Hagerman Hunting Program- Seeking Public Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagerman Hunting Program- Seeking Public Comments

RGB sent this link over to me, link and announcement below and note the short response time (Friday 5 October 2018).

I had heard some of this earlier this year, a lot of folks have seen the plan to
    move the drawing to TPWD, the other I thought was just talk. I am surprised they are accepting comments, mine are ready for tomorrows mail run.

I would encourage all you guys, and gals that have time invested in Hagerman to submit some type of response. My hope is that more hunters respond than the anti-hunters.

The modified plan will propose working with Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) to process applications for refuge white-tailed deer, wild turkey, and feral hog hunts; modifying methods of take for deer and turkey hunts; modifying areas and dates open to rabbit, squirrel, and dove hunting, and opening the Nocona Unit in Montague County to hunting as per TPWD regulations.

The public is invited to submit comments and information they wish to have considered during the hunt plan revision.

The purpose of the Hunt Plan modification is to update existing plans that were prepared in 1970 for dove, squirrel, and rabbit; 1982 for white-tailed deer (amended in 1991); and 2012 for feral hog and wild turkey. The proposed plan would include entering into an agreement with TPWD to accept applications through their on-line only Drawn Hunts system and make selections using loyalty points; allowing the use of crossbows in alignment with State of Texas regulations for archery hunting; expanding the season and units available for upland game hunting; and opening the 822-acre Nocona Unit of Hagerman NWR (Montague County, TX) to limited hunting of white-tailed deer, wild turkey, feral hog, mourning dove, rabbit, and squirrel through an agreement with TPWD.

Comments will be accepted until October 5, 2018, and incorporated into the plan to the extent practicable. The Draft Hunt Plan documents, once completed, will be provided to the public for further review and comment.

The public is encouraged to provide input by writing to: Refuge Manager, Hagerman National Wildlife Refuge, 6465 Refuge Road, Sherman, Texas 75092. To ensure your comments are included in this process, they must be delivered to the refuge in person, or sent by mail and postmarked by October 5, 2018. Please note “Refuge Hunt Comments” on the submitted documents. Comments will not be accepted by fax or email.

For questions, please contact the Refuge Headquarters at (903) 786-2826.

What does "make selections using loyalty points" mean? Is it going to stay the same way it is now or convert to the way TPWD does their drawings with perference points?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
      What does "make selections using loyalty points" mean? Is it going to stay the same way it is now or convert to the way TPWD does their drawings with preference points?
      No clue Killer, that is what is important about the comment period and hopefully public town-hall at the Hagerman HQ with their staff and TPWD staff.

Comment

Thanks for posting Doug.

Comment

How does TPWD do their preference points? I've never applied for TWPD. Have applied at Hag twice now.

Comment

YW, JJ.

I don't know how TPWD works their points, I do know how Hagerman has, that is just one of my concerns.

Comment

You should post this same thread with the same title in The Campfire forum Razorback. Some of the folk who hunt the H don't bother with coming to the Public forums here.

Comment

Yeah TG, thought about it, there are a couple of posts in this years Segment hunts mentioning this thread, and if it stays at the top it will be visible on the home page.
                Last edited by Razorback01; 09-25-2018, 05:29 PM. Reason: home page

Comment

The tpwd “loyalty” points are just your name in the hat again. Not a true preference point system like it is now. If they switch to that it will be luck of the draw with a LOT more applicants.
                  Last edited by Etxnoodler; 09-25-2018, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Early Wednesday bump.

Comment

How does the Hagerman preference/loyalty point system work?? I am under the impression that the TPWD system uses each point as an additional chance . Stated differently, your name in added to the raffle/draw pool one additional time per point to your credit.

I understand the people now hunting Hagerman don't want to make the "pool of names" applying for the hunt larger thereby decreasing their odds of selection but if it's public land that is open to hunting than everyone should have a simple and equal opportunity to apply. I am sure I will get significant push back on my opinion but it is what it is.

Comment

If they switch to the TPWD new system you will likely never draw a hunt at the H again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          How does the Hagerman preference/loyalty point system work?? I am under the impression that the TPWD system uses each point as an additional chance . Stated differently, your name in added to the raffle/draw pool one additional time per point to your credit.

I understand the people now hunting Hagerman don't want to make the "pool of names" applying for the hunt larger thereby decreasing their odds of selection but if it's public land that is open to hunting than everyone should have a simple and equal opportunity to apply. I am sure I will get significant push back on my opinion but it is what it is.
                          It is currently an equal opportunity to apply now and has been for at least 10 years. Announced publicly on the WWW, so I don't understand what the move to TPWD gains in that respect, except lining the states pocketbook.

Comment

Later this afternoon I'll follow TGs recommendation and post it in Around Campfire. The bulk of the usual Hagerman suspects don't appear to have shown up.

Comment

Originally posted by beefiedoubleoh View Post
                              How does TPWD do their preference points? I've never applied for TWPD. Have applied at Hag twice now.
                              TPWD puts your name in the hat however many times = your perference points, just like buying more chances in a raffle; you could buy 50 chances and a guy who bought one could win!

Hagerman uses perference points like Colorado does. They use up all the applications with the most perference points before anyone else can draw. After you put in long enough you are guaranteed to draw.

Comment

Working...
                              X