Door to smoker froze up...any fix??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door to smoker froze up...any fix??

Hadn't used my smoker in a while & wondering if there is any fix in making it useable again. I was able to force it open but not anywhere close to working freely.

I beat on the hinges & hit it with heat with no results.

Get yourself some Liquid Wrench and spray it into the hinges

A little lube goes a long way

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
      get yourself some liquid wrench and spray it into the hinges

a little lube goes a long way
      twss

Comment

An old machinist from the oil patch told me a long time ago, that the best thing to use on parts that are rusted together to free them is hot water... Water is what stuck 'em together, and water is the best thing to get them to free up... I've had very good success with this over the years. If you don't have hot water, just water...
        The other thing you can do to get water (or oil) to the hinge pin, is drill a hole or 2 in the outside part of the hinge on top so oil/water can be poured into it and sit in the hole where it can migrate into the hinge innards... Had the same thing happen to my stick burner. My hinges were heavy walled enough I was able to drill 'em out and put in zerk fittings on 'em so I can grease 'em...

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
          Get yourself some Liquid Wrench and spray it into the hinges

A little lube goes a long way
          This.....and warm it up with a hammer

Comment

This machinist would cut off the old hinges and replace. But if that's not and option, just keep lubing and working to try to free it up.

Comment

I use lighter fluid on frozen stuff works great .

Comment

Kroil is another brand of penetrating oil that works for me--

Comment

Thanks gang...got it.

I had already tried kroil & lps with no luck so I figured if I'm gonna add water then I better get that out best I can so I hit with some degreaser. I added the hot water & that did the trick to having full motion again...still a little tight but useable. Figured I shouldn't leave the water in there so hit it with the degreaser again & guess that blew out the finer parts of the build up & woking freely once again.

Ya know, you would think after all these years I would ask here first. Could have saved myself a ton of sweat & a couple curse words!!

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
                    Kroll Oil for me

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      Thanks gang...got it.

I had already tried kroil & lps with no luck so I figured if I'm gonna add water then I better get that out best I can so I hit with some degreaser. I added the hot water & that did the trick to having full motion again...still a little tight but useable. Figured I shouldn't leave the water in there so hit it with the degreaser again & guess that blew out the finer parts of the build up & woking freely once again.

Ya know, you would think after all these years I would ask here first. Could have saved myself a ton of sweat & a couple curse words!!

Yep, if water froze it, water will free it...

Comment

I use PB Blaster on such things.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

Kroil is the best penetrant I have used,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
                            I use PB Blaster on such things.
                            That stuff will crawl uphill !

Comment

Kroil is super stuff but not for this particular application...the hot water worked it loose in less than a minute. I hit it with kroil after & has been sitting all day & the door is like new.

Before trying the water I covered it in my said favorite red juice & even use compressed air to help & nothing. I mean nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X