Suggest a dog breed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
    My wife wants a large to huge dog that will follow my son around the pastures and protect him from anything that gets near him (including snakes), and is a happy goofy dog with people, and can take the Texas heat.

Whatcha got?
    You can't just pick a breed and get what you're asking. There are good dogs, and there are great dogs. And there are some that just aren't up to stuff, and it's across all breeds. Some breeds are bred better then others. I'd look closer at breeds that haven't been overbred. Still it's luck of the draw.

Comment

Heelers

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
      Healer. Not as big as you think but can handle anything.
      HEELERS ARE EXTREMELY PROTECTIVE

Comment

Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Best dog I've ever had and very protective of all family members. Big enough to be intimidating to any possible threat.

Comment

Not blue healer. Mine won’t eat if I don’t put a drop of ranch or bbq sauce in his food. Brat.

Comment

Originally posted by spread5150 View Post
            Not blue healer. Mine won’t eat if I don’t put a drop of ranch or bbq sauce in his food. Brat.

I think it’s fair to say that a bad trainer can ruin a good dog regardless of breed/bloodline/disposition. And I’m not casting stones as I’m guilty of it too.

Comment

Well. I guess all my planning didn’t mean crap when my wife showed up with a St Berdoodle about 4 hours ago. My son named him Saint. Pup won’t leave his side and my bloodhound and him are gently wrestling around. Even my mother in law seems to like him so I guess that’s good. Lord help us.

Comment

I have a silver lab that has sniffed every snake we have seen and not seen out and has also thrown smaller dogs that have chased my 4 year old daughter on a bike...he’s 104 lbs last doc visit but is truly a gentle giant....I wouldn’t trade him for the world but I also think any dog breed you choose will be great, they truly are a mans best friend as long as you treat them right

Comment

*Update*I told my wife she was full of crap that dog isn’t a Saint Bernard poodle mix. She said of course it is. Sent off the dna test because for once I am going to be right.

Came back last night and He is a Great Pyrenees Australian Cattle dog mix.

Doesn’t matter. That dog is awesome. We sure lucked out with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                    *Update*I told my wife she was full of crap that dog isn’t a Saint Bernard poodle mix. She said of course it is. Sent off the dna test because for once I am going to be right.

Came back last night and He is a Great Pyrenees Australian Cattle dog mix.

Doesn’t matter. That dog is awesome. We sure lucked out with him.
                    Best of both worlds right there. Loyalty and intelligence. That Great Pyrenees blood will be the fearlessness and the Heeler will have the smarts.

Comment

Another heeler fan here. I currently have and have had several. Top 5 smartest dogs, working dog and very protective. They will not back down and will follow your kid anywhere and protect till death. Awesome breed.

Comment

Good job MrsRubberdown.

Its Heelers and GSDs for my kiddos.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
                          Presa Canario is what I chose. He’s 160 pounds and loyal to a fault. If I’m in the room, he has to be touching me in some way. Always sits with his back to me facing forward…..watching. He’s pretty rough on snakes, possums, armadillos, and pretty much anything that runs from him. He can be a complete goofball when he’s not on command. But he’s all business when he’s supposed to be.

Oh myyyy he’s beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                            Does anyone ever not pin the ears on the Presa's?
                            My brother left Mikeys ears natural…
                            Attached Files

Comment

Black Mouth cur. ( old Yeller). I had a beagle that watched after me, growing up

Comment

I can hook u up with a guy with Airedales

Comment

Working...
                                X