Deer heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer heart

Decided to cook this after several years of not having it. Came out great and even the wife loved it. This deer was shot this morning so it don't get much fresher.

Take your deer heart and cut off about an inch on the side that has all of the ventricles hanging out.

Use cold water to wash it and flush out the holes with your finger to get everything clean. Cut everything white and silver off the outside.

Cut into 1/2 steaks.

Use a small knife to cut out all of the white stuff in the middle of the steak.

Salt and pepper each steak.

Heat up a skillet to medium high with two or three pats of butter.

Coarse chop a sweet onion (about half or 3/4) and put it in the skillet. Add a tablespoon of minced garlic and stir.

Cook onions until they start to brown on the edges.

Put each steak in, making sure you have full contact with skillet (no onions under it).

Cook about a minute and a half on each side. When you flip, you can add a 1/4 cup of red wine if you want.

If you go beyond medium rare you pretty much ruined it.

Remove steaks and rest for 4-5 minutes while onions finish up. Pour onions on steaks and go to town!

We eat deer heart all the time. The kids love it. We tried deep frying also that turn out very good.

Comment

Interesting... What's the meat taste like? Like a steak or more like a liver?

Comment

Originally posted by LostInTexas View Post
        Interesting... What's the meat taste like? Like a steak or more like a liver?
        Like a steak, just different texture. Very dense meat, when chew says slice thin, slice thin, much more palatable. The heart is a muscle not an organ.

Comment

Been meaning to cook a heart these past 2 years. I will do it this year!

Comment

meat eater just takes a raw bite
            I definitely plan to cook some though

Comment

Good eats right there.

Comment

Dang, that looks good!

Comment

Great post and pics. Heart is easy to mess up and over cook but also awesome when done right. The texture is what is different. Very dense and not like a steak. It’s a heavily worked muscle obviously but still very good when done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Deer heart the bomb. I'm lucky enough to know some
                    Mld hunters it taste just like sirloin steak. I marinade just a bit in soy sauce and brown sugar over fried rice outstanding

Comment

Opening weekend we chopped some up, sautéed it and dumped it in with our breakfast mix and tortillas. Texture was great.

Comment

Pretty close to how I do mine....I like to make a guiso out of them. Makes for a rich gravy. The "Fiesta" brand seasoning makes a Carne Guisada seasoning that makes it super easy.....

Comment

Cooked some myself last night. I basically dissected the heart and sliced it all quite thin. Seasoned with Chupacabra seasoning and cooked it with onions. It was delicious.

Comment

Good eats there!

Comment

I’ve grilled it before and it was very good. These recipes look good.

Comment

Working...
                              X