Looking for ideas on 6.5 Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for ideas on 6.5 Grendel

Have an itch to build a 6.5 Grendel. Looking for some ideas. Wanting to go light weight AR. I have a 308 but it’s a chunk to stalk with. It would be for pigs only with my thermal. So let’s see em! I’d also like to hear yalls experience with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaRue's kit is hard to beat for the price.

Comment

Grendel has done the job on every pig I have hit with it. My next one will be a 12" sbr. Last one was 20 and it **** lights out all the way to 1000, but kind d of cumbersome in a bling with a suppressor on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by futureagg View Post
        Have an itch to build a 6.5 Grendel. Looking for some ideas. Wanting to go light weight AR. I have a 308 but it’s a chunk to stalk with. It would be for pigs only with my thermal. So let’s see em! I’d also like to hear yalls experience with them

I was in the same boat. Have had various 6.5's in bolt guns for many years but the Grendel is new to me.

Bought a 12" PSA upper last year and just last week I finally ran a few rounds through it. Installed it on a SBR lower and with a couple rounds had it sighted in at 100yds, dialed in 9.7 moa and nailed a 8"round steel plate at 400yds. I forgot to bring a suppressor with me but the blast wasn't bad at all. Will probably build a F1 can for it in the future.
        This was using some Hornady 123gr SST ammo. I look forward to getting used to this round and capabilities.

Comment

Have been using the Grendel for a while, most of my shooting with it has been since I had a Boltaction put together from a CZ 527 before anyone was chambering for it in a boltaction. So far all I have shot with it are coyotes, hogs and deer. All have died within 30 yards of where they were when shot.

In the shorter barrels like 12 or 12.5 inches the 129gr Accubond Longrange bullet is e pensive but expands well down to 1400fps and reports are it is doing very well on game from the shorter guns. Most critters I have shot have been killed with 123gr A-Max and 123gr SST bullets from Hornady.

As I have gotten older and hunted with lots of different guns and calibers I have gravitated to smaller more efficient cartridges and the Grendel stacks up well for that.

With the Grendel I have taken game from 10 yards to 408 yards. No complaints

Comment

I bought one from Wilson Cambat and mounted a IRHunter Mark III on it. I really like it

Comment

I bought a PSA 12" 6.5 Grendel back earlier this year and made a pistol and it is the best shooting AR I own. I run either a Dead Air Sandman TI or a SliencerCo Omega on it and it's awesome. Short, light weight and packs a bunch for hogs.

Jason

Comment

6.5 Grendel AR

My favorite AR for a while now. Anderson lower, Radical upper, Nikon scope, magpul furniture, Leupold base/rings.

Shoots "lights out" and here is also my 1st Buck kill with it @160+- yards.

One shot heart/lung, ran about 20 yards.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                  My favorite AR for a while now. Anderson lower, Radical upper, Nikon scope, magpul furniture, Leupold base/rings.
                  Beautiful gun, but I think you mounted your scope base backwards, just a heads up.

To the OP, if you are going for a lightweight Grendel build, DO NOT go with a 20 inch barrel like I did, it's pretty heavy.

Comment

Here is the one I just built. Have not gotten the chance to play with it yet though. It’s compact, light and gonna be fun on some piggies. 15.5” from bolt face to end of barrel and so much of a difference than my 20” .223 RRA coyote rife.

12.5” Ballistic Advantage type 2
                    Monster type 2 bolt
                    SBA3 Brace
                    SOTA upper and lower
                    ALG single stage Combat trigger (the $70 one)
                    SI Strike Rail 13”
                    Magpul K2+ grip
                    Milspec LPK
                    E-lander mag (17rd I believe)
                    Hera arms Gen 2 linear Comp
                    SigSauer Whiskey3 3-9x50 with Ill. Quad Plex

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                      Beautiful gun, but I think you mounted your scope base backwards, just a heads up.

To the OP, if you are going for a lightweight Grendel build, DO NOT go with a 20 inch barrel like I did, it's pretty heavy.
                      Did it this way on purpose, works great and was a better eye relief for me. Like most, I sight in before each years hunt and then check ever so often to make sure it's on...never a problem.

Comment

12" or 12.5" is perfect for night hog hunting especially if you are running it suppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post

Definitely won’t. I’m trying to decide if pistol or 16” barrel would be the best.

Comment

I went with a Larue UU kit w/ 10" mlok handguard and then switched barrels to an Alexander Arms 11". I'll try to remember to post a picture later. It's my favorite SBR.

Edit, found one:
                            Last edited by ahlongslide; 09-17-2019, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                              Did it this way on purpose, works great and was a better eye relief for me. Like most, I sight in before each years hunt and then check ever so often to make sure it's on...never a problem.
                              All good, just wanted to point it out to you.

I really like my Grendel, and its my go-to hog/deer gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X