Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifetime Transmission Fluid. That's one I've never experienced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
    If it's a ZF, I'd change the fluid anyway at 60k intervals. BMW tried to do this with the ZF 6HP transmission, until ZF stepped in and posted that the fluid should be changed every 60k.

I also changed my 4Runner's fluid at 100k. I don't do "lifetime fluid".
    But how do you "change" the fluid on something that has no dipstick, no fill tube, etc...??? I don't trust the dealer to do anything these days. The two I've used in past years can't fix one thing without breaking something else - Seriously - almost every single time. That's why I do all my own maintenance. I just don't trust dealers these days.

I'm thinking if I take a "sealed" unit to them, it isn't going to get changed, but I will get charged for it regardless. And how can I prove they didn't change it? It's sealed. So it's not like I can check it on a dipstick to see the color of the fluid, etc...
    All the best,
    Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      It's not that bad on a 16 cummins, gallon zip-lock over the oil filter contains all the oil when you drop it. Easy breasy no mess.
      Sometimes, the most simple solutions are overlooked. Excellent idea on the gallon zip lock over the oil filter. I'm going to try that next time. Thank you.
      All the best,
      Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by cajuntec View Post
        But how do you "change" the fluid on something that has no dipstick, no fill tube, etc...??? I don't trust the dealer to do anything these days. The two I've used in past years can't fix one thing without breaking something else - Seriously - almost every single time. That's why I do all my own maintenance. I just don't trust dealers these days.

I'm thinking if I take a "sealed" unit to them, it isn't going to get changed, but I will get charged for it regardless. And how can I prove they didn't change it? It's sealed. So it's not like I can check it on a dipstick to see the color of the fluid, etc...
        All the best,
        Glenn
        I do my own maintenance too.

Even on a "sealed" unit, there's still a fill plug (usually on the side), and usually a drain plug (or you just drop the pan). You're essentially changing it as you normally would (but it's more like a manual tranny or diff), and you'll most likely need a pump to install the fluid. You could always measure the fluid you remove, or use the MFR's procedure for filling the correct amount. If you're not measuring and since there's no dipstick, you usually have to ensure the tranny is at a certain operating temp, then open the fill plug or another plug used only for fluid measurement (Toyota) so any excess fluid can run out. Then seal up and you're done.

Comment

Do not buy into there lifetime fluid BS from manufacturers on any make and model of veh, to the OP ur new Ram truck has a ZF8HP SERIES TRANSMISSION which is a BMW UNIT which is run in there X6 vehicles and have been having lots of problems in BMW'S and Rams. I see this weekly as a automotive inspector that works for OEM manufacturers and extended service contracts. Saw 2 Ram 1500 last week with shifting concerns at Dodge dealerships. As for checking the fluid on ur ZF8HP UNLESS YOU have a scan tool to monitor Trans temp ur screwed, fluid is checked between 88-120 degrees Fahrenheit with the level plug removed.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SAVIOUR68 View Post
            Do not buy into there lifetime fluid BS from manufacturers on any make and model of veh, to the OP ur new Ram truck has a ZF8HP SERIES TRANSMISSION which is a BMW UNIT which is run in there X6 vehicles and have been having lots of problems in BMW'S and Rams. I see this weekly as a automotive inspector that works for OEM manufacturers and extended service contracts. Saw 2 Ram 1500 last week with shifting concerns at Dodge dealerships. As for checking the fluid on ur ZF8HP UNLESS YOU have a scan tool to monitor Trans temp ur screwed, fluid is checked between 88-120 degrees Fahrenheit with the level plug removed.

Dodge using BMW trannies is as stupid as BMW using Chevy trannies.

Comment

Are you sure about this statement? Because I read about the ZF group, makers of this transmission, supplying the same 8 speed transmission to over 25 different makes / models. One article I found on the transmission from PM said this:

According to ZF's Bryan Johnson, the 8HP is popular because it is a great multitasker. "We design it to be as flexible as possible," Johnson says. "We sell it as a kit, rather than working to fit within the unique constraints of one manufacturer—which keeps costs low and maximizes potential applications."
              and this...

According to Johnson, the 8HP has fewer parts than the company's previous 6HP six-speed automatic and still fits in the same packaging. That means manufacturers need to make only minimal changes to adapt the 8HP to existing powertrains and need not worry about major structural issues. ZF works most closely with automakers on the software side, adjusting the transmission's electronic calibration for things such as shift strategy and the speed of the gearshifts.

But the options on the 8HP go beyond software programming. Different internal clutch packs can be used depending on a manufacturer's specific torque requirements. The transmission has a range of 221 lb-ft to a massive 738 lb-ft, but most applications land between 330 and 550 lb-ft. Further available add-ons include a power takeoff for all-wheel drive, an engine stop/start system, or even a 47-hp electric motor in place of the torque converter for hybrid vehicles.
              So it doesn't sound like it's a "BMW UNIT", because ZF isn't owned by BMW. I do believe from further reading that BMW was the first client for this transmission, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a BMW unit. It sounds like it's a variation of the unit produced for BMW, but with different requirements to meet the needs of the Ram trucks (and other vehicles with the "same" transmission).

All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

Are you sure about this statement? Because I read about the ZF group, makers of this transmission, supplying the same 8 speed transmission to over 25 different makes / models. One article I found on the transmission from PM said this:

and this...

So it doesn't sound like it's a "BMW UNIT", because ZF isn't owned by BMW. I do believe from further reading that BMW was the first client for this transmission, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a BMW unit. It sounds like it's a variation of the unit produced for BMW, but with different requirements to meet the needs of the Ram trucks (and other vehicles with the "same" transmission).

All the best,
                Glenn
                You would be very surprised how many different car mfgrs use transmissions and rear ends that are all made by the same company. Most car mfgrs don't build there own. They are outsourced to companies such as Borg Warner, Allison, Dana Spicer etc

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                  You would be very surprised how many different car mfgrs use transmissions and rear ends that are all made by the same company. Most car mfgrs don't build there own. They are outsourced to companies such as Borg Warner, Allison, Dana Spicer etc
                  Oh, I'm not surprised at all that many manufacturers use drivetrain parts from those companies. I was surprised by the statement that it was a "BMW unit".

But my fears of going to the dealer are starting to play out already. I called them earlier. My service adviser was out to lunch, and there was NOBODY else that could answer my questions. So there is one guy... only one... at an entire dealership, that can answer my question of "When should I change my transmission fluid in this truck, and how much will it cost?"

I've been waiting for that same service adviser to call me back when "recall parts" were available. It's been about a year now. I have received a few recall notices for my truck, but when you call them to have the recall service performed, they tell you that the parts aren't available right now, so they can't schedule you for the service. Then why send out the recall notice??? Get a good inventory of the necessary parts (you have a good idea of how many vehicles were affected), and then send out the recall notice! I know it's not just Ram. I've heard the same stories from my friends with various makes. But it does reinforce my distrust (and disgust) of dealerships.

All the best,
                  Glenn

Comment

Oh, I'm not surprised at all that many manufacturers use drivetrain parts from those companies. I was surprised by the statement that it was a "BMW unit".

But my fears of going to the dealer are starting to play out already. I called them earlier. My service adviser was out to lunch, and there was NOBODY else that could answer my questions. So there is one guy... only one... at an entire dealership, that can answer my question of "When should I change my transmission fluid in this truck, and how much will it cost?"

I've been waiting for that same service adviser to call me back when "recall parts" were available. It's been about a year now. I have received a few recall notices for my truck, but when you call them to have the recall service performed, they tell you that the parts aren't available right now, so they can't schedule you for the service. Then why send out the recall notice??? Get a good inventory of the necessary parts (you have a good idea of how many vehicles were affected), and then send out the recall notice! I know it's not just Ram. I've heard the same stories from my friends with various makes. But it does reinforce my distrust (and disgust) of dealerships.

All the best,
                    Glenn
                    I have only seen this unit in BMW'S EVER until Chrysler, Dodge , these units were designed for a specific manufacturer PERIOD. It's very common that when manufacturers need a specific transmission or engine they will look on the market to see what's there and if the design is exclusively made ONLY for another company or they allow it to be sold elsewhere.
                    Chrysler' mother company if Fiat which is over seas

Comment

Odd. I changed the oil in my wife's Jeep tonight, and while I was doing maintenance and already had oily hands to remind me, I checked my Ram truck schedule to see what maintenance was coming up soon.

Probably due for an air filter. Check. Get that this week.

Hmmm... 100K on plugs and antifreeze. That's nice.

Shouldn't I be coming up on a transmission fluid change soon? Checking, checking, 6 speed @ 60K - got it. I don't have a 6 speed. I have an 8 speed. Where's it at? Flipping through pages... nothing.

Got online and started poking around in the Dodge and Ram forums. Lifetime fluid? WHAT? From what I'm reading, they made this 8 speed a sealed unit - no maintenance. Basically... drive it till the wheels fall off.

... and before you Dodge / Ram haters reply... someone already beat you to the "Ram must have realized their trucks won't last long enough to do a transmission change" zinger. Ha!

All the best,
                      Glenn
                      Its the Mercedes transmissions, they don't do tranny fluid change. A lot of tranny shops are getting away from that as well.

Comment

I should have also stated that some one meaning a specific company paid them to design this unit and will allow it to be sold elsewhere for royalty revenue $$$$$$$$$$$.
                        If you read the ZF website it also points that this was first used in BMW'S which may point toward the money supporting sponsors, in the US I have only seen these in BMW'S and Dodge Rams but may be sold elsewhere.

Comment

I read the ZF website fairly extensively today. From what I understand, ZF purposely built this to be used in a large variety of vehicles, and not one specific customer. I've found mention of the transmission being used in Ram, BMW, Maserati, Rolls Royce, VW, Jaguar, and more. So although Ram and BMW may be the most common here in the US, it seems that it's attached to some high end customers as well.

This automatic transmission by German parts supplier ZF group is found in 25 powertrain arrangements across many car brands, making it one seriously great eight.

All the best,
                          Glenn

Comment

Got through to the dealership today. They recommend having it "checked" at 120K. When I expressed my concerns to him, he reminded me I have a 100K warranty on the drivetrain.

Having all three of the recall notices taken care of on Monday (all passive restraint related - module, steering column airbag wire, and side curtain airbag).

All the best,
                            Glenn

Comment

Good luck on your journey Glenn, but why would they suggested that you have it checked AFTER your power train warranty expires.

Comment

Good luck on your journey Glenn, but why would they suggested that you have it checked AFTER your power train warranty expires.

Thanks. So they could sell me a new truck when it blows up at 101K? . I know, I know... It will be checked sooner than that.
                                All the best,
                                Glenn

Comment

Working...
                                X