Have yet to have a pass through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aarongray View Post
    So far this season I have had 2 bow kills. Each deer dropped, flopped, and died where I shot them. Both arrows didn’t pass through and both broke with them flopping.

I shoot 60# with a 29.5 draw, slick trick magnum 100 grain,beaman ICS, total setup 370 grain, and both deer were at 20 yards hit in the lungs.

I’m glad the deer are down but I hate breaking my arrows.
    Ive never not had a complete pass thru, I’ve shot 40# draw when I was 12 up to 70 pound draw, now I’m 32 shooting a 60 pound draw with nugent gold tips that are pretty heavy and get a pass thru with mechanicals, maybe try a heavier arrow with some magnus stinger buzz cuts..

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      The only ones I have ever had drop were spined or one where I whiffed a shot into a feeder leg and it ricocheted into her neck.

That could be it. The two arrows on that’s deer went into 4-5 inches in and broke.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
        The question is, why am I not getting a passthrough?

When shooting a light arrow and yours is light. The broadhead type is what you look at. The head you are using is a good head. But it’s not good for your set up. Long profile heads are what you look for. No matter if it’s a 4,3, or 2 blade. 2 blade cut on contact is best. But even these heads may not give you the results you are looking for.

Next question is, what improves penetration potential. We will eliminate the bow, unless you are looking to buy another one. If so K.E is what you look at.

To increase penetration potential is increasing weight. You are shooting 60lbs. At that weight I recommend 8gpi min. So 480gr. Again that’s min 9gpi would be a better choice.

The fun part on post like this is people are going to tell you what does it matter. The deer are dead. This is correct. They are dead. Personally your reason to look at getting a pass through is not a reason I would look at. Breaking arrows is part of hunting. If the dear are dead don’t worry about it. When you start loosing deer because of this lack of penetration, then you need to fix.

I always recommend reading 12 penetration factors by Dr. Ashby.

Great answer! The Carbon Express Maxima 350 (9.1 grain) just went on sale so I’m gonna be getting those as well as talking to my bow shop about using brass inserts for next year.

Comment

Great answer! The Carbon Express Maxima 350 (9.1 grain) just went on sale so I’m gonna be getting those as well as talking to my bow shop about using brass inserts for next year.

Where are they on sale at? Ive been thinking of giving them a try as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
            Where are they on sale at? Ive been thinking of giving them a try as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cabela’s $25 off. I just searched arrows on sale and a lot of different arrows from different stores on sale popped up. Even some broadheads are $10 off.

My BIL said last year he bought 5 boxes of good arrows for $10 a piece. Idk what they were but I’m looking for deals.

Comment

Cabela’s $25 off. I just searched arrows on sale and a lot of different arrows from different stores on sale popped up. Even some broadheads are $10 off.

My BIL said last year he bought 5 boxes of good arrows for $10 a piece. Idk what they were but I’m looking for deals.
              I doubt they were “good” arrows if inly $10/doz., but you never know. My suggestion would be to stick with quality arrows, don’t go cheap.

Comment

Sounds more like a shot placement issue. True broad side lung shot should be a pass through with your setup.

Comment

So far this season I have had 2 bow kills. Each deer dropped, flopped, and died where I shot them. Both arrows didn’t pass through and both broke with them flopping.

I shoot 60# with a 29.5 draw, slick trick magnum 100 grain,beaman ICS, total setup 370 grain, and both deer were at 20 yards hit in the lungs.

I’m glad the deer are down but I hate breaking my arrows.
                  Sounds like you hit the spine. I shoot a 360gr arrow and pass throughs are the norm. My set up is very similar to yours.

2 bow kills, cant beat that.

We have had this conversation several times on here. I have always shot a 360gr arrow for 28 years. Shooting expandables and replaceable blade heads. I shoot a 75gr head, always have. With that setup I have killed over a hundred deer and a bunch of pigs. Pass through shots are the norm. So don't diss the light setup so quick.

Accuracy is the paramount.
                  Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I think it’s more a shot placement issue. I like heavy arrows (just put some velocity xt’s together for the Creed Xs that come in at 525gr). But my son shoots 47#, 25.5” DL & a 392gr BluRz. Head of choice 125gr Solid. He’s shot 2 hogs with his set up 1 a complete pass through the other exited the brisket & hit the upper part of the leg bone, it shattered the bone. Neither one of them made it more than 30yrds. But as his poundage goes up this next year so will the weight of his arrow. He’s only shooting around 220fps, but with that Solid broadhead that joker is deadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jon b View Post
                      the only ones i have ever had drop were spined or one where i whiffed a shot into a feeder leg and it ricocheted into her neck.
                      Whoa !!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X