How long can seed last on soil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long on average will seed last in/on the soil without rain and no germination before it won't germinate at all?

In for this answer. Planting plots this week with no rain in sight.

Comment

Should be months
      At least that's how nature works

Comment

Probably highly dependent on the type of seed but I would guess most would be eaten by a rodent or bird before becoming inviable. Then if it gets cold before it rains, itll be too cold for them to germinate and they may rot.

Comment

It will be fine for a while. At this rate maybe Nov

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

In all honesty, it’s dependent on the type of seed, soil moisture, soil compaction, and temperature. I’ve seen wheat sit dormant for a month when dry planted and come up to a perfect stand, and I have seen cotton not come up at all due to cold temperatures and rain that compacts the soil.

As long as the seed doesn’t start imbibing moisture, it will stay viable for a decent amount of time.

Edit: what are you trying to plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Until the birds find it...

Comment

Originally posted by SoTXAg06 View Post
                In all honesty, it’s dependent on the type of seed, soil moisture, soil compaction, and temperature. I’ve seen wheat sit dormant for a month when dry planted and come up to a perfect stand, and I have seen cotton not come up at all due to cold temperatures and rain that compacts the soil.

As long as the seed doesn’t start imbibing moisture, it will stay viable for a decent amount of time.

Edit: what are you trying to plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Mostly wheat, oats and rye. Heavy on the rye.

Comment

About 10 days on wheat, oats, beans. Brassicas and clovers will last a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                    About 10 days on wheat, oats, beans. Brassicas and clovers will last a long time.
                    Well, hoping they last more than 10 days as there looks like some decent rain in the forecast next Monday and Tuesday.

Comment

My biggest fear is to get just enough rain to germinate the seed, then have a continuance of the drought. I'm waiting to plant until after some sub soil moisture is in place. At $22.50 a bag for seed, I can't afford to plant and hope. Watch the farmers in your area. When you see a lot of grain drills or no-till planters in the fields, then it might be the time to plant.

Comment

Y'all aint got no army worms up north? It came a light rain here and them things was out.

Comment

I gota go with the 10d answer..Between ants/weevils/birds/pigs/ they first in line...clovers /and turnip family have super small seed and generally last considerable longer/they generally naturally re-seed from year to year....
                          A couple Inches would be a blessing...good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                            Y'all aint got no army worms up north? It came a light rain here and them things was out.
                            Never have seen any army worms that I know of on my property.

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                              How long on average will seed last in/on the soil without rain and no germination before it won't germinate at all?
                              Depends on the seed.

Planting oats and rye grass in absolutely dry ground is ok. Just make sure it is completely dry, if there is any moisture it will sprout and then die.

I would not try this with wheat but it can be done. All the other plot seed bags you get off the wal mart shelf is probably ok, the small seeds that is.

I would love to plant my oat plots dry right now, but I have turkeys lots of them and they will clean me out if I don't get a rain on it within a week. All birds will be your enemy if you leave it in the soil very long.

Comment

Working...
                              X