Propane tank smoker build along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane tank smoker build along

This thread probably won't get updates very often, since we aren't in a hurry to build it, but I thought I'd post up some pictures of the build.

We started with a big round propane tank built in 1945.

My wife has some pictures of me plasma cutting the doors out. I'll upload them later. We marked a spot just below halfway down, cut along the weld beads, cut our line along the bottom, and cut it in half. We used a sledge hammer to "persuade" the plates out, and then it was a done deal.

Had a great night of drinking beer and firing it out. We ended up getting the paint off by letting the metal get cherry red, then hitting it with a hose. No worries about the 1/4" plate warping.

So far it's looking good. Next we will be welding hinges and handles on the doors, installing grates, then figuring out how we want to do the fire box (gonna be a sort of offset vertical rig).

It also makes a GREAT fire pit with the doors off. Reflects all that heat out.

Comment

Interesting build. Following along!

Probably should have stuck this in the DIY forum so it'll stay on the front page longer..

Comment

Don't see many round tanks anymore. Hehe thank could be a butane tank.

Comment

I like to see smoker builds... one day I'll do one.

Comment

Following along!

Comment

take the bottom and cut it off and flip it upside down and weld it up on the sides but leave the front and back open, weld it ontop of the firebox so now that bottom piece acts like a diffuser plate, air intakes low on the sides, build a rack in the firebox to slide out that sits just above the air intakes for clean fresh air

Comment

I like that idea. Might have to use it

Comment

i hope you undertand it with my wonderful microsoft paint drawing abilities!!!

Comment

I understand cutting the bottom off and inverting it. And I understand how to construct the firebox. Do you just leave little slits on the edges of the plate, or do you cut out sections for the smoke to come through?

Few pics:

Piercing the top to cut a hole for the smoke stack

Through and cutting

Torching the wood to fire it out

Comment

the way ive seen it done was on regular pipe, they cut about 8-10" wide and lets say 4' of the center bottom of a 6' piece of pipe then they flipped it upside down and stuck it back in the existing hole and welded the ends up leaving the front and back side open so the smoke rolls in both directions........

they just fit the firebox up to the bottom of the pipe like so.....
                      Last edited by whiteboycustom; 02-12-2013, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Got grates inside, smoke stack, doors done, just have to do the fire box.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty cool lookin hand.

Comment

We threw some twigs and leaves in it and set them on fire. It jumped up to 200 degrees and held it for a while. Thing is gonna be awesome. The handles we are going to cut and grind off the nubs going up and down.

Comment

I like that! Looking good

Comment

Working...
                              X