Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s the worst blown shot opportunity you’ve had?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s the worst blown shot opportunity you’ve had?

The other thread about the luckiest shot you’ve had got me to think what’s your worst I can’t believe I missed that shot story?
    Couple that come to mind buddy and I were duck hunting Stillhouse lake. Water was super high the walk-in area was flooded we had 1 small tree we hid behind one on each side. Wind was blowing a good 30mph. I had a widgeon coming in low maybe 3ft of the water and he was really fighting the wind watched him come from long ways away and looked like slow motion. He was coming to my side and I buddy said you got him? I said yeah I’m bout to lay the wood to this mfer. He came right in for a chip shot and I emptied my gun and didn’t even knock a feather out. My buddy was laughing so hard he couldn’t even shoot.

Another time was duck hunting Ft Hood and was glassing some ponds and found about a dozen canvasbacks sitting on it. But sneaking up on it was gonna be tough. I parked a good ways away and got on the low side and started sneaking up on them. The gravel road between us was the last thing I needed to cover to get a shot so I belly crawled across the road and peaked over and they were right up against the bank I needed. I raised up and unloaded and killed a hen. I was ****** at myself all that work and shot the wrong one.
    All the elite hunters on here I hope I’m
    Not the only one that has the SMH moments [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brand new deer hunter. $425 east tx timber lease. Doe came out with her tongue wagging and looking over her shoulder. I was too dumb to think a buck was chasing her. Didn't get ready. Big mature 10 pt, very wide, stepped out into the right-of-way and looked at me. I squeezed off on his shoulder with my brand new .270. NOTHING. Forgot to take the safety off. I thought I forgot to put a round in the chamber so I worked the bolt and got back on the deer....as he walked out of sight forever.

Comment

My worst one was when I rushed a 15 yard chip shot on a buck with a double main beam and shot right over his back. The funniest one ever was when my dad had a skunk living in the culvert by his shop. The plan was for dad to turn the spot light on when he came out right after dark and I would shoot. Well he came out right after dark just as planned, well when dad hits him with the light he is running right at us and I panicked rushing the shot and miss with a single shot 20ga. Well he sprays and takes off, luckily we were at least up wind of him! Dad asked “what happened did you get skunk fever”?

Comment

Forgot about this one. In 2012 I didn’t have a deer lease but had a buddy that would take me and my son when he could. 1st hunt was just my buddy and I. We had a buck coming in and by the time I had a shot it wasn’t that far I shot and he jumped straight up. We found couple small spots of blood that was it never found the deer. Few weeks later my son who was 9 at the time was able to go. Right at daylight a buck showed up it kinda frantic trying to get him setup on him but cool as a cucumber he drops him about 100yrds. We do all the high fives and celebrate with the boy. Once we get over to the buck we notice he has a patch of skin on his belly missing. We realized it was the buck I shot at a few weeks ago and just grazed his belly. I had a proud dad moment and how did I make that awful of a shot moment all at the same time. Can see the hair missing in the pic

Comment

Not a miss initially, but………I was sitting on the ground with my S&W Model 29 in my lap. Watching a scrape to my left. I’ve been there about an hour and my butt’s getting sore so I take a look around before I shift. When I straighten my head there’s a big bodied buck with funky antlers standing about thirty yards in front of me. He obviously sees my head turn and he freezes. I ease my revolver up with one hand and rest the butt on my knee. I line up the sights behind his shoulder and sqeeze the trigger. At the shot he hits the ground but proceeds to jump back up as did I. In those days I could He starts to run straight to me and I hit him again square in the chest; I saw the hair fly off when the bullet hit. It knocked him down and he sat on his butt like a dog for a couple heartbeats, then got up and slowly walked away. He was now broadside and 20 yards or less and I fired 3 more shots. One cut the hair across his chest, one completely missed him and one hit him in the antler ! That one floored him ! But….he got back up ! As I only had five in the cylinder my gun was empty, so I ejected the empties and tried to put some more cartridges in. I dropped more than I loaded, (this was the first buck I had ever shot at with a handgun) and about that time he walked behind a huge post oak. I could only see his rear so I eased up and looked around the tree only to see a huge hole in his side and blood running out of his nose. I was as nervous as a four balled tomcat so I just let him walk out of sight. About the time he disappeared I heard him fall. Success and failure all in the same three minutes !
          Attached Files

Comment

Made a bad shot on this big 8 as he spooked as I let the arrow fly. This was on a 5 acre place in Comal County. Made me sick. He showed back up on camera 11 days later. Had hunted him for a couple years already and continued to hunt him for a couple more years. He went down a lot, but I still wanted him bad. Never gave me another shot

Comment

Since you asked about the worst, does a world record typical at 12 yards on public land count?

Comment

I’d have to say it was the red stag bull the guide called in right on top of us in Australia. He didn’t come in where I was expecting and surprised me. I flung one right over his back at about 17-18yds!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Mine is pretty embarrassing. I was sitting on the Limpopo River several years ago hunting specifically for Bush Buck. I was nursing a serious hang over and didn’t see a stud of a specimen until it was too late. Had I been in the correct state and on my game he would have come home with me as well. Oh well, life goes on.

[emoji1662]

Comment

18 yard shot on the biggest buck of my life and that I will probably ever get a chance to shoot at in Kansas. Watched him for 20 min before he came in and he had me all sorts of twisted up drew back 3 different times before I could get a shot.. ..then shot right under him. First buck I'd missed in years and I will never forget that rack running away through the timber.

Comment

Rookie bow hunter 13 or 14. hadn’t killed anything with a bow at this point. Huge buck walked out on public GA land at 40 yards and looked at me broadside for 5 seconds or so, then walked off. I never even drew back.

Comment

Air balled this buck at 150 yards free hand. Five days later my cousin shot him. It was his first deer ever, heck of a first deer. I was happy for him.

Comment

Still remember missing the first bobcat I ever called in. If I'd have had a shotgun he'd have been a goner. I hate missing or wounding anything, period. It drives me nuts and it sticks with me for a day or two. If I even miss a coyote you'd think I just missed the biggest deer I've ever seen. Not a good feeling.

Comment

the 300" bull I wounded at 24 yards this year

Comment

1 month ago i had a big buck show back up from last spring, only had him on cam a handful of times last year, he would be there for a day and then gone for a week, luckily i found a shed of his in april....

he was on cam the morning of friday 11/26, so saturday morning i am in the stand and he comes in to 20y, standing behind a tree, 2-3 steps from the feeder. i knew the wind wasnt ideal and would probably be swirling down in the bottom when i went, and of course he comes in almost straight downwind.

he stopped short of the feeder and looked right at me. backed up and walked back the way he came. i stopped him briefly with a grunt tube, but he was out of bow range.

didnt see him for a week when he showed back up for 4 pics at night on the 5th, then was gone till the 19th, at 430am. havent seen him back since. i am leaving wednesday for 5 days in colorado so if i cant catch him between now and then i am hoping my son will get a chance during youth season.

biggest deer ive ever seen in person. sucks to watch them walk away like that lol. if i could take a rifle out there i would.

edit: and now it looks like my cam isnt working, havent gotten a pic since 2am this morning and the place is covered with pigs so i should at least be getting some this evening. looks like i will be there in the morning.
                              Last edited by jshouse; 12-24-2021, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X