Best Spinning Tackle for Colorado Alpine Lakes/Streams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Spinning Tackle for Colorado Alpine Lakes/Streams

My brother and I headed to Colorado for a few days of backpacking and camping in July at some Alpine lakes near Buena Vista, Colorado.

Never have fished for trout or anything else for that matter in CO.

We will be using two piece ultra light spinning rods/reels.

What should I buy for this trip as far as tackle?

TIA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mepps in blue, silver, and white. Get a few bc you may hook on rocks. And as much I hate to use them, Powerbair trout bites in orange and pink, and salmon eggs fished with a weight and bobber

Comment

I always slayed them with Mepps. Most and biggest fish anytime we went out.

Comment

Panther Martin- yellow body red dots silver blade size 1 and 2
        Rooster tail- white with silver blade is pretty universal in a lot of places
        Mepps aglia- gold, silver, bronze w/ and w/o squirrel tail dressing
        Blue fox vibrax
        Joes flies
        Trout magnet jigs
        Marabou jigs
        Jig head with mister twister curly tail grub black or white
        Last resort: Berkley 3” trout worms

Smallest size spinners and jigs and no heavier than 4lb line.

Comment

Comment

Here's my tackle for small streams and lakes. Also get a couple of Kastmasters and Super Duper lures, they work well on lakes when fish are rising out from the shore. You can cast them quite a ways and in some of the smaller lakes the fish will rise just out from shore for casting with spinners.
            The spinners range in size from #1,#2,#4 and #6. The #1 may need a very small spilt shot if the skinny water is fast flowing.
            I pinch the barbs down, yes you will lose some fish but releasing them is much easier.
            #2 and #4 size lures are what I use most often.
            Attached Files

Comment

just like wytex said.....and get some small kastmasters and super dupers along with next size up.
              some reel set ups dont cast the smaller lures well, so get some small slit shots to add in front just in case you need them. post up the ldp's for us later

Comment

Spinners like Panther Martin and Mepps but also the little 2" lipped Rapala minnows.

When my kids were small we use to fish some little ponds up at Taylor Park and they would catch all they wanted to catch on power bait. I got power bait that floats, maybe it all does, IDK, and used light wire dry fly hooks. I tied 5x tippet to my mainline and added a small fly fishing sized splitshot or two above the knot. I used about a 2' leader and tied on a small dry fly hook. The hook was light enough that the power bait would float it up off the bottom. I kinda formed the power bait into a worm looking shape around the hook. It was deadly on those ponds. My kids easily caught them 10 to 1 over the kids fishing powerbait under bobbers.

Comment

Colorado is very "micro-managed" as far as fishing regulations go. BEFORE you get there, download the fishing regulations for every body of water you think you may fish. Even rivers and streams have different regulations on the same river based on location. One of the most common mistakes is fishing with a barbed hook in a "barbless" area.

Comment

bright orange Z-ray or super duper

Comment

Panther Martin yellow with Red dots and the one with black dots in different sizes. They never fail

Comment

When they refuse to hit the Mepps, bust out the red wigglers or nightcrawlers.

Comment

After many decades living in Colorado and Montana, if I was given 1 lure only to survive on for trout it would be a Black with yellow spots/ gold spoon Panther Martin.

Comment

I going on a backpacking trip near the Conejos at the same time but packing in 2 fly rods instead of an ultralight. (One western, and one Tenkara style)

Anyone have good fly recommendations for either cutthroat or brookies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent you a Pm buddy!

Comment

Working...
                              X