Elderly parents and Life Alert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elderly parents and Life Alert?

My folks are both 86. You guys with older folks and experiences with any of the quick emergency response companies out there. I would like to hear your opinions on the goods and bad. I have looked at several options. We probably need both the home and mobile type plan. Probably need it for both parents.
    Thanks for any ideas.

Hoping somebody has some info. I'm in a similar situation with parents 86 and 88 and need to get them something. Thanks!

Comment

List ALL of their medicines, keep in a pill bottle in the freezer.

Comment

My mom passed away in 2012 , we had a life alert for her at home. I don’t think the mobile ones were available then. I have a nephew that’s a occupational therapist and he recommended that instead of getting the alert button on a necklace get one that is worn on the wrist like a watch. He knew of several instances where the person had fallen and couldn’t find the button because it had moved around to their back of them and they couldn’t find it.

One thing we didn’t count on was just because your parents have one doesn’t mean they will wear it. My mom was generally easy to get to do things where her health was concerned but she was pretty obstinate when it came to wearing the call button.
        Last edited by Marion; 01-25-2020, 08:38 PM.

Comment

My mom is 93. She fell and broke her hip but would not press her button because she "didn't want to bother anyone." I think it was more that she knew she would have surgery. Today she lives in an assisted living center and frequently takes her alert button device off. She has fallen twice there and was found when staff did a "well check" visit in the middle of the night.

All this to say it makes no difference why you use if your parents are like my mom.

Comment

Got my Grandmother one several years ago. We tested it & it worked, but doesn't do her any good since she doesn't wear it. She at least keeps her cell phone in her wheel chair at all times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FamousAmos View Post
              My mom is 93. She fell and broke her hip but would not press her button because she "didn't want to bother anyone." I think it was more that she knew she would have surgery. Today she lives in an assisted living center and frequently takes her alert button device off. She has fallen twice there and was found when staff did a "well check" visit in the middle of the night.

All this to say it makes no difference why you use if your parents are like my mom.
              God bless your mom.
              you know that back in her day the only person that they relied on was theirself, they didn't tweet and youtube every aspect of their life for the whole world to see. in other words, they were more private about their lives.
              and they didn't complain.
              they had some good qualities that we could all use, now more than ever.IMO

Comment

Your vitality at 80+ is dependent on the choices you make today. Barring some unforeseen traumatic event, it’s a priority in my life to never have to be the geriatric that needs an alerting device.
                Last edited by TwoHighways; 01-26-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Some things I never considered.

Comment

My stepmother has used her's three times. All three were life or death. I don't know which it was but it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                      Your vitality at 80+ is dependent on the choices you make today. Barring some unforeseen traumatic event, it’s a priority in my life to never have to be the geriatric that needs an alerting device.
                      Unless you are considering early suicide or pre-planned assisted living,, genetics will catch up with you in the end. You may have more vitality longer, but there's nothing availabe to us at this point medically to avoid that.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                        Thanks for the comments. Some things I never considered.
                        It's a condition of their independence. Having been down this road 4 times before, you become the parent. You can't force them to wear it, but either you decide it is their life and deal with the consequences or put your foot down. It depends on the parent. Nothing, in my view is worth causing a rift you may regret for the rest of your life. Whenever one of our parents said they were not going to a nursing home at some point, I always told them they wouldn't have a choice at some point. I didn't want to be in a position where they were angry at me when the time came. They always knew there was a point when someone else would have to help with care. Silence on those statements leads to false expectations and anymosity. Good luck!

Comment

And, sorry to intrude on your topic, but the best lesson I've learned from older parents and clients with older parents is to set down and have a frank discussion about funerals. I'm not talking about where, I'm talking about what. Who writes the obituary. Is it already written. Do they want a funeral. Is there anyone we should notify directly. What newspapers need to be notified. Is there anyone they don't want notified. What music do they want. Do they want an open casket or not. We assume when they plan for burial these questions have been answered, but many times they haven't or they're outdated. This is harder on daughters than sons, usually. So if you want to do your wife a big favor, get this in line for her parents. If there's going to be a video, go ahead and get it done. My dad said he didn't want a funeral, but you have to do something. People don't know how to react otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                            Good luck with that! Wierd response but I did ask for remarks.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                              Unless you are considering early suicide or pre-planned assisted living,, genetics will catch up with you in the end. You may have more vitality longer, but there's nothing availabe to us at this point medically to avoid that.
                              We all die eventually, but I have absolutely no reason to believe that we cannot optimize our Healthspan to remain independent/functional until we are acutely dying.

Comment

Working...
                              X