Colorado, Unit 62, 3rd Season Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado, Unit 62, 3rd Season Mule Deer

Looking for advice, tips, if anyone has drawn or hunted this area.
    We are 3rd season, Early November. I have found some info on-the-line but looking to see if anyone from TBH has experience in that area.

Thanks

Bump for fun

Comment

Im sorry, i wish i could help. but best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
        Bump for fun

Do you have a general area picked out? Is it your first time in 62? How do you feel about packing in 3 or 4 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
          Do you have a general area picked out? Is it your first time in 62? How do you feel about packing in 3 or 4 miles?

First time hunting in 62 and Colorado.
          We don’t have a set spot picked out yet, we are making a trip here in about a month to scout out as much as we can. Looking to stick towards the divide rd.
          I feel comfortable packing out. We will be in a team of 2. If you have a location for us to check out I would be willing to put up with the pain!

Comment

Your gonna see alot of orange. This is one of the most heavily hunted units in the state. Theres some big ones in there though. Good luck. I would try and get away from the divide as far as you can. That road is like an interstate of atvs during the season.

Comment

Pm’ed you.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                Your gonna see alot of orange. This is one of the most heavily hunted units in the state. Theres some big ones in there though. Good luck. I would try and get away from the divide as far as you can. That road is like an interstate of atvs during the season.

That’s what I am finding about divide rd. We are going up in about a month to get a feel for the area.

Comment

Join, or at least follow, hunttalk forums. Search on there for unit 62. That forum has guys who have hunted elk, sheep, moose, and deer more hours than I have been alive.

If you really want to start scouting, start by desk scouting. Watch the Randy Newberg desk scouting video's. He will give you more tips and tricks, and your mind will be blown as to what is online that can help you narrow your search within the unit. For example, the state of Colorado has a website that shows various species winter ranges, summer ranges, migratory corridors, etc....his video's will point you to that stuff.

Call the local biologist, and even the ranger station. Those guys will have more info for you if you ask questions right. Gohunt has a story on how to ask the correct questions from a biologist.

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/d...ng-a-biologist

Finally, don't ask questions like "what are some tips/tricks/places to check out". No one ever gives those out, and it comes across as lazy to guys and gals who put in the desk scouting/field scouting time, and they will be less likely to share anything with you. What specifically do you want to know?

I'm not trying to be a ****, but you will only get responses that are generally correct, like "there is lots of orange" or "there is not a lot of orange if you want to pack way in". Those two statements contradict each other, and do not help you very much in picking a spot to hunt.

Good luck this fall!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    Good luck this fall!

I completely agree with your points.
                    I have been desk scouting for hours a day. My google earth has many pins at this point. I have also tracked migratory patterns and found the resource map you mentioned. Which has helped tremendously.
                    I am sure that we will have a large learners curve with things that you can only learn in the field.
                    I am also sure that I will have more specific questions when the hunt gets closer.

Comment

I am planning a hunt there in September (archery elk). My 1st hunt in that area. I will let you know what I learn. Hopefully, have photos of what to look for .

Comment

Guess y’all have seen reports of the of the Bull Draw Fire. Big section of divide road is closed. From Windy Pt west. I think it was 17 miles. Fire burning in 61. I’m leaving a week from today. 8/22/18
                        Hopefully it’s under control by then, not holding my breath. If road is still closed will have to find a new honey hole or sneak in from the back side.

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
                          Guess y’all have seen reports of the of the Bull Draw Fire. Big section of divide road is closed. From Windy Pt west. I think it was 17 miles. Fire burning in 61. I’m leaving a week from today. 8/22/18
                          Hopefully it’s under control by then, not holding my breath. If road is still closed will have to find a new honey hole or sneak in from the back side.

It's 19% contained as of now. I was out scouting earlier this summer when another section of Colorado was on fire. The main road was shut down, however it was only to get equipment/men in. On the way home, we were able to use the same road, pretty awesome watching those guys work. Hopefully it's the same situation for you, but I know at a certain point, the public land get shut down.

Hope your hunt works out!

Comment

I hate to hear about the fire.
                            Good luck with the scout. We had a great experience when we went a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
                              I hate to hear about the fire.
                              Good luck with the scout. We had a great experience when we went a few weeks ago.

No scouting this trip. This is the real deal. I’ll call Monday and check on road closures and an update. Right now only plans that have changed is camp location. I’ll be in touch later next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X