ice storm worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ice storm worse

as I read more and more reports from all over, this ice storm looks to be the biggest weather damage system to ever hit Texas. IKE and Harvey were really east Texas. this cold has effects from all points of the state. crops in the vally are gone, fish kills, water damage.
    bad stuff.

Idk if its worse than '83 but I hunted the '89 storm so I think this one was worse than '89.

Comment

I do not know. I agree that by area this is bad as in all of state. However, I think it depends on other factors that may not be known yet. One of these would be how long a home or business is down due to damage. The concentration of damage from a hurricane is greater for a given area and takes longer to repair. Example a building or home leveled vs water damage but might still be usable or open up faster. No question this affected more people.

Comment

The hardware from other counties were shifted to the coastal stores for a hurricane. This cold weather has screwed the pooch all over the state, and others. We are going to be harder pressed for hardware now than with harvey imo.

Comment

Here is some commentary from an analyst in our market.
          This was a massive hit to Texas and parts of the gulf coast and reveals some serious issues with infrastructure and planning. The total cost both residential and commercial will blow any hurricane bill out of the water, it won’t even be close.

“
          I’ve covered lots and lots of hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc. I’ve never experienced anything like this. You can escape those other events – drive out of a storm’s path, go to higher ground. There was no escaping this, given how widespread the freeze was through much of the US. Other regions are built for this, but nothing in our region here is, and I expect the fallout on commodity markets to be pretty acute for some time. These restarts – petchems and refineries and other industrial plants – will be long and painful, and the inspections are going to have to be a lot more comprehensive than even after Hurricane Harvey.
          “

Just to put the loss of production in perspective:

FORCE MAJEURES
          ** Westlake Chemical: Declared Feb. 19 on US caustic soda, chlorine, PVC and VCM; company has 2.9 million mt/year of US caustic soda capacity, more than 2 million mt/year of PVC capacity, 2.6 million mt/year of VCM; more than 2.26 million mt/year of chlorine capacity at five affected sites

** Vestolit: Declared Feb. 16 on PVC produced at its Colombia and Mexico plants on lack of upstream vinyl chloride monomer feedstock from US suppliers; plants have a combined 1.8 million mt/year of capacity

Formosa Plastics USA: Declared Feb. 18 on US PVC, 1.3 million mt/year of capacity at Point Comfort, Texas, and Baton Rouge, Louisiana, complexes.

** Dow Chemical: Declared Feb. 18 on multiple intermediate chemicals produced at plants in Deer Park, Freeport, Texas City and Bayport Texas, Hahnville, Louisiana, and Louisville, Kentucky; declaration includes vinyl acetate monomer (VAM), methyl methacrylate (MMA), glacial methacrylic acid (GMAA), butyl methacrylate (BMA), glycidyl methacrylate (GMA), 2-ethylhexyl Acrylate (2EHA), butyl acrylate (BA), and others; Dow informed South American customers

** Celanese: Declared Feb. 18 on multiple intermediate chemicals normally sold to customers in the US, Europe and the Middle East, including acetic acid, VAM, ethyl acetate and ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA)

** Total: Declared Feb. 17 on polypropylene produced at its 1.15 million mt/year La Porte, Texas, facility

** Formosa Plastics USA: Declared Feb. 17 on all chlor-alkali products

** LyondellBasell: Declared Feb. 15 on US polyethylene

** Flint Hills Resources: Declared Feb. 15 on polypropylene produced at Longview, Texas

** Olin: Declared Feb. 16 on US chlorine, caustic soda, ethylene dichloride, epoxy, hydrochloric acid and other products produced at its Freeport, Texas, complex.

** OxyChem: Declared Feb. 15 on US chlorine, caustic soda, EDC, vinyl chloride monomer and polyvinyl chloride.

** LyondellBasell: Declared Feb. 15 on US polypropylene

INEOS Olefins and Polymers USA: Declared Feb. 15 on polypropylene

** OQ Chemicals: Declared Feb. 15 on US oxo-alcohols, aldehydes, acids and esters produced at its Bat City, Texas, operations

SHUTDOWNS
          ** Dow Chemical: 750,000 propane dehydrogenation (PDH) unit, Freeport, Texas

MEGlobal: 750,000 mt/year monoethylene glycol (MEG) plant, Freeport, Texas

Formosa Plastics USA: 513,000 mt/year PVC, 653,000 mt/year VCM, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

** Total: 1.15 million mt/year PP, La Porte, Texas

Lotte Chemical: 700,000 mt/year MEG, Lake Charles, Louisiana

** Sasol: 380,000 mt/year EO/MEG, Lake Charles, Louisiana

** Braskem: 360,000 mt/year PP Freeport, Texas; 475,000 mt/year PP La Porte, Texas; 225,000 mt/year PP Seadrift, Texas

** ExxonMobil: Cumulative 1.53 million mt/year from three units, HDPE and LLDPE capacity, Mont Belvieu, Texas

** Indorama Ventures: Port Neches, Texas, 235,867 mt/year cracker, 1 million mt/year ethylene oxide/MEG unit, 238,135 mt/year propylene oxide unit, and 988,000 mt/year of MTBE capacity; Clear Lake, Texas, 435,000 mt/year EO, 358,000 mt/year MEG.

** Olin: Freeport, Texas complex, with 3 million mt/year of caustic soda and 2.73 million mt/year of chlorine capacity; 748,000 mt/year of EDC

** OxyChem: Ingleside, Texas, 544,000 mt/year cracker; 248,000 mt/year chlor-alkali; 680,000 mt/year EDC; Deer Park and Pasadena, Texas, 1.27 million mt in PVC capacity; 1.79 million mt/year of VCM capacity; 580,000 mt/year chlor-alkali

** Shintech: Freeport, Texas: 1.45 million mt/year PVC

** Formosa Plastics USA: Entire Point Comfort, Texas, complex, including three crackers with a cumulative capacity of 2.76 million mt/year; 875,000 mt/year of high density polyethylene; 400,000 mt/year of low density PE; 465,000 mt/year of linear low density PE; two PP units with combined capacity of 1.7 million mt/year; 798,000 mt/year of PVC; 1 million mt/year of caustic soda and 910,000 mt/year of chlorine; 753,000 mt/year of VCM; 1.478 million mt/year of EDC; and a cumulative 1.17 million mt/year of monoethylene glycol operated by sister company Nan Ya Plastics.

** ExxonMobil: Baytown, Texas, refining and chemical complex, including three crackers with a combined capacity of 3.8 million mt/year; 800,000 mt/year PP

** ExxonMobil: Beaumont, Texas, refining and chemical complex, including an 826,000 mt/year cracker; 225,000 mt/year HDPE; 240,000 mt/year LDPE; 1.19 million mt/year LLDPE with some HDPE capacity

** Dow Chemical: Certain units offline within Dow sites along the US Gulf Coast, but the company did not specify. Dow's Gulf Coast operations include a complex at Freeport, Texas, with three crackers able to produce a combined 3.2 million mt/year, two LDPE units with 552,000 mt/year and 186,000 mt/year HDPE; Dow's Seadrift, Texas, complex includes 490,000 mt/year LLDPE and 390,000 mt/year HDPE; Dow told South American customers in a letter dated Feb. 16 that the company was assessing impact on PE production capacity "and we know that our ability to supply various products could be affected.”

** TPC Group: Houston site shut down, including 544,310 mt/year butadiene unit, when boilers lost steam

** Motiva Chemicals: Port Arthur, 635,000 mt/year mixed-feed cracker

** Shell: Deer Park, Texas, refining and chemical complex, including two crackers with a combined 961,000 mt/year of capacity

** Shell: Norco, Louisiana, refining and chemical complex, including two crackers with a combined capacity of 1.42 million mt/year

** Chevron Phillips Chemical: Pasadena, Texas, 998,000 mt/year HDPE

PRICES
          ** US spot polymer-grade propylene prices hit a fresh all-time high Feb. 19 of $1.05.25/lb FD USG, surpassing the previous all-time high of 98 cents/lb reached Feb. 9-11, with all three US propane dehydrogenation plants shut down, one pre-freeze for planned work and the other two on the freeze.

** US spot MTBE prices surged to a near one-year high Feb. 19 188.31 cents/gal FOB USG, up 9.10 cents/gal, just under 193.30 cents/gal reached on Feb. 25, 2020.

** US spot ethylene prices rose throughout the week as supply tightened on cracker outages; FD Mont Belvieu ended Feb. 19 at 45.25 cents/lb, up 5.25 cents/lb since Feb. 16, and FD Choctaw ended Feb. 19 at 40.25 cents/lb, up 3.25 cents/lb in the same span

** US polymer prices held steady amid muted activity amid power outages

PORTS AND RAILROADS
          ** Houston Ship Channel: shut mid-afternoon Feb. 14; reopened Feb. 16 until late afternoon; reopened morning of Feb. 17 until evening; reopened morning Feb. 18; fog expected the week of Feb. 22 as temperatures rise

** Sabine Pass: port shut mid-afternoon Feb. 14, resumed inbound traffic midday Feb. 16, shut Feb. 17, reopened Feb. 18

** Corpus Christi: port shut Feb. 14, resumed boarding vessels Feb. 16 until late evening when shut again per weather; resumed boarding midday Feb. 17; closed Feb. 18 due to fog

** Union Pacific advised customers Feb. 18 that recovery efforts were making progress as weather conditions improved, and commercial power and water were slowly returning to areas of its network in Texas, though ongoing road closures hindered moving crews through the South.

** BNSF Railway advised customers on Feb. 16 that many trains in Texas were holding due to widespread power outages and road closures that affected movement of train crews and other personnel, and delays in shipments were expected to last until conditions improve.

** Kansas City Southern advised Feb. 18 that the freeze has significantly delayed cross-border north and southbound traffic between Texas and Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
            Idk if its worse than '83 but I hunted the '89 storm so I think this one was worse than '89.
            This one was worse imo because there wa a lot more ice n snow this time and I think this one lasted longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
              This one was worse imo because there wa a lot more ice n snow this time and I think this one lasted longer.
              maybe worse in snow department, but 83 lasted 10 solid days, this was a day or two short of that.

Comment

We were doing good until the city had a busted water main and killed our water out for four hours. When it came back on it cracked every pipe and union in the house. Hopefully the plumber can start on our complete repipe next week? To add insult to injury I had to go to work before the water came back on and all the water flowing under the house washed our piers out causing the house to shift and sheetrock crack. I know insurance is going to try and stick it to me so I’m already searching for someone to assist. This is going to cost 10’s of thousands to repair.

Micheal

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                  maybe worse in snow department, but 83 lasted 10 solid days, this was a day or two short of that.
                  I couldn’t remember how long 83 lasted. Me and my bride were newlyweds that year.
                  We made it through both. 83 was more fun.

Comment

Harvey and Ike was way worse for a lot of people in most southern counties. There where houses and businesses at total loss of everything for months not just a few days that racked up in the billions of dollars. I would take these 3-4 days over a major flood of hurricane any day. The cleanup after one of these events is months not days I know first hand. I just can’t understand how people can’t prepare for a storm they know is coming then complain it’s someone else fault. I was working when we had a pipe burst in the garage wife called said she turned off the water and everything was fine got home fixed pipe done. We lost power ok it happens in storms don’t blame anyone just handle yourself and take care of your family.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
                      as I read more and more reports from all over, this ice storm looks to be the biggest weather damage system to ever hit Texas. IKE and Harvey were really east Texas. this cold has effects from all points of the state. crops in the vally are gone, fish kills, water damage.
                      bad stuff.
                      Hey Bryan S., in your initial statement you state that Hurricane Harvey was really east Texas, yes east Texas got the rath of Harvey with the massive flooding although the eye came on land near Port Aransas, then Rockport and after crossing Copano Bay and the eye of the big blow skirted Bayside and then moved inland and then headed for "east Texas". I seriously think anyone down this way would not agree with your statement.

This freeze was absolute a doozy for the Great State of Texas and many others.
                      Just wanting to set the record straight pertaining to us folks from down here.
                      .......cC

Comment

It’s bad!

Comment

Originally posted by Copanocruisin View Post
                          Hey Bryan S., in your initial statement you state that Hurricane Harvey was really east Texas, yes east Texas got the rath of Harvey with the massive flooding although the eye came on land near Port Aransas, then Rockport and after crossing Copano Bay and the eye of the big blow skirted Bayside and then moved inland and then headed for "east Texas". I seriously think anyone down this way would not agree with your statement.

This freeze was absolute a doozy for the Great State of Texas and many others.
                          Just wanting to set the record straight pertaining to us folks from down here.
                          .......cC
                          Harvey and Ike did not touch Dallas or Austin. re-read what I posted. nor did IKE come close to Del Rio, the vally.

Comment

It’s hard to compare to Harvey but I know most of the state was **** down for a week. Zero production out of many businesses. Production that you will never make up. This storm kicked economy’s butt.

Comment

Originally posted by bryan sandlin View Post
                              Harvey and Ike did not touch Dallas or Austin. re-read what I posted. nor did IKE come close to Del Rio, the vally.
                              There was a ton of flooding in central Texas from Harvey. It rained like all hell in Georgetown. I know of severe flooding in La Grange. The Colorado river flooded bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X