Do not be lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not be lost

There are situations where a person can get turned around in the outdoors and not know which way to go. Once I was in an 18 ft saltwater skiff in heavy fog between LA and Catalina Island. This was before cell phones. Luckily I had a compass mounted on my boat and was able to navigate to within earshot of long beach harbor entrance.

Just some precautions please add more.

1. Use a mapping app on your phone. Some are free.
    2. Carry a battery bank and charging cable.
    3. Your phone will still navigate in airplane mode and you will have longer battery life.
    4. Get a decent compass - I use Suunto
    5. Paper maps are a must if you are going into mountains.
    6. I most always spend some hours computer scouting any area I am going to.

I have been going solo into big country for many years so I am sure there are things I do that I do not even think about. Please add to the list if you have a different perspective.

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
    There are situations where a person can get turned around in the outdoors and not know which way to go. Once I was in an 18 ft saltwater skiff in heavy fog between LA and Catalina Island. This was before cell phones. Luckily I had a compass mounted on my boat and was able to navigate to within earshot of long beach harbor entrance.

3. Your phone will still navigate in airplane mode and you will have longer battery life.

I have been going solo into big country for many years so I am sure there are things I do that I do not even think about. Please add to the list if you have a different perspective.
    I believe you covered it well Sir. I would add:

Always have a secondary navigation type device especially if your phone is the primary. And always have a way to make a fire both to protect against the elements and to use as a signal.
    Last edited by Pedernal; 01-03-2021, 06:26 AM.

Comment

When all fails. SPOT , its a handy little device.

Comment

On my first Elk Hunt, the mother of the friend I was hunting made me a small survival kit that fit in a ziploc bag. Light stick, matches, cheap lighter, space blanket and a poncho. Also some firestarters made from dryer lint and old candles. I haven't hunted out west without since. Some of the stuff has been used and replaced but I would dream of hunting out there without it.

Comment

A good map..........
          A good compass............
          Learn to use both..........
          and of course, Jon B's, survival kit.................

The best survival tool you have..................
          is right between, your ears...............

I've never, been lost in the woods..............
          But, I was a might confused, for a couple weeks once............
          Daniel Boone...........

Comment

Would add a good blade, pistol and life straw to everything listed so far.
            Last edited by Jcjohnson; 01-03-2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post

Do you know of a good place to order paper maps? And what kind of maps are best for mountain areas?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
                Do you know of a good place to order paper maps? And what kind of maps are best for mountain areas?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Most of your federal agencies (BLM, USNF, etc) will have their maps to sell.
                Also, USGS - https://store.usgs.gov/maps

MyTopo will let you get a custom map of an area.
                Quickly order USGS Topographic Maps, MGRS maps, 1:50000/1:25,000, Aerial Maps, Game Management Unit Maps for hunting, and maps for popular hiking trails. View our vast collection of historical USGS topos and national park maps. Order Delorme Gazetteers, Falcon Guidebooks. Call 877-587-9004 with any questions.

For those that don't aren't sure about how to use a topo map and compass REI will hold seminars.

Comment

Keep your pack on. I once set my pack down to make a stalk. Headlamp, water, fire starter all in the pack. Not a good decision.

Comment

When I start start looking at the maps the ads pop up for printing. I prefer the water proof.

All the electronic GPS tools are awesome, but I always want an old magnetic compass and paper map in my pack for big country. And study the area you're going to hunt ahead of time.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Base - "layer" your survival tools, in case you misplace your pack or you have to bug out. Have the basic stuff on you or in your pockets (knife/fire starter/survival mirror/cordage). Have another layer of "stuff" in your load-bearing equipment/harness: flare/water purifier/emergency blanket/radio); have another layer in your pack: all the rest of the "stuff" you deem necessary.

Comment

Have an aerial picture of your hunting lease with a mileage scale on your phone. Learn the property/blind area that you hunt...like the fence lines, gates, water tanks, wind mills. If you have to get out of your blind, and you blind starts to get out of site. Slow down and start marking your path with what ever you can. I have two small lights that I use for running when it's dark. They have a white, red and blinking mode, which last about 10 hours(rechargeable USB). You can clip them on a tree and see them for a long way. I may buy a few more for my hunting bag.

Here's a little story for the lights. I shot an Axis buck this season and he ended up 120 yards past the feeder under a group of Live Oaks. When I found him it was near dark, and he was to big to drag. So, I turned on the light to the white blinking mode and clipped it on a small branch on the Live Oak. It made it easy to see two hours later when we returned with the UTV.

Comment

In

Comment

To be physically lost is a very upsetting venture...to be spiritually lost carry’s eternal ramifications. I am thankful that I once was lost but now am found.

Comment

A pack can keep your spine warn

Comment

Working...
                              X