Lithium Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium Batteries

Looking for input on Lithium Batteries.. The Good, Bad, and Ugly around going to Lithium instead of Lead. Thinking about switching to Lithium in a 48 Volt Golf Cart
    Whatcha Got Green Screen??

GO

Cold weather hard on them and they tend to tank from low"ish" to dead when temps drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
      Cold weather hard on them and they tend to tank from low"ish" to dead when temps drop.
      Huh, that's weird I have some sensors in my freezers and they recommend lithium batteries because they say they tolerate the cold way better than regular batteries

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Only downside is cost. Will benefit every other way..

Comment

Originally posted by Adgerc15 View Post
          I have never experienced this issue. And, I had lots of trail cams out last winter in the deep freeze using them. Probably 18-20.

Comment

Originally posted by wes122984 View Post
            Only downside is cost. Will benefit every other way..
            Not if you consider the cost of Trojan Lead batteries. Looking at some Lithium Batteries with an 11 year warranty. Consider 5-7 years on a set of Trojans at $900+ for a 6-8volt system, and if you get 14 years out of the Lithium the price is very comparable.

Comment

The recharge cycle life of liths far exceeds that of any LA batteries. Some of the better lithiums have a Battery management system built into them that allows them to be used down to -4F. But shuts off accepting a charge at 32F till the battery temp comes back up to 32F. The one I have has a heated battery blanket that runs off the battery it's self when I turn it on. Once it warms it's self up, it takes a charge. Course, the blanket will run of the charger as well when hooked up. This allows me to run mid-winter duck hunts, and fish, get home after dark when it's below freezing. And have the battery fully charged in less than 5 hours. And ready to go the next morning when it's 32F or lower. My lifetime warranty of 10 years is great also. And will take up to 5,000-6,000 recharges. You will only get 300-400 recharges with lead acid in most cases. Plus, if you have a 100 amp hr lead acid battery, you effectively only have 50 amp hours of use. beyond that and the battery gets damaged. With liths, you can run them down to 10% of full capacity. And not damage it.

Which brings to mind, liths usually recharge faster than lead acid batteries.
              Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-30-2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

From what I have read as I have been looking into Lipo4 lithium batteries for solar power set up it's charging them at low temps that kills them. Some of the more expensive Lipo4's have a high temp and low temp sensor that will save the battery.

Comment

Just finished the upgrade to Lithium on my 36v EZGO and I was apprehensive due to the upfront cost but I am sold now. Big performance upgrade and zero maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                    From what I have read as I have been looking into Lipo4 lithium batteries for solar power set up it's charging them at low temps that kills them. Some of the more expensive Lipo4's have a high temp and low temp sensor that will save the battery.

That "temp sensor" is part of the battery management system, aka BMS. I wouldn't get a battery without it.

Another thing about liths is the power output is near 100% till it gets near completely drained. Then looses motor power very qickly. That is unlike lead acid with it's felt loss in power as the battery runs down.

Comment

I’m in the critical power backup industry and we are installing Lithium batteries on 60% of new installs verse VRLA’s and increases every year. The cost has steadily gone down on lithium batteries to the point they are a better long term solution. Lithium’s out perform VRLA’s across the board.

Comment

Most of the lithium supply is now owned by china, thanks to FJB pulling out of Afghanistan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
                          Not if you consider the cost of Trojan Lead batteries. Looking at some Lithium Batteries with an 11 year warranty. Consider 5-7 years on a set of Trojans at $900+ for a 6-8volt system, and if you get 14 years out of the Lithium the price is very comparable.
                          I would believe that neither will get your quoted time for most people. I can’t prove that, especially on lithium, but lead acids have to be maintained perfectly to get 5/7 years out of them. I’ve replaced batts three times in a couple different carts and the current one has six years on them but they are kaput now. I’ve maintained them religiously. Trojans.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            The recharge cycle life of liths far exceeds that of any LA batteries. Some of the better lithiums have a Battery management system built into them that allows them to be used down to -4F. But shuts off accepting a charge at 32F till the battery temp comes back up to 32F. The one I have has a heated battery blanket that runs off the battery it's self when I turn it on. Once it warms it's self up, it takes a charge. Course, the blanket will run of the charger as well when hooked up. This allows me to run mid-winter duck hunts, and fish, get home after dark when it's below freezing. And have the battery fully charged in less than 5 hours. And ready to go the next morning when it's 32F or lower. My lifetime warranty of 10 years is great also. And will take up to 5,000-6,000 recharges. You will only get 300-400 recharges with lead acid in most cases. Plus, if you have a 100 amp hr lead acid battery, you effectively only have 50 amp hours of use. beyond that and the battery gets damaged. With liths, you can run them down to 10% of full capacity. And not damage it.

Which brings to mind, liths usually recharge faster than lead acid batteries.
                            Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            That "temp sensor" is part of the battery management system, aka BMS. I wouldn't get a battery without it.

Another thing about liths is the power output is near 100% till it gets near completely drained. Then looses motor power very qickly. That is unlike lead acid with it's felt loss in power as the battery runs down.
                            What kind of batteries do you have, where did you get them and how much are they. ( Can you loan me some $ bro ?)

No kidding, I’m about to have to make a decision on either:

1. Replacing my Trojans with Trojans
                            2. Replacing them with lithium
                            3. Replacing them with Duracells
                            4. Sell the cart minus what it costs to install batteries

Thanks !

Comment

If you don’t mind assembling batteries yourself and putting them in some kind of enclosure then you can buy a 100 amp/hr Lifepo4 battery kit with BMS and low temp cut off with 2,000 cycle rated cylindrical cells for less than $300 each from batteryhookup.com. I just finished installing 3 of these kits in my RV and made a simple wooden enclosure to hold them all.

Comment

Working...
                              X