Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #51
6.5CM
Eight Point

Hunt In: Starr County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
If they are head down eating, the shoulder forms a point to the best place to aim

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Can you give me some details about that rifle? Itís a nice looking rig
6.5CM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #52
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5CM View Post
Can you give me some details about that rifle? Itís a nice looking rig
POF P-308 20" W/ a Vortex Razor HD 5-25 gen 1 and a Surefire SOCOM762RC with a Rifles Only HAD suppressor Cover

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM   #53
DocHolliday
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Look at mine again Doc, there's no brain left, you're looking at the exit side. I should have mentioned I don't take head shots over 50ish yards. I like the neck roast and prefer not to destroy it if i can when I'm getting boom stick meat. But let's face it a carbon injection through the boiler room is more fun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Youíre right, I see the bullet path up higher between the ear and eye.

I saw a deer that had been wounded in the jaw once. Never gotten rid of that image in my head.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:34 AM   #54
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Youíre right, I see the bullet path up higher between the ear and eye.

I saw a deer that had been wounded in the jaw once. Never gotten rid of that image in my head.

Yea, that's a bad deal, but so is one that has it guts hanging out steppin' on them as they walk... A bad shot is a bad shot no matter where it is. I never recommend anyone take a shot at anything that is not one they have confidence in. Personally, I don't body shoot any deer or hogs when I'm meat hunting... Last year was my first year since 1995 to shoot a deer with a gun... been strictly bow for that period up until last year, but the 4 deer I shot last year were neck and head shots between 20 and 250 yards.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #55
-HIC-
Ten Point

Hunt In: Willow City & Junction

I will not tell a grown man where to shoot a deer. However, I will tell you that I have seen a deer with no Jaw after a father told his soon to shoot it just below the head. That kid does not hunt anymore. It took us a long time to find that deer and put it down.
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #56
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

That's when I quit head shots...went to pick up a hunting buddy & all I found was a hand full of teeth & jaw bones. He's a good shot / hunter too but that head can move fast while you are squeezing down. I never want to see that again either. Hideous death.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #57
AlwaysGigEm
Four Point

Hunt In: Goldthwaite, D'Hanis, Kansas

I got into neck shots about 5 years ago. I hunt very small property and shooting neck means I don't have to do any tracking at all, which is something I prefer not to do during rifle season. My maximum shot length is 62 yards with a .223 single shot break over NEF. One shot, one kill. I won't take it unless I am confident that it will be a clean shot. I've passed on many, many deer because they just wouldn't calm down or be still enough for me to pull on their neck. With that said, I've never suggested that anyone should take a neck shot. The pros are their just as much as the cons. You have to do what you feel is best for you in the end.
AlwaysGigEm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM   #58
haas0311
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Floresville and anywhere invited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI View Post
I think you're over-analyzing it. If you have a "hunting rifle" and you hit the neck you'll be good.

Don't graze or hit the edges, hit the center where you know there are a lot of blood vessels and bone.

Here you go, these are my "Go To" spots:

https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/education...aking-the-shot
I shot a spike buck when I was around 13 years old and I hit him square in the white patch of his neck head on. The buck rolled over twice and got up and took off. It looked like a murder scene at the point of impact. When we tracked him about 2 hours later, I was going to put the finishing shot on him but a noise scared him off and he ran like he had never been shot.

Its not if you have a rifle, its if you have enough rifle to plow through the hide/muscle/bone and on that day, I didn't. The only thing I can think is that my little .222 was deflected by something and it veered off causing me to miss any vital blood vessels or bone. I know I pierced his trachea because thats how we found him, we heard him breathing. I firmly believe if I had shot him with anything bigger, he'd of been in the ice chest.
haas0311 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top