The infamous arrow question! (New Bow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The infamous arrow question! (New Bow)

I was very blessed to come across 2008 Black widow psa x 47@27. It was just sent back to widow for a refinish and now looks brand new. The older gentleman has hunted and killed many animals with the bow. He has a couple others and was kind to sell me this one with a heaping amount of 2020 aluminums, glue on heads, stringer, quiver, field points, inserts, etc. Plus share a bunch of stories in his 38 years of trad hunting! I have been looking for awhile and it was perfect timing! He sold me all this for 425.00.

With that being said the arrows he gave me are tuned great for the bow, but i wanna kinda go carbon and put a lighted nock on the backside.
    He told me gold tip 400's with a 100gr brass insert should do the trick.
    My question to y'all who have helped before, What arrow would you build for this bow? I'm excited to carry on the legacy of this bow.

How cool!
    I'm no help but good luck.

Comment

We'll need to know your exact draw length, you've given us the bow's rating but we need what you draw to. You can clip a clothes pin to the arrow on the outside of the riser. Draw to your anchor point and let down then measure from the throat of the nock to the clothes pin. Do this a few times and take the average to get your draw length. Then we can begin to confuse the heck out of you with suggestions of spine, length, point weights, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        We'll need to know your exact draw length, you've given us the bow's rating but we need what you draw to. You can clip a clothes pin to the arrow on the outside of the riser. Draw to your anchor point and let down then measure from the throat of the nock to the clothes pin. Do this a few times and take the average to get your draw length. Then we can begin to confuse the heck out of you with suggestions of spine, length, point weights, etc.
        When i did it for my grizzly is was 26 1/4-26 1/2.

Comment

The psa is a beyond center cut bow, mine likes wood, aluminum arrows or either carbon express or gold tip traditional and use the tuning system

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

3/16ths past center actually so fat arrows work very well with it.

Comment

I'm a fan of Beaman Centershot and Black Eagle Vintage shafts.
              You could run a 500 spine about 28" long with a 150 grain point and do okay.
              But really a 400 at 29 inches with 175 grains up front would probably make for a quieter bow and a tad better penetration.

Comment

Gold tip trad xt? 400’s with 100gr insert and 125gr head? Cut at 27 1/2? Planned on a lighted nock but will it stiffen it to much?

Comment

My PCHX loves 400 spine gold tip trads with 175 up front. It is 50@28 but I draw 29. They tune well at around 29.5-30”. For what it’s worth I played with the dynamic spine calculator at 3 Rivers until I got real close then tuned from there. I think it helped narrow it down quite a bit.

Good luck...that is a heckuva deal on that bow and accessories!

Comment

Do some bare shaft tuning to find the arrow that needs built

Comment

I’m trying to shoot some 500’s that I got a great deal on out of a 55# bow without any insert and 125 grain head. They are obviously too light in spine. I’d definitely go 400 spine if you are going to add an insert.

Comment

i have several bws that are a little heavier and just a little longer draw. typically I cook an arrow 28 in easton axis trad 400 with 50gn insert and 175 bh up front. If i was to cook this one i would go with same set up with 75 up front and if still over spined start lengthening the arrow as drt suggested, this will give you heavy quiet arrow with good penetration and easy to replicate. these bows are very forgiving and shoot lights out. you definitely have a killer on your hands good luck

Comment

If you call the folks at Black Widow and give them the serial number on the bow they can look up the bow specs. They'll give you an arrow recommendation based on the info you give them. I just went through this exercise with them. Bought some arrows from them and went to CCR last night and got bare shaft tuned. Now i've got 12 arrows to start shooting.

Those arrows sound like they are going to hit like sledge hammers.

Good luck with it all.

Comment

Working...
                          X