Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Request for the LBJ Hunters - Please don't shoot my Dad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for the LBJ Hunters - Please don't shoot my Dad!

Howdy All,

If you expect to read a post from PETA, you will be disappointed.

I grew up in Wise County, and my granddad worked for the Forest Service, back in the '70s. LBJ was our local playground, back then. For at least the last ten years, my dad has leased grazing rights to LBJ, about 6 miles north of Alvord. We also own land out there. We are a bunch of hunters, too.

I am in an odd position. I understand all the different positions that folks have about access to public land. Regardless, please don't shoot my Dad, when he is checking his cows on LBJ

My dad is 70 years old, and drives a white, '97 F-250. He checks his cows on LBJ about 2-3 times a week, every week of the year. He tries to keep out during the early part of the season, but he still has to check the cows. If you see him, say Hello. WARNING - My Dad will talk your arm off.

Any way, here are a few reasons NOT to shoot my Dad:

1. He is old and tough. Won't taste good, no matter how you marinade him.

2. He may know the part of LBJ you are hunting, better than you. Ask him some questions. [See warning above]

3. My dad is out there making sure his cows are in the right place. They are not allowed to roam all over a section of LBJ. That is better for the hunters.

4. The deer have seen that worn out '97 F-250 too many times to be afraid of it.

I am not trying to start a war, here. The only reason I am willing to bring this up on TBH, is that a lot TBH members seem to be interested in the caretaking of LBJ. Something you have in common with my family, and my Dad.

With that said, I may step on some hunter's toes, but here are a couple of things that hunters can do to help keep my Dad out of there way.

1. Keep track of where and what cows you see. Tell my dad, and he may not even drive in.

2. Close any gate you open. My Dad has to keep the cows in certain areas. If gates are left open, the cows start roaming, then we have to come in to move them out.

Again, I am not trying to start a war on this forum. Just don't shoot my Dad, please.
    Thanks,
    Randy

Apprecaite randy I LOVE BEEF BEEF is whats for dinner

Comment

Lbj

I'll be camping at Black Creek Lake for the next few days. Yall look for my VW bus and stop on in to the fire and say 'Hey'.

Comment

decent post

Comment

I wonder how many folks commenting on this have actually hunted in, driven through or can even find LBJ on a map?

Oh, sorry...wrong thread.

Great post, Randy. I've often wondered who really owns all that land and what involvement they still have in the everyday upkeep of the land. Any idea who OWNS the land he leases for grazing?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry View Post
            I've often wondered who really owns all that land and what involvement they still have in the everyday upkeep of the land. Any idea who OWNS the land he leases for grazing?
            You own the land!!!

LBJ is public property. The US Government owns it. I think most of it was purchased or taken over from private landowners back around the time of the Dust Bowl, because soil erosion was about to destroy the country side. LBJ was established as a soil conservation program, and that is still a key element of its purpose.

Ranchers can lease grazing rights to sections of LBJ, at a relatively cheap price. Cattle grazing is part of the conservation strategy, so there are rules on how many cattle can be run on a section. In fact, the lease requires a minimum/maximum number of cattle on the lease, and the lease requires a minimum/maximum days of grazing, that must be spread across various parts of the lease.

So, even though the lease cost is cheap, it does require extra work to manage the grazing. If you don't follow the rules, you lose the lease.

Ask my dad, if you see him. He can explain it better than me

Randy

Comment

I will be out there Thursday or Friday evening Barn I will try to stop by and see ya.

Comment

Well Stated

Planomustang,

I couldn't have said it better myself. The public owns a unique natural resource at the LBJ N.G. Very little public land in N. Texas.

Comment

Planomustang,
                  Thanks for the cover scent from your Dads cows!!! What section is he on? I will keep a eye out for him.

Comment

Originally posted by NTex View Post
                    Planomustang,
                    Thanks for the cover scent from your Dads cows!!! What section is he on? I will keep a eye out for him.
                    You can get better cover scent from the dairy farms

I talked to Dad, tonight. He plans on moving his cows from Area 14 to Area 16, on Thursday. He also has grazing rights to Area 13, 26, and 76. I don't know how good the hunting is in those spots, but we see lot's of folks out there in the early season. Area 14 is behind the old Forest Service Work station, so he should be out of your way. He knows that Saturday is opening day for Bow Hunter's.

Randy

Comment

Sept 27th is opening day?

Comment

Originally posted by quickstrike View Post
                        Sept 27th is opening day?
                        Yikes!! I was thinking Saturday was opening day, since I can't hunt until then.

I will give my dad a call.

rk

Comment

I was like sweet I get to go early I was pretty sure opening day is monday Sept. 29th

Comment

Holy confusion, Batman!!!

Sat. is the 27th, not Thursday. What calendar was I thinking about.

rk

Comment

LOL it is all good you kinda got my hopes up though I was like holy cow 2 days till opening day I had to double check the opening date just to make sure I knew it was too good to be true :P Good Luck Out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X