Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-04-2022, 11:45 PM   #1
Riceguy
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Does anyone work for a Utilities Service Company?

I have an interview next week with a company that does work in the utilities space - they have bucket trucks to fix power lines and contract with companies like Oncor (not a whole lot of other information right now).

My background is traditional oilfield services with generators mixed in, so I know a little bit about electrical risks, but nothing about the traditional utility side.

I'm looking for a little information on these types of companies if someone is able to chat for a little bit.

Appreciate any assistance.
Riceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 12:25 AM   #2
Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montana

What job are you interviewing for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 01:16 AM   #3
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I work for a city utility entity, power production. Gas turbines, steam turbines, racking in breakers, some substation work. I don’t know if I would be able to help you but I could give it a shot.
STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 06:42 AM   #4
Killer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: God's green earth

I work with OH and UG contractors on a daily basis. I would say it depends on the company. Some are great to work with, others employees come and go like the wind. Nearly every one of these type companies are looking for employees right now because it is so busy.
Find out what their overtime policies are and what kind of benefits they have. Do they expect you to travel all over the state and out of state chasing storms? Most do.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 07:35 AM   #5
the-butcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: cushing,tx

Pm sent

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
the-butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #6
Riceguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
What job are you interviewing for?

Iím interviewing for a corporate safety (EHS) position.

Thank you for the replies, gents, Iíll reach out to you in a bit.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #7
Bill
Pope & Young

I did 5 minutes reading about EHS positions.

Hereís some interview questions to you to have a killer answers for.

- what do you think the most challenging environmental regulations youíve ever had to implement?

- tell me about a time you had to implement state and federal safety regulations and you overcame objections from the workers? From the management?

- what new environmental regulation changes coming in 2022/23 should we be prepared for? Same question for safety?

- who in the Texas regulatory government department is your go-to person when you find ambiguity in interpreting a new regulation? Tell me about a time you were able to save your company money by not taking everything into account implementing a regulation?

- go to the whiteboard and write me a rough outline and agenda for a 1- hour training course for workers? Is that enough time? How much class vs hands-on have you found to work best? Same for a 4-hour coursez

Old 01-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #8
Hardcortex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Limestone Co.

I was a safety director for a small underground/overhead utility construction company and would be happy to discuss any questions you might have. From your OP, it looks like you are a little concerned about the electrical hazards associated with the job - that can be taught, look into the company's training, it needs to be thorough, books and hands on. For what it's worth, the electrical hazard was NOT the biggest issue we faced, it was everything else involved in the job like driving and walking.
Hardcortex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-07-2022, 08:31 AM   #9
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcortex View Post
I was a safety director for a small underground/overhead utility construction company and would be happy to discuss any questions you might have. From your OP, it looks like you are a little concerned about the electrical hazards associated with the job - that can be taught, look into the company's training, it needs to be thorough, books and hands on. For what it's worth, the electrical hazard was NOT the biggest issue we faced, it was everything else involved in the job like driving and walking.
I've been in the electric utility business for >36 years, and agree with the above.
boy wonder is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2022, 11:29 AM   #10
Riceguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcortex View Post
Thanks for the reply. Due to scheduling issues, we ended up moving up the interview and I found out they do a bit of UG and OH work and are moving towards substations. I'll be sending a pm. Thank you.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:35 AM   #11
Riceguy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I did 5 minutes reading about EHS positions.

Hereís some interview questions to you to have a killer answers for.

- what do you think the most challenging environmental regulations youíve ever had to implement?

- tell me about a time you had to implement state and federal safety regulations and you overcame objections from the workers? From the management?

- what new environmental regulation changes coming in 2022/23 should we be prepared for? Same question for safety?

- who in the Texas regulatory government department is your go-to person when you find ambiguity in interpreting a new regulation? Tell me about a time you were able to save your company money by not taking everything into account implementing a regulation?

- go to the whiteboard and write me a rough outline and agenda for a 1- hour training course for workers? Is that enough time? How much class vs hands-on have you found to work best? Same for a 4-hour coursez

Thank you, Bill!
Old 01-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #12
Bill
Pope & Young

I donít know how senior a position this is. My questions would be for a person who claims directly related experience and not getting trained OTJ.

Good luck. Always close and ask for the job.