Anywhere camera mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anywhere camera mount

I think I got this idea off here, but I can't recall. Anyhoo, I finally put it together and I thought I was going to use it for my son's camera but he's cheap and bought a camera that does not have a mounting bolt on it. You can only strap it. But, this is still an awesome idea!

4" lag eye screw
    2 1/2" eye bolt, 1/4" thread, and nut
    2" x 3/8" bolt with 3 flat washers, 1 lock washer and nut.

Probably goes without saying, but the lag screw goes into the tree. Rotate it and the eye bolt to get the camera where you want it. The 1/4" nut is used to tighten the camera in place after you put it on the eye bolt.

Notice - I used stainless steel because I didn't want rust to get to my camera. Yes, most cameras use brass nuts but just in case. I figured the extra cost was acceptable. Oops, my washers are galvanized but that's what I had.

I built these mounts for two of my cameras earlier this Spring. Love them! Makes positioning the cameras a breeze. I can't remember exactly, but I believe I have less than $10 in both mounts.

My lease buddy wants to build a couple for his cameras now...

Comment

I have made 4 or 5 of these and need that many more. Great idea!!

FWIW the ones I have in the field are just zinc plated and have zero signs of rust in 4 seasons.

Comment

I made a couple of these but used another 1/4-20 instead of lag and tapped a piece of pipe slid the pipe over a t post for a t post mount

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
          I made a couple of these but used another 1/4-20 instead of lag and tapped a piece of pipe slid the pipe over a t post for a t post mount
          Fantastic idea! Do you have a photo?

Comment

These are great. I’ve had mine for years. I drilled a hole in my t post and bolted it.
            Don’t remember where I got the idea.....

Comment

I weld the washers on so there are fewer moving parts. They work great.

Comment

Heck of an idea. Threw two together yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Oh, one thing I did to mine, was to use nylon lock-nuts on the main bolt. That way as I move the camera around to position it, it doesn't loosen up the bolt holding it all together.
                  Probably not anything you really have to worry about, but it's one less concern for me.

Comment

I was thinking about the lock nuts, too, but then I thought a lot of times i'm out in the field without a wrench, much less with 2 wrenches. You need a wrench the whole way to unscrew it but with lock washers I can use a variety of things to loosen it and then get the rest of it with my fingers.

Comment

I used regular bolts and just took a can of spray paint with me. I have them quick paint job and they are holding up well.

For the washer between the two eyebolts, I also put a rubber washer in there and hit helped grip a bit better and prevent them from slipping.

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      I have made 4 or 5 of these and need that many more. Great idea!!

FWIW the ones I have in the field are just zinc plated and have zero signs of rust in 4 seasons.

Comment

Swap the nuts for wing nuts, and then you can adjust it in the field without a wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          Swap the nuts for wing nuts, and then you can adjust it in the field without a wrench.
                          Yea wingnuts are the only way to go.

Comment

Oh Smack! Wing nuts!!

Comment

I use these. They're cheap and work great.

Sportsman's Guide carries top-quality discount Outdoor and Hunting Gear, Guns, Ammo, Fishing Supplies and more - all at great low prices!

There's a screw-in version that can be screwed into a tree or other piece of wood as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X