itunes gift card scams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

itunes gift card scams?

a family member moved into a newly purchased house last week in central Texas that they bought from an elderly couple. A couple of days after moving in he calls me and says they just found the weirdest thing in one of the bathroom cabinets... a couple of large bags completely filled with hundreds and hundreds of iTunes gift cards including all of the receipts for when they were purchased. Also in the bags was an empty envelope with a "US Treasury" stamp on the front. He estimated $20-30k worth of the gift cards all purchased bw Oct-Dec of last year and all purchased within about a 1 hour radius of the town where they lived(I don't believe there was anywhere in that town that sold the cards). They were literally driving all over the place buying these cards almost every day for a couple of months. We checked a handful of them and they were all fully redeemed already.

I did some googling and it looks like there are scams where people request money transfers in iTunes gift cards including some claiming to be from the IRS/US treasury. Anyone ever heard of this or had family who was victim of something like this? It's very sad to think that the elderly couple who lived there may have been scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars.
Working...
X