elder law attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

elder law attorney

Does there happen to be an elder law attorney or someone with parents going into or in nursing homes on here? I have a few questions about my mothers assets. Thank you

Piya Mayo in Baytown (that’s not mis spelled). I don’t think there is a more experienced elder law attorney around. It’s all he and his law partner do. Very capable and very reasonable on fees.

Comment

We used Chuck Brauman from Brown/Bauman&Smith from Tyler, tx area for my Mother’s affairs.

Comment

While not in your area, we used Brad Wiewel (wee-well) for my parent’s estate planning and asset protection as well as their elder-care medical planning. We did this about eight years ago with, I believe, one update since then. I was very pleased with their advice which, in my parents case, was to create a revocable trust. This provided flexibility for changes should “changes of mind” occur down the road (say, by a surviving spouse), helped limit tax liabilities (which, of course, changes with every new political administration), and helped set up advance directives. The Wiewell Law Firm has offices in Austin, Georgetown, Horseshoe Bay, and San Antonio.

Fast forward to today, my dad had a stroke about six months ago rendering him (temporarily, we hope) mentally incapacitated and that also impacted my mother’s emotional health rendering her unwilling or unable to make decisions at times. We’ve referred to the Estate docs many times to help guide my mother’s thinking. More importantly, as my parent’s designated MPOA, it also provided me the leverage I needed at a critical point in my father’s medical care where my well-meaning-but-misguided sisters disagreed with me about a course of treatment. (They are suspicious of Big Pharma and wanted to treat his night terrors with something “natural,” Melatonin.)

No matter which elder care or estate planning attorney you choose, I think you are wise to pursue this course of action. At a time when you’re having to deal with an acute medical condition, multiple doctors and other medical professionals, and, worst of all, having to navigate the Medicare morass, an estate plan is yet another arrow in your quiver at a time when you need all you can get.

Good luck to you and your family, sir.

Comment

Working...
        X