No announcement yet.

Shooting trad gear with thick/puffy coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a light weight puffy coat and then wear it under your shirt or jacket for more warmth without being bulky.
    It's cold all the time while archery hunting up here and I am not very cold friendly. I wear a merino undershirt, fleece midlayer and a heavy wool shirt for an outer most days, wool vest over all if possible. Long arm guard is my friend.
    A wind blocking layer works great somewhere in your clothing, but you'll need some wool next to skin for when you sweat to stay warm.

Comment

I've run into the same issues but using a bib has really helped out this season by keeping the wind off of my waist and allowing me to lighten my jackets. Synthetics and wool are definitely preferred. Synthetics (Sitka) do a better job of wicking sweat and moisture, while wool will get wet but still warm.

My combination when temps get less then 45*: thick wool socks, long johns (top and bottom), regular outdoors pants, insulated bib, wool vest, Sitka Jetstream jacket, beanie, balaclava, and insulated hiking boots.

Comment

First lite base layer, fleece, plus vest.
        I pull the fleece up my shooting arm before I shoot.
        By pulling the arm up it loosens the shoulders.

Comment

Working...
        X