No announcement yet.

Fall Food Plots...what you planting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin seed fall mix has always been good for me. I add several pounds of assorted seeds to the fall mix and it always comes up.

Comment

Depending on rain fall. Hope everyone around me plants any thing but oats. They are the best deer food. Tried wheat, rye and every thing in between. Only thing against oats is a very cold winter. They freeze out easily.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
        I broadcast mine and it works fine, but a grain drill is certainly more efficient. I shredded and disked everything this weekend. When it's time to plant, I'll run the disk back over it lightly, just to enough to turn the top couple of inches over. Broadcast, fertilize, then drag/smooth it over. Then pray for rain. We do 200 lbs. to the acre. A guy in Deleon mixes my fertilizer based upon what the soil analysis says we need.

Thanks for the info. I'm deciding between Turner Fall Mix and a Harrison Oats. I will have wheat to my North and South so I'm looking at something different.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
          Depending on rain fall. Hope everyone around me plants any thing but oats. They are the best deer food. Tried wheat, rye and every thing in between. Only thing against oats is a very cold winter. They freeze out easily.
          Lol were planting only oats as well

Comment

My plot is about 5 acres and currently in Browntop Millet. My plan is to disk, fertilize (soil test sent today), and broadcast in late September / early October. Does this sound right?

Here's a picture of the plot from this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5765.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	24510021

Comment

Originally posted by parkchief100 View Post
              Justin seed fall mix has always been good for me. I add several pounds of assorted seeds to the fall mix and it always comes up.

http://justinseed.com/seeds/wildlife...ots/deer-mixes
              Yes their fall deer mix with Clover looks awesome. Just shipping would kick my butt

Comment

I am going with oats, ryegrass, peas and clover (not sure what kind yet).

Usually I do some peas and ryegrass, the ryegrass doesn't do much except give my peas time to grow, and the doe love them.

This is the first year I will be doing oats but I have hunted them at friends places in the past, also first year for clover. Trying something new.

Comment

Oats. A few acres in a larger field.

Comment

Going with some white clover & gonna try the beets & greens mixture from whitetail institute. Has kale,turnips,radishes & sugar beets.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                      I had great luck with the turnips growing last year. They were huge haha! But I walked around and a deer or hog did not touch any part of them. Even after a freeze. And I mowed them down once to promote new growth.

I think I am moving on from them
                      My deer also refuse to eat their turnips.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
                        Thanks for the info. I'm deciding between Turner Fall Mix and a Harrison Oats. I will have wheat to my North and South so I'm looking at something different.
                        The good thing about the fall mix blend is there are numerous seeds that come up at different times. Putting something in your plots different from what they always see at your neighbors might increase your chances. Good luck.

Comment

Oats and Winter peas. Planning to seed weekend of September 23rd.

Comment

we plant the Justin seed mix in northern Collin county. its grows very well in our darker soil by the creek bottoms. may try a different brand this year if we can find something similar and closer to where I live/hunt. Juston is a far drive. we just got done spraying three weeks ago with gly. disced yesterday and will plant in two to three weeks. Don't plant to early or you may regret it.

Comment

10 acres of oats

Comment

clover

Comment

Working...
                                X