Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Rifle, .300 win mag. Help me pick a round!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Rifle, .300 win mag. Help me pick a round!!!

I've been eyeing a "do-it-all" rifle for a couple years now. Really liked the Bergara line. Went into a shop a couple wks ago and they had one on the wall, so I got to put my hands on it and ended up ordering the B-14 ridge.

I like the HMR alot but when considering western pack hunts, it didnt make alot of sense to have a rifle weighing 10+ pounds before an optic.

Ended up ordering the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 on recommendation from some of my PD sniper buddies, an Army sniper buddy and 2 guys that are into the LR game.

Got the Area 419 brake after reading a few threads here.

The plan right now is to use it later this year after I get a bow kill or two for whitetail and pigs, then after this season spend some time stretching it out at the range.

.300 wm guys, what do yall like for whitetail? Im thinking something in the lower gr range obviously. 150 or 165 gr.

why not just shoot something heavier since its an 'everything' rifle?

Comment

Been hunting from Mexico to the arctic circle and only round I ever shot was
      180gr federal classic Because it shot very well and killed everything I shot
      Elk, nilgai, WT , mulie, barbery sheep caribou,
      I never felt like messing around with lesser mass

Comment

180 Grain Federal Premium. Either Nosler Partition or Trophy Copper.

Comment

215 gr. Berger Hybrids.

Hasn't failed me yet.

Comment

I love my .300. I have a Tikka T3X with a Bell & Carlson stock and a VX6HD 3-18-50. I shoot Hornady Precision Hunter ELD-X 200 grain. There's no advantage to a .300 unless you shoot heavy bullets. Otherwise, there's better caliber choices. Its obviously overkill for whitetail, but its really nice for big pigs or big game in general. With that being said, I will probably deer hunt with it this year since I put that VX6HD on it.
            Last edited by Arrowthreat; 10-01-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

For a do all rifle I would bump it up to a 180 gr.

If your trying to keep that rifle light weight your not going to like that 2 lb optic. There are other lighter options out there that will get you to 1k on the range and weigh significantly less and be in the same price range.

Comment

Federal Premium 185gr Berger Hybrid Hunter or 180gr Nosler Accubonds. They both group the same on my 300 with no change at point of impact.

Comment

Considering you did a Ridge to save weight, maybe go to a lighter optic? Could run a Leupold VX3I LRP 4.5-14x50 and save 1/2 a pound over the vortex. That’s some heavy glass on top of a ridge.

As far as rounds go, considering whitetail unless you are needing something specific just find something that shoots good in it. Anything is going to smack the crap out of whitetail and hogs. I’ve run Hornady American whitetail, Winchester big game, and Hornady precision hunter in mine. All shot great.

I’m running a ruger #1, and it has a brake. Better carry earplugs hunting. A .300 win mag is loud enough already, add a brake and they are deafening.

Comment

180 grain Barnes,and 180 Federal trophy bonded tipped shoot great in my 300's

Comment

Just depends on what it shoots well. Everything in Texas you are good with the 150, and it will lighten up the recoil a little, if it will shoot it. I do agree on the optics, and I like and own a couple Vortex, but they are very heavy scopes.
                      Last edited by BrianL; 10-01-2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I have the same scope, its good but she is a chunk.

Comment

In my opinion, off the shelf, it's hard to beat the Barnes Vor-Tx 150-grain TTSX BT for whitetail, axis, pigs, etc.. My 300wm loves them.

Comment

I would stick with a 180 grain bullet. I shoot Nosler Partitions, and Federal Trophy Bonded Tip.

I really like the Trophy Bonded Tip bullet. Unfortunately, I can not find any in stock anywhere right now. I need some bad for my upcoming elk hunt!

Comment

180 accubond is hard to beat for an all around bullet. Usually pretty easy to load with as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X