Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let’s talk bullet performance at close range.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let’s talk bullet performance at close range.

Have any of you fond a bulletin that consistently performs well inside 100yrds? Inside 50yrds?

I just purchased a .308 win with a 20” 1:10 twist barrel. I am considering using outfitter ammo by Hornady with the 165gr GMX bullet. I will take 99% of my animals inside if 100yrds. It’s not uncommon to take shots at 30-50yrds. Should I be concerned about the GMX’s performance at these close ranges? Mainly concerned of the bullet not expanding at those high velocities and light skinned game. Will this bullet perform well for my needs or do you recommend something different?

I’m worried about lead bullets fragmenting and monolithic not expanding. Can someone explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven’t used the GMX but the 308 Winchester 150grain Deer season XP is a nasty round for shorter distances.
    My daughter, wife and I all use this round with all shots being less than 100 yard or so yards. It’s a deer dropper. They just don’t go anywhere after being hit from it....Impressive wound damage and extremely accurate, from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
      I haven’t used the GMX but the 308 Winchester 150grain Deer season XP is a nasty round for shorter distances.
      My daughter, wife and I all use this round with all shots being less than 100 yard or so yards. It’s a deer dropper. They just don’t go anywhere after being hit from it....Impressive wound damage and extremely accurate, from my experience.

I shot them downrange yesterday. I think I need something heavier. I couldn’t get them to group well. I still have about 12rds and will try again.

Comment

Remington cor lokt, hornady interlock, serria gameking. With a 308 any 150 grain cup and core should work just fine. Not only inside 100 but out to 400 or so yards as well. People really tend to overthink bullets. If you are not long ranging (400 plus) or shooting a magnum, a standard bullet is all you need

Comment

I've been using the Hornady SST which is more of a conventional bullet out of a 16" tube with good results...the 308 isn't a speed demon & imo you don't need the top shelf bonded & solid coppers unless you go over 3000fps. The conventional bullets will actually perform better so I would shoot whatever your 308 prints best.

Comment

Bullets are designed to open at high velocities, so I don’t think you should be worried about them not expanding at close ranges. Some magnum 30cal cartridges are traveling faster at 100yrds than the 308 travels at 50. I would be worried more about over expansion at close ranges, shouldn’t be a problem with the gmx.

Comment

a nosler partition or a speer gold dot would be a good option. Youll have the speed to open anything but ive seen that alot of lead free bullets dont have the same knock down as cup and core do. A bonded bullet or a partition will do great

Comment

Remington cor lokt, hornady interlock, serria gameking. With a 308 any 150 grain cup and core should work just fine. Not only inside 100 but out to 400 or so yards as well. People really tend to overthink bullets. If you are not long ranging (400 plus) or shooting a magnum, a standard bullet is all you need[/QUOTE]

This right here is what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple 000 Buck View Post
                  Remington cor lokt, hornady interlock, serria gameking. With a 308 any 150 grain cup and core should work just fine. Not only inside 100 but out to 400 or so yards as well. People really tend to overthink bullets. If you are not long ranging (400 plus) or shooting a magnum, a standard bullet is all you need
                  This right here is what you need.[/QUOTE]

over think is correct....Hit them in correct spot is Key.... which is most peoples problem not bullet/caliber/range...Basically you don't want a Bullet designed for Varmits or Really big game or Armor Piercing (we talking Texas deer)

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                    Bullets are designed to open at high velocities, so I don’t think you should be worried about them not expanding at close ranges. Some magnum 30cal cartridges are traveling faster at 100yrds than the 308 travels at 50. I would be worried more about over expansion at close ranges, shouldn’t be a problem with the gmx.
                    This. ^^

Comment

I wouldn't be looking at a monolithic bullet for those ranges. Th GMX is tough and will probably sail through with less expansion and damage than an SST or some similar soft point similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                        Bullets are designed to open in a range of velocity and tissue type, not just more is better.

Good reading from Chuck Hawks.
                        "If an expanding bullet is traveling too fast at impact, and especially if the bullet hits a large, hard bone, it may expand so violently that its penetration ceases before it reaches the animal's vital organs. This creates a large and very painful surface wound, but less than immediately lethal damage. Once again, the animal is likely to endure great suffering and travel a considerable distance before it succumbs to its wound or is pulled down by a predator."

Comment

Meltingfeather you are absolutely correct. The way I read the op’s post he was concerned with the bullet failing to expand due to close range shots. I have no experience with this bullet or the way it performs. This being said, I doubt that at 308 velocity at any range would be faster than the bullet is designed for.

Comment

I used to shoot the GMX.
                            It grouped ok.but Ididn't like the little hole in little hole out.

I switched to 150 grain Remington Cor Lokt.

I shot a pig inside 70 yds 2 weeks ago. Had a ¾" exit hole.

Shot a buck Christmas time.

No exit. Dropped in it's tracks.
                            I recovered bullet under the skin in front of the offside shoulder

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for You and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor, but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Your solid copper bullets are going to have a small exit & I have a love / hate relationship with the Triple shok in my 280ai...never had a deer go more than 20yds, but the blood trail is either fantastic or horrible but I will always get an exit. I'm pushing 120's at 3400.

Again, the 308 is going to perform better with the conventional bullets & her lower muzzle velocity. Why take a bullet made to shoot for magnums with a muzzle velocity under 3000?? This is where conventional bullets shine in regards to our Tx whitetail. Now if you are going to shoot big hogs in the shoulder with the 308, then I would choose a tougher bonded / solid.

Comment

Working...
                              X