Question about thumb releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about thumb releases

I've been thinking bout going to a thumb release. I've read several post on here about them. I've got a question for y'all that use them...

Some models have a rotating head, some have just a hook with no swivel. Is one type better than the other... or they just different?

Is there a concern with torque for the models that don't swivel?

thanx

Mine does not swivel and I have not had a problem with it. They will eat your d-loop faster then a regular release, but the accuracy and groups you get with them are phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes you will add torque if you don't run a little longer loop. And if you turn your hand upside down which I wouldn't recommend you doing. I like my Scott sigma

Comment

I prefer the ones without a rotating head. But I also don't turn my hand when I draw. My thumb locks against my jaw bone and my index finger runs down my jaw line. I bring my hand to my anchor, and I don't move my head to the bow.

I have seen people shoot very well with their hand turned almost upside down with their thumb pointing at the ground.

You will have to draw your bow with a couple of different ones to see which feels best to you.

Comment

I never went away from one. I have used one my entire bowhunting career. Used a Hotshot string release made in Rockwall Texas up until it broke last year.

Comment

No need for a rotating head.

Also no need to twist your hand to an unnatural position. (I cringe when I see people putting their hand flattened out against their cheek, terribly uncomfortable position)

Find a natural and comfortable hand position for your anchor.

For me, it’s the space between my index and middle knuckle at the corner of my jawbone. My earlobe just touches the back of my hand.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

To each their own. Do what works best for you, not what appeases others.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                To each their own. Do what works best for you, not what appeases others.
                Ain't that the truth.

No need to tell me or others how it needs to be done. I turn my hand and use a D loop and a rotating head and have for years and have no problems with "unnatural hand position" or shooting accurately. But I have been doing this bowhunting thing only a few decades!

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                  I never went away from one. I have used one my entire bowhunting career. Used a Hotshot string release made in Rockwall Texas up until it broke last year.
                  I think I've got one of these somewhere. It was the first release I ever used of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    Ain't that the truth.

No need to tell me or others how it needs to be done. I turn my hand and use a D loop and a rotating head and have for years and have no problems with "unnatural hand position" or shooting accurately. But I have been doing this bowhunting thing only a few decades!
                    Agreed I switched to a thumb release (with rotating head) 2 years ago, and never looked back. It feels as comfortable and natural, as if I've been doing it my whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                      Agreed I switched to a thumb release (with rotating head) 2 years ago, and never looked back. It feels as comfortable and natural, as if I've been doing it my whole life.
                      Which one do you have?

I've been thinking bout the tru ball 3

Comment

I have the Cabelas one by Stan Archery. It has the silver hook, not the two sided clip thingy like the strap to your wrist releases. Way smoother......like my string release.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                          Ain't that the truth.

My dad did the same thing. I have his rotating head release......never liked it. I don't rotate my hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                            Which one do you have?

I shoot the Max hunter 3 and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              Which one do you have?

TRUFIRE 4 Finger EDGE

Excellent customer service, too! I dropped mine on a tile floor (100% my fault) and it broke. I contacted them about buying a replacement part, and they sent me a brand new release, for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X