parents homemade chilé pequìn vinegar and a few dashes of Tabasco.

Super easy prep and freezes great so make a big arse pot to enjoy some later.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunters (Shepherds) Pie. Ground Whitetail with 20 percent beef back fat.

Comment

Hunters (Shepherds) Pie. Ground Whitetail with 20 percent beef back fat.

That looks like it'll put some weight back on me! Looks good. Where do you buy beef back fat?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                              That looks like it'll put some weight back on me! Looks good. Where do you buy beef back fat?

Local butchers. Big grocery chains in my area always tell me no but in other areas the same chains sell it. I drop 4 cubes of venison down the grind chute with 1 cube of fat and I have my ratio already mixed ready for stuffing into bags.

Comment

Local butchers. Big grocery chains in my area always tell me no but in other areas the same chains sell it. I drop 4 cubes of venison down the grind chute with 1 cube of fat and I have my ratio already mixed ready for stuffing into bags.

Thanks for sharing. I don't have a meat grinder, is it likely that butchers have it pre-ground and ready to mix or is that not something you've seen?

I get all my wild game processed and have for years and really can't say anything bad about anything from Slovaceks Wild Game. But there's times where I think it may be fun to do it myself...

Comment

Working...
                                X