School me on wenches -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on wenches -

Ok, as the title goes. I need to educate myself on wenches.

The boat I have is a PITA to get in and out of the garage. Mostly getting it in.

I've got a two car garage, but its the two single door openings. I have a .5" to 1" clearance no the left and right side of the boat to get it back in or out.

Saw this video and now have a project to be excited about, but before you watch, what size wench is this guy probably using, and how did he anchor it to the floor?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLu993c07o"]How to Garage Your Boat - YouTube[/ame]

Winch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He told someone in the comments it's a 5000lb harbor freight winch. I'm sure you could just use some wedge anchors to bolt it down to the concrete.

Comment

Oh, you mean WINCH. I thought this was going to get good talking about a wench
        wench (wĕnch)
        n. Archaic
        1. A young woman or girl.
        2. A woman servant.
        3. A promiscuous woman or a prostitute.

Comment

I would just practice your backing.

Comment

I looked it up and got this? Pirate wench, I bet she can hell pull or push the boat

Comment

Comment

Make sure they can hold their rum. Last thing you need on the boat is a mouthy wench. Neat idea that guy has, wouldn't think you'd need a really huge winch.

Comment

There's a guy, that knows he can't back a trailer for crap, so he winches his boat in. Looks like he had his garage custom made to store a boat.

As far as winching a boat, I noticed with one of the winches I bought years ago, that had a 5,000 lb. rating. It said that the 5,000 lb. rating was how much it could pull, on flat ground with wheels under whatever the object is. That same 5,000 lb. winch, would just barely pull my 2,600 lb. car up onto my car trailer. It took everything that winch had to get the front of the car up the ramp, over the step from the ramp to the trailer. Once I had the front tires on the bed of the trailer, it would pull the car very easily the rest of the way up the trailer.

I needed more like a 7,000 to 8,000 lb. winch just for that 2,600 lb. car. But that was to get it up the ramps. Once the whole car was on the trailer, it pulled the car easily.

So find out what your boat weighs and then get a winch for a bit more weight than your boat, you should be good.
                  Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-14-2021, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Wench + Snatchblock
                    Winch + snatchblock.

2 very different conversations.

Comment

Wenches? They’re complicated…
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cory.Shumate View Post
                        Wench + Snatchblock
                        A wench with a snatchblock is worthless. They work great with a winch.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                          Oh, you mean WINCH. I thought this was going to get good talking about a wench
                          wench (wĕnch)
                          n. Archaic
                          1. A young woman or girl.
                          2. A woman servant.
                          3. A promiscuous woman or a prostitute.
                          U beat me too it....lol!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

It shouldn't be too hard, you can get cheap 110v winches from Harbor Freight, Amazon, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, etc. I just don't think it would take much of a winch to roll a boat into a garage.

When they rate winches I think alot of the time they are rating them with a double line, that is, running the cable through a pulley to double it's pulling power. So when you look at the weight rating a single line pull may be half of what the stated rating is. Even so on flat ground you can roll a boat around by hand so it just can't take that much to roll it into the garage, even over the little step up at the garage door.

Looks like he set some bolts in the slab to attach the winch. You can buy concrete anchors to secure the winch to.

Comment

Get a motorized or electric dolly.

Comment

Working...
                              X