Fooling the White tail Nose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
    Bowhunt in a sealed up blind. Krivoman, maverick type blind. It’s the most effective thing I’ve seen from a bowhunting standpoint.
    Word....^^^^^

IMO...This is an extremely highly effective method for killing mature bucks. By far my favorite way to hunt. I just hunt with one window open.

Comment

best answer I saw were 35 ft up tree/Correct wind/and Thermals

Comment

Originally posted by LovinTxHuntin View Post
        I'm just curious if any of y'all think you have it figured out. I'd love to hear from you.
        I don't know that anyone has it completely figured out. The wind is your friend and your enemy, treat it as such. Thermals are even more important. The 2 are different.

Deer will use the wind/thermals to their advantage, not necessarily in their face all the time. Depends on what they are doing and what they want to do. When deer go to bed or feed at feeders they will approach it from down wind. When deer feed(browsing, acorns, not feeders) they will do so, walking with the wind, it protects their backside. Place your stands or hunt accordingly.

Thermals are dictated by temperature. Air will be forced to move based up on temp. Air that is close to a creekbottom, moving water, a draw, cooler place, air will be pulled down. If you place your stand close, your scent will be pulled into the bottom or downstream with the water movement, that can be used for and against you. Morning and evening will also influence thermals.

Hope this helps. Understand, not trying to be a know it all, just giving a couple of tips. The wind, it really is a blessing and a curse.
        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 01-27-2020, 07:07 PM.

Comment

For everyone saying, hunt the wind, I understand what you’re saying and I do that too. Where I hunt in west Texas I can get the wind right for the corn in front of me, but what about the 15 deer that are coming in from behind me?

I always get the wind right for the corn/trail, but where deer numbers are High and there isn’t a lot of terrain change to prevent deer movement certain ways, it’s really almost impossible to “play the wind,” due to the deer coming in from every direction.
          Get off the corn! Put it out if you want and hunt them coming to it. They will be moving in a direction instead of a circle to check it for safety.... and often in better shooting light

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
            I'm still trying to figure out how showering a month ahead of time helps..lol
            Lol it's just a confidence thing I guess for me. I know for a fact that it's better than showering with Irish Spring during hunting season. And you know that if you can smell cigarette smoke in people's hair, the deer can **** sure smell it. I don't know how long scent molecules last on body hair, but i'm figuring that showering a month early with scent free body wash remedies that concern.... lol hunters will do crazy things when it comes to big deer and getting every advantage they can, no matter how small.

Comment

Every deer is different and each state/area/property are different.

I've hunted whitetail in North/East/West/South/Central/Panhandle, TX as well as OK, KS, AR, IA, MI and Canada.

There are basic bowhunting rules that I abide by but they are not universal. I've been very successful in every place I've hunted and I've never used vanilla. Sorry to break that news to some on here. lol.

Just use the basic rules. Don't over think it.
              Last edited by asu-indian; 01-27-2020, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I'm in the camp of it depends on where you hunt. Each place is different. If your place has lots of human movement, human scent or ATV traffic associated with the deer being pushed or run around they will learn that as a danger sign and be on alert.

Our deer associate us humans and our smells and the mules with the smell of corn and food. Neither us nor the mules are a fear or danger for the deer. We corn every time we go any where. Filling feeders, driving around, going to work on something. When we go to a stand we drive around the pen and spin corn. We park the mules right by the stands. Spin corn there too. Deer will come eat out of the mules right by the stands. The deer will run to us in some instances.
                I do take a shower with a non scent soap and put my clothes in an old corn sack. We make corn a priority. Sounds stupid but it works for us.
                Oh and I forgot. If your pumper has a white truck and is there daily. You should get a white truck too! I have thought about painting my mule white.
                Last edited by Abcdj; 01-27-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Get off the corn! Put it out if you want and hunt them coming to it. They will be moving in a direction instead of a circle to check it for safety.... and often in better shooting light
                  Not hunting corn in West Texas would be almost all but possible. Lol, though I see what you’re saying.

Comment

I exclusively hunt the wind. I’ll ozone wash my clothes after a 3-4 day hunt, but nothing in the interim.

I won’t hunt a spot if it is even marginal. Some spots have a wider leeway, others need a perfectly consistent direction at 10mph or above to work...

It helps that I don’t hunt food sources, and instead hunt bedding and pinch points. That typically leads to less approach directions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not hunting corn in West Texas would be almost all but possible. Lol, though I see what you’re saying.
                      I’ve done it. Hunt corn.... without hunting the corn. Get 2-300 yards from it vs 15-20 yards. It’s amazing how many deer you will catch checking those feeders that would bust you and move on and you would never know they were there. They don’t always blow

Comment

Pea gravel. Deer love the smell of pea gravel.

Comment

I used to get busted all the time. Now I use my blinds and ozonics togther and it has changed what I can get away with. Just have to be smart and make sure you do your part before hunt to stay clean and non stinky.

Comment

The smell of Coors Light and Copenhagen seems to work as a good cover scent.

Comment

Working...
                            X